AKC vs UKC

bkidd79

AKC vs UKC

Post by bkidd79 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:10 pm

I have some questions, not sure if it matters but I would like to get your thoughts on AKC vs UKC registration. I have heard that UKC is for working dogs where AKC while not solely for but is best suited for show dogs. Can you register in both and what is your recommendation if my new pup is UKC registered. Thanks in advance all.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Re: AKC vs UKC

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Giving a generic view of the registration organizations is kind of hard. UKC and AKC both have shows and working events. If you are speaking of a lab (like in ur pic), I purchase labs that are AKC & UKC registered. I would probably only compete in the UKC (HRC) events, but it is better to have them registered in both if you never know what you are going to do with the dog.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I register my dogs in both and compete in both. There are many things I like about UKC better than AKC. If I have an issue I can call and get a hold of the guy in charge of the hunting programs, and he frequently comes to our National event. A big plus for me is UKC recognizes Epagneul Breton's as a distinct breed and don't lump them together with American Brittanys.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:58 am

We have all our dogs duel registered with both AKC and UKC. We show in both venues as well. Work in performance events in both venues too. If the pup you are buying is ONLY registered with UKC it can not then be registered later with AKC. But if your pup is AKC registered it can be later registered with UKC even if the litter wasn't registered with them. Clear as mud? :D

Each venue has it's pros and cons. So you really have to feel things out for where you fit and what your goals are with your dog.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP