Ideas for hauling water

GWPtyler

Ideas for hauling water

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:24 am

I'll be the first to admit that I probably didn't carry nearly enough water when I had my GWP out hunting last fall as a pup. He's my first dog, and having little to no experience raising them, I'm just glad he didn't wind up dehydrated on several occasions.

Fast forward to now, and I have a much better idea of things. Everything was put into particularly sharp focus after our NA test in June. It was a surprisingly hot day with barely a breeze. Remy doesn't seem to have an off button, and after his third or fourth point, a judge finally had me corral him and get him to lie down. We proceeded to dump nearly an entire 20 oz. bottle of water down his throat and another over his head, ears and body. I think by the time we were done with the whole ordeal, we'd gone through five or six bottles of water.

And that was only for a 20 minute hunt! What the heck am I supposed to do this fall when we're out for hours on end?!

So I have a bit of a better perspective on what I may need to bring on hunts this go-round (granted I'm going to try not hunting him on super hot days, but he's going to get warm and thirsty at some point, regardless).

My dream would be to buy a WingWorks vest with the bottle holders and a couple of the extra 54 ounce bottles. If I had two of those and a couple of the 32 ouners, that'd be a heckuva lot of H2O to tie over the pooch (and maybe me, too).

But since I don't have $170 on me at the moment, I'm looking for Plan B: retrofitting a run-of-the-mill game vest to it's greatest water-holding potential. Anyone done this? I'm not simply talking about loading down your pockets with bottles and bottles of water, because I've done that...and it sucks. Talk about shoulder strain. But is there a way to somehow sew a belt on the inside of a vest (kinda like the wingworks to take the strain off your shoulders) and then maybe attach some loops or straps to the vest as water bottle holders?

I've been pondering this for some time, but can't seem to come up with a solution.
Apart from buying a new vest (that I probably could afford if I had to, but then I'd have to stay at home since I couldn't buy gas) what are some other people's ideas? Anyone have a good trick/technique/rig to carry lots of water into the field without breaking your back in the process?

Dashin Gun Dogs

Re: Ideas for hauling water

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am

I used a camel back. It works good for me and the dog learns to let u squirt it in their mouth. The best thing is to have them really conditioned and to hydrate the night before and that morning. I usually poor water in their dog food the night before.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:02 am

Always carry a bowl with you during a test or trial... same thing when out training. The dog will drink when thirsty and you should.t have to dump water down its throat.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 am

check out:

http://www.initial-attack.com/Other%20P ... sb420.html

100 oz camelbak and slots for 2 1 liter bottles.

brandon

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 pm

ultracarry wrote:Always carry a bowl with you during a test or trial... same thing when out training. The dog will drink when thirsty and you should.t have to dump water down its throat.
Why would you carry a bowl when the dogs are happy drinking from a squirt bottle?

I sure wouldn't think extreme heat would be much of a problem in ND. I know there could bve a day or two but we seldom have any problem at all hear in IL and ND is well north of here.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:39 pm

ultracarry wrote:Always carry a bowl with you during a test or trial... same thing when out training. The dog will drink when thirsty and you should.t have to dump water down its throat.
He drinks out of the bottle. I guess maybe my verbage made it seem otherwise.
ezzy333 wrote:I sure wouldn't think extreme heat would be much of a problem in ND. I know there could bve a day or two but we seldom have any problem at all hear in IL and ND is well north of here.

Ezzy
Believe it or not, it still gets hot in North Dakota. Test day was in the mid-80s. Last year on pheasant opener it was in the high 70s-low 80s. Now maybe that's not "extreme," but it's still darn warm, especially during hunting season.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 pm

bwjohn wrote:check out:

http://www.initial-attack.com/Other%20P ... sb420.html

100 oz camelbak and slots for 2 1 liter bottles.

brandon
if he doesnt want to spend $170, why would he spend $150?

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:25 pm

One reason you might consider having a collapsable bowl is that you are trying to make your water go as far as you can. My dogs will drink from a squirt bottle too but we sure go through a lot more water than when he drinks out of a bowl.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:41 pm

It was the verbage....

Ezzy,

Since I run my dog in the heat and in California it gets pretty warm you learn things.. use a bowl. Let the dog drink if they want to drink. They get less air when they drink on their own and don't cough as much when they drink. Would you like to have a bottle shoved in your mouth and water squirted in you mouth because someone though you needed a drink? Let the dog figure it out on its own. If the dog is too stupid to drink when its thirsty maybe it deserves to die... and won't be bred...

