A very amazing sight

markj
GDF Junkie

A very amazing sight

Post by markj » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

was seen last nite as we set down to eat dinner. Lightning hit a tree right close to the house, took out a buildings fuses, burned the wire plug in to the electric fencer I use and blew that off the wall and into little pieces.

PetSafe is sending me a new unit for 30.00 so no big deal.

Taught the boy to touch the metal with a crowbar, set one end on the ground let other end fall to the metal on the trailor, trucks and boat trailors. Old school yes but I havent ever been electricuted that way.

Poor tree has his bark blown off, I will probably have to cut it down now.

Had boomers go off all around the place, since Barry cut down his tree line, mine is tallest :( the boy was kinda scared over the noise. The flash was huge, lit up everything, saw electricity run down the tree limb, lite on the horse trailor, then to the ground and up to the fence transmitter. Kaboom it went :)

Hope everyone elses nite was better than mine. Got major hail damage on the house, siding, windows, roof, my metal barn has holes in the skylite piece runs down the length, truck I just bought for the wife has a windshield out and hail damage all over it.

Geting tired of Ol Ma Natures upheavals.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: A very amazing sight

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 am

GEEZE, hope tonight is a better night for ya mark :D at least family is safe....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:00 am

that is who we lost a judge another was sent to the hospital with burns both those horses and another horse was killed at a Brittany trial about 10 years ago up in the white mountains Lightning struck a tree went through the ground and up the horses. Glad I wasn't at that trial

But do know what it is like to have lightning striking all to close Brighter then bright and louder then loud all at once much less the feeling in the air when it happens
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 am

markj wrote:was seen last nite as we set down to eat dinner. Lightning hit a tree right close to the house, took out a buildings fuses, burned the wire plug in to the electric fencer I use and blew that off the wall and into little pieces.

PetSafe is sending me a new unit for 30.00 so no big deal.

Taught the boy to touch the metal with a crowbar, set one end on the ground let other end fall to the metal on the trailor, trucks and boat trailors. Old school yes but I havent ever been electricuted that way.

Poor tree has his bark blown off, I will probably have to cut it down now.

Had boomers go off all around the place, since Barry cut down his tree line, mine is tallest :( the boy was kinda scared over the noise. The flash was huge, lit up everything, saw electricity run down the tree limb, lite on the horse trailor, then to the ground and up to the fence transmitter. Kaboom it went :)

Hope everyone elses nite was better than mine. Got major hail damage on the house, siding, windows, roof, my metal barn has holes in the skylite piece runs down the length, truck I just bought for the wife has a windshield out and hail damage all over it.

Geting tired of Ol Ma Natures upheavals.
That storm was coming right at us and went south. We got busted Thursday afternoon. My wife's car will most likely be totaled. My truck was just under a big tree and got a little but not like her's . The horses went nuts, but found cover from the timber to the north. I've been in the White Mountains when we got stuck on course. Bad place to be.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 pm

So sorry to hear about the bad luck, Mark.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Man that sounds like some storm! Glad everyone is alright...

We need rain but not hail!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Many years ago my Dad made the mistake of attaching the clothesline to a tall tree. Yes it was hit. The electricity went through the wires and blew out all the wall plugs etc. , blew out the furnace motor too. Thanks God none of 7 kids were hurt.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Nothing big was lost so that is a blessing. My pup is acting wierd tho, this mornig she jumped clear over the couch when I asked her if she wanted to go out. She sits at teh door and watches the storms, the loud stuff dont bother her at all. Cows were in the shelter dogs in the barn. Insurance will take care of the damage. That was one bright lite and a louder boom than I have heard before.

Years ago I was fishing on a beach, lightning hit the water and we felt it go thru us. We left :) right quick.

Now my son knows to ground the metal vehicles after a storm :) some good come out of it, a lesson to teach the boy. One he will not forget I imagine.

My dog spots seems to know when the fencer is down, he disappears quick but comes fast when I call him in.

Whats next? Sept blizzards? slap my mouth I jinxed us all lol
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry that happened! It's so dry here in Texas i'll take your storms. Send'em my way please!!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Sorry that happened! It's so dry here in Texas i'll take your storms. Send'em my way please!!!
OK but for the rain dance I will need a dozen naked gals, a tamborine, and several gallons of baby oil....
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:58 pm

If they are Texas gals you'll have to pay extra... if they are Iowa gals... you'll have to pay us!!! :lol: