Warmer Climate

collinedward

Warmer Climate

Post by collinedward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 am

I recently moved down to Gulfport, MS unfortunately. I was looking at the average temps of October thru January and they are still in the low to mid 70's or higher. Neither dog has been hunting in temps that high. I'm also concerned that since male is extremely large in size for a GSP(not fat) it will be hard on him. Is this something I can condition him for or will I have keep my hunting trips short? If a dog is panting heavy do they still find birds well?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Warmer Climate

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Get the dogs on a conditioning regimen. Start light and build up. Conditioning is the biggest factor in heat tolerance, though genetics and other factors certainly figure in.

They are absolutely not going to smell as well if their tongues are hanging out...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm

No evidence here, but people say dogs on grain-free or lower carbohydrate foods do noticeably better. Victor makes some nice ones that wont break the back like the others.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47 pm

I wouldn't give any mind to *anything* else till I had the dogs in shape. It's 99% of the deal. Anything else...and I've heard a lot of them...is chasing the other 1%.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I wouldn't give any mind to *anything* else till I had the dogs in shape. It's 99% of the deal. Anything else...and I've heard a lot of them...is chasing the other 1%.
True, but in that part of country it could be more than 1%.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm

That is what I figured.. Neither dog is no where near being out of shape , but haven't been ran hard in warmer temps. Of course now it is way too hot for running and almost too hot for swimming. I checked the temp of the pond by our house and it was sitting around 92 degrees. I just wasn't sure if they could be conditioned for the warmer weather..

Once they are conditioned for the warm weather will it effect them when we going hunting in cold weather?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I wouldn't give any mind to *anything* else till I had the dogs in shape. It's 99% of the deal. Anything else...and I've heard a lot of them...is chasing the other 1%.
There is no evidence that I have ever seen that says which par of the country you are in chages much of anything.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:
There is no evidence that I have ever seen that says which par of the country you are in chages much of anything.

Ezzy
Sure it matters, come on. You are generally critical for the sake of being critical. You talk about "hot" vs "cold" foods more than anyone, and you are right in bringing it up. Would you pick a food with a lot of oats or barley where the dog is going to be out in 80 degree or higher heat on a regular basis?

No

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:27 pm

I am from south Louisiana get them dogs in shape, start slowly and build up stamina. They will acclimate in due time, you gonna need to have some water on hand thou keep them hydrated.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

When you guys say start light... what does that mean? 1 mile vs 5 miles? 5 minutes of roading vs 30 minutes?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Light is subjective word sorry. I don't put a distance or time limit on it at first, I let the dogs dictate what they can take and I go from there increasing intensity and duration gradually as dogs acclimate.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 am

If they are exercised such that they can handle running in the heat they will transition to cooler weather just fine. It's the other way that causes problems...asking dogs to perform beyond their conditioning in hot weather.

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:38 am

Are you guys talking about roading for conditioning or just taking them out in the field and letting them run. At what age is it safe to start roading dogs. In order to guarantee my pups hips and such my breeder said he did not want him roaded before a year old.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:46 am

We're talking about over load training. Roading, dragging chains, pushing with an ATV, etc.

With a young dog, I would take it easy. Just something that they can get in a good run. Don't over do it. Watch them close. Keep them hydrated and wet.