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:49 pm

ultracarry wrote:If the dog is too stupid to drink when its thirsty maybe it deserves to die... and won't be bred...
Really hope you're joking here... :!: :roll:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Not joking, why should you have to force any animal to drink. If it is seriously ill take the dog to a vet. Stupid animals should not be bred.

You should not force a dog to drink if you suspect heat exhaustion or stroke. Make water available but do not force to drink. Research......

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 pm

I didn't hear Ezzy say anything about Squirting water down the dogs throat. When I use a squirt bottle with my dog, all I have to do is start squirting water toward the dogs mouth. If he's thirsty he will start lapping it up imediatly. I think this is what Ezzy was getting at. The problem with this is you waste a lot of water. So if the ability to carry enough water is a problem then you might consider a bowl of some sort. I think most people on this forum know their dogs well enough to know when they are thirsty. I know I Haven't been wrong yet when I suspected my dog needs a drink.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:59 pm

I carry a frisbee in my hunting vest. It doesn't take up a lot of room and it works well for a drinking bowl for the dogs. Plus mine is uber cool b/c it's a Quail Forever frisbee.

roaner

Post by roaner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:36 pm

I have a 4 month old pup and when he sees the water bottle he goes in for a drink when he's thirsty and when he's not, he doesn't. I never have to force him. When it gets as hot as it does in AZ you learn things too. Like a dog will dig in his bowl instead of drink from it. If I have to carry more water in the form of squirt bottles, so be it because he's staying hydrated.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:37 pm

ultracarry wrote:Not joking, why should you have to force any animal to drink. If it is seriously ill take the dog to a vet. Stupid animals should not be bred.

You should not force a dog to drink if you suspect heat exhaustion or stroke. Make water available but do not force to drink. Research......
I am surprised some one as experienced as you have no understanding of drinking from a bottle or a hose for that matter. You aren't forcing a dog to drink by letting them enjoy a fresh stream of water and getting their head wet too if they want. If my dogs have a choice they will drink from the bottle first when they are hot. Come to IL and we can show you how it is done.

By the way, as far as drinking I don't want the dog to drink much if it is hot but just get enough to keep the mouth and throat damp which helps the scenting ability and doesn't impede the dogs activities like drinking will.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Every season, I buy a new water bottle at the local convenience store (those of you in NJ/PA know what a WaWa is...) - the big bottle is probably 1.5 liters. If it does not come with a re-closable "sport" top (like a dish soap bottle) I buy a smaller bottle of the same brand that does and swap tops - the threads are always the same size. I carry the big bottle in my vest when training and running dogs. It costs next to nothing and comes already filled. If it's especially hot, It's enough water on hand that I can hose off the dog a little to cool it down.

I keep at least 3 gallons of fresh water in my truck at all times - I use Arizona Ice tea gallon bottles. When they start to get a little scuzzy I go buy more ice tea and recycle the bottles.

You can buy a few gallons of ice tea and some water bottles for under 15 bucks and they will last you all year.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 pm

GWPtyler wrote:
He drinks out of the bottle. I guess maybe my verbage made it seem otherwise.
ezzy333 wrote:I sure wouldn't think extreme heat would be much of a problem in ND. I know there could bve a day or two but we seldom have any problem at all hear in IL and ND is well north of here.

Ezzy
Believe it or not, it still gets hot in North Dakota. Test day was in the mid-80s. Last year on pheasant opener it was in the high 70s-low 80s. Now maybe that's not "extreme," but it's still darn warm, especially during hunting season.
Low 80s is cool!

I'm another believer in the squirt bottles, and not forcing a dog to drink.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Ezzy I'm sorry. You are right. I would have to say the best way to control how much a dog drinks is through a stream of water from a water bottle. BTW on a daily basis your dog drinks from a water bottle so they don't get a lot of air at the same time right.

BTW I wasn't giving you advice because I know you have been there and done that. Figure out what way you can measure how much a dog drinks. I know for some people it is hard to bend down and set the bowl on the ground. I did not say you can't do something but its not the best situation. But do as you do, never asked you to change.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:53 pm

ultracarry wrote:Ezzy I'm sorry. You are right. I would have to say the best way to control how much a dog drinks is through a stream of water from a water bottle. BTW on a daily basis your dog drinks from a water bottle so they don't get a lot of air at the same time right.

BTW I wasn't giving you advice because I know you have been there and done that. Figure out what way you can measure how much a dog drinks. I know for some people it is hard to bend down and set the bowl on the ground. I did not say you can't do something but its not the best situation. But do as you do, never asked you to change.
I have never tried to measure how much a dog drinks. Guess I must have misread what you posted. But all I asked is why would I carry a bowl to drink out of in the field, and I still don't know but it is ok if you want to do that.

