Dogs is in Heat, HELP!!! Im going crazy...

media310

Dogs is in Heat, HELP!!! Im going crazy...

Post by media310 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:09 am

My dog came into heat last week while we were out west visiting my family. This is my first time dealing with this so any help or advise would be awesome. I have tried to get doggie diapers but she just chews them off the get to the blood, yummy I know.. She is spotting everywhere so I have her in her kennel most of the time. Constantly licking and trying to clean herself.

What am I to do, how long will the bleeding last? I am male and having hard time connecting with her right.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Dogs is in Heat, HELP!!! Im going crazy...

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:59 am

Try to be patient cause it will last a few weeks..im going threw having my first female at home while in heat as ive boarded females in the past..just let her clean herself and you can put a cone on her to prevent her from tearing the diaper off..you can buy one at petsmart or from the vet for like 10 bucks..it looks like a lampshade lol, OR you can just leave her in her crate or kennel and clean it out a few times a day..just take a breath and relax try to remember she has no control over it and she dont understand why the diapers on just like a new pup chews the leash or digs at their collar it takes time and patience to teach them to leave it alone, good luck....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:05 am

It's not her fault she's in season. If you can't handle it why don't you spay her. She'll be in season for 3 weeks straight. If she's spotting through the house try crating her. I see someone edited out all your swear words.......... :roll:

Judy
Last edited by Crystal kennels on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

dbhowell23

Post by dbhowell23 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:31 am

I've used pull up diapers in the past. They work great, you can just throw them away and can cut a hole with a pair of scissors for the tail.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Years ago I used to put little boys underwear on a female Gordon. Tail through the fly and sew an old rag in the spot where you need to absorb.

Then just throw them in the wash.
Steve

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:20 pm

all my setters are in heat for 3-4 weeks but the bleeding only last 7-8 days before it stops.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Heavy bleeding should be over in about 10 days then it turns sort of watery pink for a few more days, but watch her for at least 3 weeks unless you want puppies.

media310

Post by media310 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:44 pm

sorry if I used profanity? Got an email saying "I have been warned"..

Anyways I think maybe the fact I am a male that lives alone this is just weird for me and my dog. I have taken the diapers off and all is good. Covers on the furniture rooms with carpet are closed and I can easily wipe a spill off the floor. Seems to be less now, but gosh all mighty is she swollen up. Looks very gross..

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:48 am

When our female is in heat I tend to use little boys boxer briefs and a pad in her shorts. I find they are less bulky and annoying to her than doggie diapers. I've blogged about it before and if you would like to see the pics of her shorts I use ect follow the link: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eason.html

Best of luck btw. Your first time around it seems to go on forever. But once you find a system that works for you its nothing more than a nuisance.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 am

Spay her and you won't have to deal with this. And she won't have mammary cancer - bitches that are spayed early have very little incidences of mammary cancer. Do your research and make an informed decision. Our 2 EP's and our GSP are spayed. We know the breeders and if we think our dog is the best dog ever and she wins consistently, we'll buy another pup from that line. We don't have to put off hunting or running our dogs in Hunt Test because of them being in heat. It's much more convenient not to have the intact female.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 am

RoostersMom wrote:Spay her and you won't have to deal with this. And she won't have mammary cancer - bitches that are spayed early have very little incidences of mammary cancer. Do your research and make an informed decision. Our 2 EP's and our GSP are spayed. We know the breeders and if we think our dog is the best dog ever and she wins consistently, we'll buy another pup from that line. We don't have to put off hunting or running our dogs in Hunt Test because of them being in heat. It's much more convenient not to have the intact female.
And even more convient to have a stuffed doggy. No cancer and if it is the best stuffed doggy you can go back to the store and get another one.

Or you can buy a real live puppy and take care of it, train it, and if you decide to neuter it then wait till it is best for the dog and not what you think might be more convient for you. Think they call that responsible dog ownership.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Wow... :?

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:And even more convient to have a stuffed doggy. No cancer and if it is the best stuffed doggy you can go back to the store and get another one.
My stuffed doggy is great, he/it points everything; literally. I just wish that I could get him/it to retrieve. :mrgreen:
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
RoostersMom wrote:Spay her and you won't have to deal with this. And she won't have mammary cancer - bitches that are spayed early have very little incidences of mammary cancer. Do your research and make an informed decision. Our 2 EP's and our GSP are spayed. We know the breeders and if we think our dog is the best dog ever and she wins consistently, we'll buy another pup from that line. We don't have to put off hunting or running our dogs in Hunt Test because of them being in heat. It's much more convenient not to have the intact female.
And even more convient to have a stuffed doggy. No cancer and if it is the best stuffed doggy you can go back to the store and get another one.

