Best ATV's

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Best ATV's

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 am

If you had to pick one, regardless of price what would it be? Honda?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Best ATV's

Post by nikegundog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am

Polaris, I've had mine for 17 years and it won't die, I can't wait to upgrade it.
Last edited by nikegundog on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:38 am

Honda for engine, Polaris for ride...all in all done - Honda....

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 am

Would like to give you the name of an American made one....but Honda is what i would pick. I've always had honda's and my family has tried Polaris, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat. In the end Honda has won out for durability and dependability. My dad does have a 2 seat Polaris UTV right now that is very nice and well made.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:28 am

We bought our Polaris used something like 6 years ago. Total maintenance cost has been for a couple quarts of oil now and then. The thing's a tank that is used for all our pasture mowing, barn cleaning, dog roading, etc. We don't baby it, either. I love 'er!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 am

With price as no object, I'd most likely go with Honda. I've ridden a friend's Honda a few times - fast, good handling, lots of power, and comfortable.

I also have to mention Yamaha. I have an 04 Beartracker that has served me extremely well for 7 years despite me beating the tar out of it. Some of their bigger models look just as nice as the Hondas, too.

Honda, Yamaha, Polaris -you're really going to have a hard time going wrong with any of them.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:07 am

Polaris and Kawasaki
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 am

If you had to pick one, regardless of price what would it be? Honda
Yamaha Grizzly, is usually top of the heep in the atv world, I use mine like a tractor :) it plows, tills, mows.....

Honda has a nice tranny in the 500cc rincons but the larger ones are not, polaris is a huge name but the guys have em work on em round here. All the yamaha needs is oil changes and gas its a 97 and still runs strong. Get a 3 part folder ramp aluminum and drive it into the back of the pickup.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

roaner

Post by roaner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:56 am

For a sport quad I would take Honda TRX hands down but for a utility workhorse my choice would be a polaris sporstman

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I have a Polaris and a Honda. Both are good machines with little in maintenance problems. The Polaris is 12 years old and has been used for major farm work as well as getting to th field when hunting while the Honda is newer and is used promarily for snow plowing and exercising the dogs here at home. I asked our dealer which is the best and he hated to say but thought the Honda had less repairs in their opinion. He has both by the way. I like the Polaris better in many ways but both are good.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 pm

I believe the honda is the most reliable of the machines. Others monkey around with some different features that some may find attractive for this purpose or that...but for simplicity in running and getting you from here to there I think year in and year out you will find Honda to be superior. If you cruise around Nevada in the back country and check the machines that the mines and the ranchers use they are almost all Honda.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:23 pm

We have had excellent luck with Yamaha and Suzuki's, those are they only two brands of ATVs we have owned, with a little care and maintenance most will run for a very long time. Our Suzuki is a 1985 Quad sport 185 still runs, the other was a Yamaha Kodiak and a great utility quad.

My 1998 Yamaha Kodiak took everything we threw at it in stride, but it couldn't take a tornado. Think I am going to try a Grizzly this go around.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:32 pm

I don't know guys I have been a Honda fan my whole life from dirtbikes to street to ATV's. I have had Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Atv's and my Can Am Outlander is by far the best of the bunch, suspension, braking, ease of use, etc.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I raced mx for a long time on honda quads from 250Rs up to highly tweaked 400EXs and for play i deffinately bleed red. When it comes to work my dad has always had yamahas around and i used to wail on em and they kept trucking. My personal experiences with polaris has not been very impressive but I do know they make good stuff. you could flip a coin and get a good one either way.

However if money were no object I would by a Can am.......

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 pm

MY FEET!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 pm

have raced atv's, mx, and had street/stunt bikes in my younger and duber days well im not really that old and still pretty dumb just slowed down a bit anyway my breakdown is
streetbike- suzuki hands down
mx or atv- honda beat up a few 450r in the day and they r top notch, now have a rancher 2wd that has been thru it all
never had a can am but have heard wonderful things about em and would love to upgrade to one