Ezzy

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Less air when the dog drinks, does not caught or hack, also what do they drink out of then they are in the kennel. It's about making everyonehing the same. Dog doesn't think they have to hurry and start choking etc. The plus is you can know how much the dog drinks. The rest you dump on their back.

If you road your dog you might have this in the routine so there would be no change when hunting. They get the water in front for one to two min then dumped on the back and go again.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 am

displaced_texan wrote:Low 80s is cool!
I knew someone was going to call me out about that...

Maybe 80s is cool to you, but where I'm from 80 degrees is hot, 70 warm, and 60 comfortable.

Around 40 is when we start breaking out the hoodies... and winter isn't officially here until it hits -20 or -30. No THOSE are good days to hunt! :mrgreen:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 am

I'm low tech. I re-use Hershey's syrup bottles. They're tough and they're flat. They carry well.

You don't squirt it down the dog's throat. If they're all focused on birds, and it's time for water, you just lift a lip and squirt there. If the dog gets the picture and wants some, OK. If not, well, you tried. I wet their ears and belly down.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:50 am

Greg Jennings wrote:I'm low tech. I re-use Hershey's syrup bottles. They're tough and they're flat. They carry well.

You don't squirt it down the dog's throat. If they're all focused on birds, and it's time for water, you just lift a lip and squirt there. If the dog gets the picture and wants some, OK. If not, well, you tried. I wet their ears and belly down.
That's the most ingenious thing I've ever heard...Hershey Syrup bottles! I better start eating more ice cream so I can use mine up!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 am

I worked on a deal a few years ago for a company that sold a product where you can pee in a bag and then drink the water. It is used by the Airforce and you can buy them online.

http://www.htiwater.com/divisions/perso ... index.html

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Usually my dogs just get a drink when we get back to the truck. I might take 1 20 oz bottle with me for two dogs, but usually don't use it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:46 pm

oakcreek wrote:Usually my dogs just get a drink when we get back to the truck. I might take 1 20 oz bottle with me for two dogs, but usually don't use it.
That's normally my procedure too unless it is real hot. I just don't gp very often if it is that hot. Not good for the dogs or the birds you kill and I don't enjoy it either. As far as McBosco's procedure I don't drink when in the field so I don't have to pee either.

Ezzy

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:01 pm

GWPtyler wrote:

Maybe 80s is cool to you, but where I'm from 80 degrees is hot, 70 warm, and 60 comfortable.

Around 40 is when we start breaking out the hoodies... and winter isn't officially here until it hits -20 or -30. No THOSE are good days to hunt! :mrgreen:
I tried to let it go, but I couldn't :mrgreen: We were having lows in the 80s...

As to Bosco's solution, I just assumed he'd had that for a while and needed an excuse to post the link. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:10 pm

mcbosco wrote:I worked on a deal a few years ago for a company that sold a product where you can pee in a bag and then drink the water. It is used by the Airforce and you can buy them online.

Thank you but I'll pass on that . :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:45 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
GWPtyler wrote:

I tried to let it go, but I couldn't :mrgreen: We were having lows in the 80s...

As to Bosco's solution, I just assumed he'd had that for a while and needed an excuse to post the link. :lol:
I totally forgot about it. The company was called Hydration Technologies. Right after a capital raise the factory burned down, luckily the insurance paid but the company was sold later on. Dealing with the government is an invitation to Ch 11.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:36 pm

I put water out before I let my dogs out of the truck to hunt. It's there if they want it when they unload and it's there when they get back and don't have to wait for me to straggle back to fill it.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:54 pm

mcbosco wrote:I worked on a deal a few years ago for a company that sold a product where you can pee in a bag and then drink the water. It is used by the Airforce and you can buy them online.

I totally forgot about it. The company was called Hydration Technologies. Right after a capital raise the factory burned down, luckily the insurance paid but the company was sold later on. Dealing with the government is an invitation to Ch 11.
Doesn't sound like the problem was with the government, I would say the problem is probably with a product that enables you to drink your own pee. That sounds like a tough sell, you can count me out. :?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 pm

It's a big deal for USAF pilots Escape and Evasion. You can't carry much water on a plane. Every ounce you carry is an ounce of fuel or ordinance that you can't. When downed, you want to HIDE, not be scrambling around looking for water, even if you're uninjured and able to.

OK, it's gross, but you do what you have to do when your life, and potentially the lives of those coming to pull you out, are on the line.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:43 am

Greg Jennings wrote:It's a big deal for USAF pilots Escape and Evasion. You can't carry much water on a plane. Every ounce you carry is an ounce of fuel or ordinance that you can't. When downed, you want to HIDE, not be scrambling around looking for water, even if you're uninjured and able to.