Or you can buy a real live puppy and take care of it, train it, and if you decide to neuter it then wait till it is best for the dog and not what you think might be more convient for you. Think they call that responsible dog ownership.

Ezzy

You don't need to be a weinie.

Have you even seen the posts by this guy? He is overwhelmed by a lot to do with his dog. My opinion - which by the way, is just as valid as yours, is that in the case of this dog and this owner, spaying the dog would be better for him. And I know you don't have a leg to stand on with the cancer issue and spaying a bitch. I have, as of today, 2 dear friends that have lost 3 bitches this year due to pyometra and mammary cancer. Neither of which fatal issues would have occurred if the dogs were spayed. You and I will obviously disagree on what responsible dog ownership is - though I think we have a lot in common. In this case, with this poster and his dog - who I have been following his posts.... it seems to me that he would be best served to spay the dog.

And you can't say that my first response on everything is to spay and neuter. Yes, I believe in spaying and neutering, but it's not my default answer to every situation. I try to be openminded and look at the facts. Why don't you give that a try instead of snide comments on owning a stuffed animal. I think you've got some good information to share - but it's sure awful hard to look past the mean comments to get to the meat of the matter sometimes.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 pm

I will admit I was a little perturbed by an adult with a dog that simply in heat yelling at all of us for help , he is going crazy. If I thought for a minute he was actually going crazy I would be there to help. But when someone is over reactting to a simple inconvience in his life then I did give a sarcastic answer. That was several days ago but I am still having problems coming up with a better answer. I am not going to even suggest that the dog be spayed at her age so I think the next best thing is to get rid of the dog. I think it is wrong to play with a dogs health just for our convience and it appears that is all it is. I doubt he is going crazy but if he is send me the dog and check yourself in and get well. That way both you and the dog will win.

Sorry if that sounds mean but if someone is going to over-react that much then I just couldn't think of anything else he could do. Sorry if I hurt some feelings.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 am

I find this amusing on all levels. Kind of reminds me of According to JIm. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:12 am

ezzy333 wrote:I will admit I was a little perturbed by an adult with a dog that simply in heat yelling at all of us for help , he is going crazy. If I thought for a minute he was actually going crazy I would be there to help. But when someone is over reactting to a simple inconvience in his life then I did give a sarcastic answer. That was several days ago but I am still having problems coming up with a better answer. I am not going to even suggest that the dog be spayed at her age so I think the next best thing is to get rid of the dog. I think it is wrong to play with a dogs health just for our convience and it appears that is all it is. I doubt he is going crazy but if he is send me the dog and check yourself in and get well. That way both you and the dog will win.

Sorry if that sounds mean but if someone is going to over-react that much then I just couldn't think of anything else he could do. Sorry if I hurt some feelings.

Ezzy
Or you could have not said anything at all...........................................

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:54 am

Once your dog is in heat , to spay her will not stop the bleeding ;it still goes on for another week.

I spayed two dogs in the last two years both were in heat one 6 and one 9 years old ,took both dogs in the day after i saw blood ;both continued the cycle for a week.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am

CHJIII wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I will admit I was a little perturbed by an adult with a dog that simply in heat yelling at all of us for help , he is going crazy. If I thought for a minute he was actually going crazy I would be there to help. But when someone is over reactting to a simple inconvience in his life then I did give a sarcastic answer. That was several days ago but I am still having problems coming up with a better answer. I am not going to even suggest that the dog be spayed at her age so I think the next best thing is to get rid of the dog. I think it is wrong to play with a dogs health just for our convience and it appears that is all it is. I doubt he is going crazy but if he is send me the dog and check yourself in and get well. That way both you and the dog will win.

Ezzy
Or you could have not said anything at all...........................................
So true, but something needed to be said, so I did it even though I knew it wouldn't be well recieved but I hoped it would jolt him into thinking instead of just reacting.

Ezzy

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
CHJIII wrote:

Ezzy
So true, but something needed to be said, so I did it even though I knew it wouldn't be well recieved but I hoped it would jolt him into thinking instead of just reacting.

Ezzy
What may be a simple inconvenience to you may be a big deal to someone else.

I've watched people shrug off trashing $20k engines as "just something that happens, no big deal"
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm

People have beend suspended for less.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:34 pm

CHJIII wrote:People have beend suspended for less.
Fraid you don't know what you are talking about but feel free to do it.

Ezzy

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
CHJIII wrote:People have beend suspended for less.
Fraid you don't know what you are talking about but feel free to do it.

Ezzy
Don't be Fraid....It will be allright