Pointing dog challenge

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Pointing dog challenge

Post by nikegundog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:29 pm

jimbo&rooster

Re: Pointing dog challenge

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Well now I guess we know what the best bird dogs are :roll:. This ought to change the look at ames......

Thata actually really cool, that someone put this together.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Wish I could have made it! I planned on going but got called in late to work. Us michiganders are crazy you know. Congrats to the pointing labs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:51 pm

What can I say? :|
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:02 pm

That's it. I'm selling my GSP and getting a pointing lab. I always knew labs were better at pointing, this just confirmed it. Anyone want a year old GSP with points toward her FC/AFC? I'll let her go for $2. :lol: :lol:

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 am

Even the Detroit Lyons won a game last year, right? :lol:

Actually, Scott Townsend and I are the ones who put this on, it all started from two dudes arguing on the net about if labs point or not. Scott offered up his place and to plant the birds. The lab guys brought the best of the best. We had some top notch NSTRA dogs entered, but 8 of them pulled out. We filled the spots with some amatuer dogs and preserve dogs at the last minute. Well, conditions were ruff, and those labs put their noses to work and ended up 6-7 birds on top. What can I say!

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:03 am

There are plenty of pointing labs that can straight get after it. Believe it or not there are some great pointing labs out there that will give pointing breeds a run for their money, and just outright disgrace some. They did do well, and hopefully it helps some people see the ability of the dogs. I think the big deal was that we want to be able to run in things like NSTRA or pointing dog hunt tests as well. There are DD and puddle pointers running in the AKC retriever side, we should have every right to run on the pointing dog side if we choose.

I do run pointing labs, and a bigger going pointer. It's a great pairing between breeds. I breed for a pointing lab that has to be reeled in, I believe any good pointing dog needs to ride that line between totally out of range and working for me and the gun. I have some that will hunt a big quartering pattern at 40 yds, and some that will run lines and objectives at 150yds. A good dog is a good dog, regardless of breed and/or color.

It's funny how quick excuses start, those dogs you ran against are weekend hunting dogs, not NSTRA field trial dogs (I would say the competition was fairly equal in experience and ability) . Those guys running PL's were just happy that you gave them a shot. They really appreciated the hospitality, and the great place to run. Hopefully the future will have similar opportunities.

Thank you for putting on the event

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:18 am

oakcreek wrote:It's funny how quick excuses start, those dogs you ran against are weekend hunting dogs, not NSTRA field trial dogs (I would say the competition was fairly equal in experience and ability) . Those guys running PL's were just happy that you gave them a shot. They really appreciated the hospitality, and the great place to run. Hopefully the future will have similar opportunities.

Thank you for putting on the event
Not making excuses, most of the labs are champions, retriever, or pointing titled dogs.

I thought at the end of the day they were up 14 or 15 points, which we gave 2 points, 1 for a find and 1 for a retrieve. Maybe I am wrong, I will go look and see if I can find the final score tally.

It was a great time and Townsend already said he would be willing to host it again next year. I know quite a few of the pointing lab guys, and they do have some top notch dogs. It would be nice to make it a 2 day event, to see wif we can bring in even more dogs.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:28 am

Well done the labs ! :D I have owned trained and trialed labs, G.S.P.'s and Brittanies but none of my labs would point. If they had I might not have bothered training the HPR .'s.

I would imagine the type of ground the dogs hunted over had a fair bit to do with this win ? Did the ground better suit the labs due to it not suiting wider running dogs too well ? Maybe I'm wrong here but what sort of distances were the dogs ranging out to ?
.............. :?: Or was this event won or lost due to the standards of retrieving ? I'm not trying to "knock" anyone or any breed, I'm just curious.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:36 am

I am all for "run what ya brung" and i don't agree with certain breed or certian registry rules. As already stated may the best dog win.
That being said the pointers and setters will always win when it comes down to endurance and covering large areas. I know labs are very effective at quail on coveys already Broken up and located. This being from personal experience. I won't get rid of any of my labs or Pointers . I enjoy great working dogs regardless of breed.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:11 pm

just bumping this to the top now that the disscussions going on about pointing labs

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 pm

I am not going to draw any conclusions from this one event, I know what a well bred , well built young Lab that points can do....I also know what some pointing dogs can do.

There is one fact (least in my experience) that labs have Super Choke Bore Noses....they can flat out find birds whether they point or not.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 am

I like to think I am open minded but I would never draw a conclusion from one event.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Not to mention, I don't really train my dog to hunt in small areas. My dog would be through the course in a minute.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:27 pm

They did say they were Nstra pointing dogs, my dog i run in nstra will run much bigger on big ground, in a nstra trial she knows what the objective is, just like my male dog knows the difference between the prairie and the preserve i work on.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Kwazilla

Post by Kwazilla » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 am

Not to mention, I don't really train my dog to hunt in small areas. My dog would be through the course in a minute.

What's that sup post to mean elkhunter? I take it that your dog would run buy all the birds never finding one. Or maybe your dog would find all 8 birds in one min?

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

I just watched this video and did they decide not to do this anymore or did it get cancelled or what?? because it seems like an awesome event!

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

I will be glad to put it on again if there are enough folks interested in running.

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm a senior in high school and my pointing lab is only 9.5 mo but TONS of skill and is looking really promising. Let me know if you are planning another.

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 pm

We had a run and gun trial for a fundraiser and out of 30 braces we had 1 pointing lab. Everyone was laughing at the lab until the brace started, he ended being one of the nicest if not the nicest dog there.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 pm

birddog1968 wrote:just like my male dog knows the difference between the prairie and the preserve i work on.
Agree. I hunt some small plots(20-40acres), preserve, and some big places they can air it out. When they figure all that out you've got it made!

I've seen some nice pointing Labs work and they can definitely get the job done. One of my friends has a Lab we use as a flush dog. The pointers can be on point 40' from a bird and she will line up and beeline straight to the bird every time. Wonderful noses on the Labs.