OK, it's gross, but you do what you have to do when your life, and potentially the lives of those coming to pull you out, are on the line.
I thought the same thing. Lesser of two evils...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:56 am

nikegundog wrote:

Doesn't sound like the problem was with the government, I would say the problem is probably with a product that enables you to drink your own pee. That sounds like a tough sell, you can count me out. :?
It was it took foreever to get approvals and then finally get paid.

drumbo2

Post by drumbo2 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

The guy I learned from on training dogs used a dishwashing soap bottle. The larger ones hold about 20 oz. and the cap seals the water well. Over several dogs, all have quicky learned to drink from the squeezed stream withouit a problem. On warmer days, I simply provide a second bottle to my hunting companions to carry to ensure a good supply - a small price for them to pay for the services of a hard working dog.

BTW, its smart to bring along a gallon or two of water from home - sometimes a change in water supply dooes not sit well with the digestive system of your dog.l

reba

Post by reba » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I use a collapsable bowl to water my dogs during a hunt because for me a squirt bottle waste way to much water. What is left in the collapsable bowl is poured back into the bottle. I am running two dogs and start out with 3 each 48 oz bottles, plus my needs. We are hunting chukar in 35 - 60 degree weather. If you hunt with me and have no dog you will help carry water. In the first 30 minutes two dogs may go through 48 oz of water. I have never found a way to make them take a very big drink (at the truck) before they need it.

I also always place a water bowel down at the truck and make sure it is full before we start hunting. Seems all the dogs remember where that water bowel is:-)=

I do use a Wing Works vest. THE BEST!!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:02 pm

BTW, its smart to bring along a gallon or two of water from home - sometimes a change in water supply dooes not sit well with the digestive system of your dog.l
I have never had a dog have problems from drinking water anywhere. They drink from creeks, ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. Their water supply changes all the time.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 am

reba wrote:I use a collapsable bowl to water my dogs during a hunt because for me a squirt bottle waste way to much water. What is left in the collapsable bowl is poured back into the bottle. I am running two dogs and start out with 3 each 48 oz bottles, plus my needs. We are hunting chukar in 35 - 60 degree weather. If you hunt with me and have no dog you will help carry water. In the first 30 minutes two dogs may go through 48 oz of water. I have never found a way to make them take a very big drink (at the truck) before they need it.

I also always place a water bowel down at the truck and make sure it is full before we start hunting. Seems all the dogs remember where that water bowel is:-)=

I do use a Wing Works vest. THE BEST!!
I have always been taught that you don't drink o let your dog or horse drink much when thy are hot. You need just enough to krrp your mouth damp, but you wait to drink till you have cooled down. I don't want the dogs drinking much while still running, a swallow or two at the most.

Ezzy

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 am

First of all, I agree with Charlie. That being said, let me explore the problem from a diferent angle. You said your dog was a "pup"..How old is he? You mentioned you plan to hunt him for hours on end. How many hours a day do you plan to hunt a young dog? "NA test in June...It was suprisingly hot...." Mid 80's no breeze. In all due respect, I think you need to re-evaluate your judgement. I think your asking for trouble running a dog,paticularly a young dog in the mid 80's for any serious length of time to begin with. I also think if you plan to hunt a"young" dog or several hours a day, your also asking for trouble. It's like Delmar Smith said..It's like candy...you have to give it to them slowly and let them build up to it. What type of pre season conditioning are you doing? Both Mud River and L.L. Bean sell collapsible bowls for 12-15 bucks. You can find much less expensive vests with water bottle holders than Wing Works (although I agree, they are the best). Between the natural water that shoud be availabe, 2-3 bottles in your vest, the collapsible bowl and reasonalble expectations on how long you should have him on the ground, he should be fine. Just make sure he's in condition and don't push him too hard.. If it's in the mid 80's in Texas, my dog's and I are inside watching college football, hoping anyone playing the University of Texas wins :) It's too hot for me,the dog's but just right for the snakes. jmo!

gdog

Post by gdog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:28 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have always been taught that you don't drink o let your dog or horse drink much when thy are hot. You need just enough to krrp your mouth damp, but you wait to drink till you have cooled down. I don't want the dogs drinking much while still running, a swallow or two at the most.

