Alumunium Dog Box?

displaced_texan

Alumunium Dog Box?

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm wanting a new one, and am probably going to get one when I get a new truck in the next month of so... (For the new season)

As it sits, I'm VERY heavily leaning towards the Diamond Deluxe TD style- http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/td_style_dog_box.html

I'm probably going to have them powder coat it black, and put some holes for lights. I'm thinking about having them put a fan, but was wondering how much difference they actually make? I'm assuming not enough for summer use?

Any other features you guys have that you really like that I should think about adding?
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Alumunium Dog Box?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Black is going to heat up. Just a thought. Most everyone I know has Premier if they have a high end box.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am

I thought about the heating up, but realistically I doubt I should be worried about heat (or fans) because generally unless we are hunting (cold enough for boxes usually) they ride up front with me.

Also, I've thought about spray on bedliner, and just having the parts over the rails done. Still not really sure what I want. The top storage will be carpeted, so it should isolate the heat from the dog compartments pretty well.

I just know I don't want to have to keep constantly taking my other box out to pull a gooseneck... And I HATE shiny stuff.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 am

I think Powder coating it black would be fine. I remember somewhere someone put bed liner on theirs and then took measurements in the middle of the day and in the middle of the summer. The readings came back the same on both. So I would say go for it. Fans I think would be fine but only if they are sucking from the outside and the box has good air flow already.

Jesse

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 am

IMO Black is not a good Idea. Black (flat black is worse than gloss) in the sun will heat up in the shade no. I would not even do black up here in Maine. Walk on tar in the sun then on concrete next to it in the sun tell me which is cooler.
Touch a white painted roof then a black one.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:15 am

Yes the outside heats up but the inside does not. Why do you think roofs are made of asphalt and tar. It will heat up but the heat does not penetrate to the inside. It blocks it from going thru. Take a box wrap it in a black bag and put a thermometer in it. Then put it in a normal box and I bet it would show the same or with in a couple degrees.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:09 pm

We've done some crude tests on tool boxes before. Black was hotter to the touch, not appreciably hotter inside. I have a Fluke meter for measuring temperature, so accuracy was is there.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:40 pm

displaced_texan wrote: because generally unless we are hunting (cold enough for boxes usually) they ride up front with me.
Have'nt you ever heard the saying "Don't spoil your birddog".....I guess not :lol: .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Ron R wrote:
displaced_texan wrote: because generally unless we are hunting (cold enough for boxes usually) they ride up front with me.
Have'nt you ever heard the saying "Don't spoil your birddog".....I guess not :lol: .
Oh, I hear lots of stuff.

I just don't listen to much of it! :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:43 pm

I friend used the "do-it-yourself" bedliner on his truck bed, it looked great but 2 months after the fact to smell was still EXTREMELY bad. That was in a open truck bed that get driven daily, just thought I would pass that along.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Ive got a black dog box with storage on top and on the hottest dya it will be cooler inside the dog compartments than out side in the sun. If its an insulated box it wont be any hotter or cooler because of the color. I have always owned black dog boxes and will continue.

You have to becareful with dogs in a box any time its warm out. I have used fans in my boxes and they work fine as long as the air can blow through the box. I always mount mine in the back in the vents blowing forward.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Brittlver wrote:Yes the outside heats up but the inside does not. Why do you think roofs are made of asphalt and tar. It will heat up but the heat does not penetrate to the inside. It blocks it from going thru. Take a box wrap it in a black bag and put a thermometer in it. Then put it in a normal box and I bet it would show the same or with in a couple degrees.
I have a black pickup with a black cap the cap has a roof liner on it my remote thermometer regularly reads 135 - 145 degrees when parked in the sun inside the cap. You have to take into consideration you may be stopped in traffic with no airflow in the sun as well.leave it reflective or white or plan to put an a-c duct into it if you paint it black.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:52 pm

A vented dog box, especially one with a fan has almost nothing in common with a camper shell.

I'll never have a truck with a shell, it would make goosenecks a huge pain.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:12 pm

The dogs that were in a black metal lathe box carrier with solid top and bottom were not panting today while the dogs on the chain were. Everything was in the shade. I think ventilation is the key.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:The dogs that were in a black metal lathe box carrier with solid top and bottom were not panting today while the dogs on the chain were. Everything was in the shade. I think ventilation is the key.
I think you are dead on.

I wish I'd measured my current box before I painted it black...

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:35 pm

http://www.bittercreekhunting.com/ check these guys out they have a box with a camo finish its a real nice box.http://bittercreekhunting.com/component ... 99e5a5.jpg

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm

I've looked at the Bitter Creek stuff, but I'm not really sold on any of their designs... I'm not getting anything in camo, that is for sure.

I'm open to suggestions for sure, I'll have whatever I get for a long time, and I want to get it right.