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:07 am

We have a whole herd of honda recons at work they run them 24- 7 -365. Nobody ever checks the.oil. or changes it either, they tried kawasakis but they broke quickly. My kids have two of the leftovers that i bought. A 98 and an 02 they still run great even after years of abuse.
We have had a prarie 400 4x4 since it came out in the 90s. Decent bike. We had trail boss 250 it was junk. Blasters, banshees, trxs. The sportbikes come and go.
If i were to go and buy one for me tomorrow i would buy a Grizzly 700 only beacause it has the latest and greatest everything. Honda rincon i know will last past my lifetime but they don't keep up with the frills of the grizzly. The outlander max by can-am i hear is nice but might as well buy a used jeep. My buddy had 12k into his with add ons and ttl. And He still didn't have a/c or heat and shelter.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 am

I am kind of one of those, Knuckle head, :mrgreen: Brand Loyalists. Polaris for me. Have had Polaris snowmobiles since 70 (my dad purchased) I have had my 05 Sportsman, well, since 05. I do not take care of it, it is outside all the time. Has a great ride, great power, (Hauled an 800 pound Moose out of a Wet cutting with it.) I use it for hauling wood from down back, roading dogs when I can and bring upta camp.

I see alot of the Bombardier ATV's up at camp, (all Canadian French folks in that area, they are country loyalists :wink:) Those folks put on a lot of miles.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:31 pm

We have 2 Hondas and love them!
brenda

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:I am kind of one of those, Knuckle head, :mrgreen: Brand Loyalists. Polaris for me. Have had Polaris snowmobiles since 70 (my dad purchased) I have had my 05 Sportsman, well, since 05. I do not take care of it, it is outside all the time. Has a great ride, great power, (Hauled an 800 pound Moose out of a Wet cutting with it.) I use it for hauling wood from down back, roading dogs when I can and bring upta camp.
We have a Polaris 700 that we bought used, around 6 years ago. We've used it for dragging logs out of the timber, hunting activity like hauling around tree stands and deer, pulling out buried fencelines, hauling feed, trailering a ton of lime back from the neighboring quarry, running dogs, snowplowing our drive, etc. I hope to get a pull behind mower for it next season. It's also fun to hit the ATV trails and jump snow drifts in the winter. :wink: The only thing we've fixed in the last 6 years, was a starter bendix. Oops, when I say we--I meant he. Husband says he likes Polaris for the driveline and true 4WD. I just know it's a workhorse, and while I gave him grief for buying it, I can't imagine not having an ATV now.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm

you looking for small , mid size or a big boy as far as the big boys go Yamaha and Polasis are at the top just remember hard users will have to replace belts with Polaris's especially when in water alot like swamps and heavy pulling.. small or mid size Honda's cant be beat.. I've had them all. i currently have a 660 grizz who i've beat the #^!! out of in the easternshore swamps for 10plus yrs hunting and 2 newer hondas 250 and a 90. good luck

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:11 pm

It's really a Chevy, Ford or Dodge question. I have a 12 year old Yamaha Big Bear, and a 6 year old Suzuki King Quad, and I have buddies that have quads from the spectrum of manufacturers, including Kawi, Honda, Polaris, Bombardier, Can Am etc. All with 5000+km (3000+miles) on them. Most manufacturers are making decent products, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:12 pm

mcbosco wrote:If you had to pick one, regardless of price what would it be? Honda?
Suzuki or Yamaha would be my choices.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 am

Loved my Raptor 660, but obviously not a 4by.

Just the kinda chick that will always drive a manual whether it's a quad or a car. LOL
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:57 pm

I have four. Have a 99 Yamaha Bear Tracker 250. Bulletproof. No odometer or hour meter. It was mine but now belongs to the kids. Motor has never been opened, burns no oil. My guess, 8000 miles easy. I have a 2004 Yamaha Big Bear 400. 6500 miles, Bulletproof as well. No issues. I have a 2008 Grizzly 450 with only 1800 on the clock. The little boys have a 2001 Yamaha Breeze that has been solid as well. I change all fluids at least yearly and these bikes aren't babied at all. Needless to say I have become pretty proficient at doing atv brake jobs! Now with all that said.....I really want a 2012 Kawasaki Brute Force 750! LOL

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm

For an ATV, it would have to be a Honda or Yamaha. For a UTV, a Polaris or Yamaha.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 pm

I have a 91 Honda put a few battery's in it here and there and the regular maintenance and it still fires up every time.