Snake bit

A/C Guy

Snake bit

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:36 pm

About 2 weeks ago, Duke, our male brittany was cornered by diamondback rattler. Cactus on 3 sides and a hissing snake in front blocking his path. Duke tried to jump over the snake, but the snake caught him in the upper foreleg. That happened about 8 am. By noon, it looked like someone had surgically implanted a golf ball under the skin. Other than the swelling, he had no symptoms of distress or pain. The swelling started to decrease the next morning and has been steadily decreasing on a daily basis. Never did it have any effect on his walking, running, playing, or appetite. Today, I was looking at it and other than a little redness and lose of hair (nickel sized bald spot), the bite seems to be almost fully healed. I hope this experience taught him a little more respect for snakes. We had snake trained him, he was looking for an escape path, out of desperation he tried to jump. Hopefully he will plow through the cactus next time.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Snake bit

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Sounds like may have been a dry bite!
Glad it turned out well.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Blessings ... 1, 2, 3, 4 keep counting 'em.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 pm

A/C Guy wrote:About 2 weeks ago, Duke, our male brittany was cornered by diamondback rattler. Cactus on 3 sides and a hissing snake in front blocking his path. Duke tried to jump over the snake, but the snake caught him in the upper foreleg. That happened about 8 am. By noon, it looked like someone had surgically implanted a golf ball under the skin. Other than the swelling, he had no symptoms of distress or pain. The swelling started to decrease the next morning and has been steadily decreasing on a daily basis. Never did it have any effect on his walking, running, playing, or appetite. Today, I was looking at it and other than a little redness and lose of hair (nickel sized bald spot), the bite seems to be almost fully healed. I hope this experience taught him a little more respect for snakes. We had snake trained him, he was looking for an escape path, out of desperation he tried to jump. Hopefully he will plow through the cactus next time.
Well I would say you a very lucky. Thank God!

Do you know Joe Link? He lives there.
Willie Hunter

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Just curious, why no trip to the vet?

AZRio

Post by AZRio » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Good to hear, sounds like maybe a light bite? Curious if you had him vacinated in addition to the snake breaking.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:42 am

This is what my late Champion looked like after he got bit at the Southeastern Championship. By the way, he was laying it down, when he got bit!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 am

dang it, I don't know how to make the picture smaller. Sorry!