Ezzy
Izzy...why is that? Where we chukar and ptarmigan hunt, there are many places that do not have water on the ground for the dog to utilize. We may not be back to the truck for 6hrs or more. Its extremely dry....and the dogs can get pretty heated up (especially chukar hunting). Water in the dog and on the dog to cool them down. Really don't limit them too much on how much water they drink within reason.....and its definitely more then just wetting their mouth. Always use a bowl as not to waste too much squirting from a bottle.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:07 pm

You have to remember a dog does not sweat. The water it loses is primarily from breathing and drooling. The water we carry for the dogs is used primarily for wetting the nasal and mouth and for the cooling effect that is more external than internal in the short run. Unless you are hunting in an extremely dry area and hot then the dog will normally find a crrek or some type of a resivor that will suffice for its needs. But I do carry a small bottle or two just in case we need it. And I do carry a jug and a dish that is left in the truck. But I do limit their water if they are really hot and also till they have time to calm down and are crated for a while.

Ezzy

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 am

FWIW -

An old frizbee makes a pretty decent water dish and it carries pretty well in a game pouch. I used one for a while with a dog thqt refused to take water from a squirt bottle.

BTW, I STRONGLY discourage my dogs from drinking anywhere they choose when in the field. Too many nasty bugs or worse stuff they can pick up. You never know what a puddle is contaminated with. A very little bit of antifreeze or transmission fluid is pretty much a death sentence. Even a nice looking pond can be loaded with Ehrlichia or Giardia or worse.

Besides, I want them out there hunting for birds...not water.

RayG

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

I carry enough water from my home so the dog is drinking water that he is acclimated to. Even a difference in city water can cause diarrhea in dogs. Bicycle water bottles are fairly cheap and easy to carry in your vest the better ones lock closed on top and will not leak as much as cheaper ones do.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 pm

It would be impossible for me to keep my dogs from drinking water while in the field. It is possible for them to get something bad I guess, but in 50 plus years, I have never once had a problem caused by drinking water wherever they found it or any water that they were not acclimated to. If I had to worry about everything a dog gets into, I would stay home and not have dogs and would have certainly had a lot of sick and/or dead dogs over the years. Anything is possible but these are animals that will eat and drink in the wild.....They are NOT people.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Ray, In all due respect, if you have a dog running 200-300 yards away (or further), or the dog gets out of sight for a few minutes (or longer if trialing), how do you keep them out of water? When I trialed "All Age" dogs many (many) years ago, I just wanted to see them enough to keep them in contention, and then, hopefully on the horizon or find them standing on birds. Too a lesser extent, the same is true when I hunt, I just want to have to have more contact with them. Hope some of that makes sense and always,jmo

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Water acclimation for dogs...holy crap :o . I have known of a few dogs that eat poop(but never their own).....so what's next, poop acclimation. I still have so much to learn.
birddogger wrote:It would be impossible for me to keep my dogs from drinking water while in the field.
Nothing's impossible Charlie, we can do it.

I have never carried water into the field (for me or the dogs) but I do have 5 gallons of fresh semi-cold water with bowls back at the truck for them. When I run them in the heat I am very aware of my enviorment ie. lakes, streams, and ponds.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:03 pm

What stands out the most in this discussion is who does not hunt chukar.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:27 pm

We always have some water with us out here in AZ. Just pinch the end of camelback tube and dogs get plenty.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

bossman wrote:Ray, In all due respect, if you have a dog running 200-300 yards away (or further), or the dog gets out of sight for a few minutes (or longer if trialing), how do you keep them out of water? When I trialed "All Age" dogs many (many) years ago, I just wanted to see them enough to keep them in contention, and then, hopefully on the horizon or find them standing on birds. Too a lesser extent, the same is true when I hunt, I just want to have to have more contact with them. Hope some of that makes sense and always,jmo
I said I strongly discourage it. I did not say they always listened. :lol: :lol: I discourage it from the time they are quite young and instead, I encourage them to come to me when I call them in for water. One of the ways I do this is by running them in an area that is devoid of water when it is hot. I call the dog in after about five minutes, give them a squirt or two and send them on. I go another few minutes and call the dog in zagain and another squirt or two. the dog learns two things...to come when called or it goes thirsty AND I am the one with the water.

I discourage it when running them on a checkcord. I encourage them to get on. I discourage it when I am roading them. I encourage them to get on. I discourage it when I am running them off horseback because i try to keep up with them and keep them in sight when training. I ESPECIALLY discourage it when I see the dog heading toward where both they and I know there is water, but I am headed in the other direction.

I discourage my dogs from doing a lot of things i don't want them to do and and encourage them to do the things want them to do.

For example, I discourage male dogs from peeing on every bush when they should be hunting. I discourage a dog from eating grass when it should be hunting. I discourage a dog from sniffing another dog's butt or rolling in something smelly and dead when it should be hunting.

They don't always do what I ask of them in the field but that doesn't keep me from working toward the goal I have in mind.

RayG