Whatever it is needs to have a decent amount of storage, not just for training and other dog gear, but also for other stuff I keep in a truck tool box... And it is going to go against the cab, like a regular toolbox. I HATE unloading my current box to haul a GN for the afternoon... Plus I figure if I go to a shortbed I'll be happy to not eat up all my bed space with a tool box and a dog box.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Is it a myth, or will the aluminum "rub off" on a white dog's coat?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 pm

A buudy of mine does powder coating and he did some new aerospace coating on a engine block for me that is said to make the engine run about 35 degrees cooler, and yes it is black.
Might be something to look into. Plain aluminum is fine with me.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 am

Seems when I see dogs come out of uncoated Aluminum boxes they have gray on their white coats. (Might be oxidation)
Venting makes a huge difference in internal temps. Because you evacuate the heat and changing air.
Shade, (no solar heat) keeps boxes Pretty much the same.
Aluminum transmits heat and cold quickly.
Insulated boxes can reduce the effects of color on a box, but not entirely.
If you have an uninsulated box and it is black and your dog is leaning on the side wall toward the sun, the dog will feel most of the surface temp.

Brit liver you never insulated an attic space before have you?
There are many variables to asphalt roofs, color, insulation, pitch of the roof, thickness of the sheathing. etc.

The coating your buddy used may have ceramic particles in it. They use it on exhausts also. I used to sell and apply a roof coating that was an acrylic polymer base with ceramic particles in it, near the size of 100 grit sand paper. It is amazing how quick the ceramic dis-pates the heat. My white dog box is painted with it.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 am

displaced_texan wrote:I HATE unloading my current box to haul a GN for the afternoon... Plus I figure if I go to a shortbed I'll be happy to not eat up all my bed space with a tool box and a dog box.
You may google search deercreek dog boxes they are in Indiana but they build every box as its ordered, so you can get them about however you want. I had them shorten mine up enough that I could push it all the way against the cab of the truck and tie it down so that I can still pull out GN horse trailer and take the dogs along.

Over the years I have bought and sold several boxes including one that was like a tool box with dog kennels under it, and Ill never own a nother one. it would be great for britts or beagles but I had it for a bout 2 months before I sold it and ought a bigger box.

JIm

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 am

jimbo&rooster wrote: Over the years I have bought and sold several boxes including one that was like a tool box with dog kennels under it, and Ill never own a nother one. it would be great for britts or beagles but I had it for a bout 2 months before I sold it and ought a bigger box.

JIm
Just curious why you disliked that one?

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Seems when I see dogs come out of uncoated Aluminum boxes they have gray on their white coats. (Might be oxidation)
Brit liver you never insulated an attic space before have you?
There are many variables to asphalt roofs, color, insulation, pitch of the roof, thickness of the sheathing. etc.

Yes I have been in numerous attics before. I was just stating a fact that roofs have black on them. If it was so bad to do then you would see all white roofs. I have been in them in the dead middle of summer and winter.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 am

displaced_texan wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote: Over the years I have bought and sold several boxes including one that was like a tool box with dog kennels under it, and Ill never own a nother one. it would be great for britts or beagles but I had it for a bout 2 months before I sold it and ought a bigger box.

JIm
Just curious why you disliked that one?

At the time I had hounds that weighed anywhere from 60-90 lbs and a lab that went about 75lbs and it just seemed like they were always cramped. They couldnt really stretch out and they couldnt stand up. Since then I have always had a full sized traditional dog box and have been much happier. Like I said, I did have the current dog box im using built a little shorter than the standard box the company makes so that I can still use a gooseneck.

If you are truely interested in the type of box that is more of a tool box dog box combo I suggest yo find someone who has one and put a full grown pointer, GSP or lab in it. the one you showed the link for looked a little bigger than the one I had but just not my box of cookies.

JIm

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:

At the time I had hounds that weighed anywhere from 60-90 lbs and a lab that went about 75lbs and it just seemed like they were always cramped. They couldnt really stretch out and they couldnt stand up. Since then I have always had a full sized traditional dog box and have been much happier. Like I said, I did have the current dog box im using built a little shorter than the standard box the company makes so that I can still use a gooseneck.

If you are truely interested in the type of box that is more of a tool box dog box combo I suggest yo find someone who has one and put a full grown pointer, GSP or lab in it. the one you showed the link for looked a little bigger than the one I had but just not my box of cookies.

JIm
Thanks a lot for the input. That one in a two dog configuration gives them lots of room, but I'm still not completely sure...

Can you hitch up with yours? I wouldn't mind pics if you happen to have some... Is your truck a long bed?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 pm

Yeah if you want pics Ill try to get em up. or you can send me a PM with a cell # and ill txt em. My truck is a long bed and I had my box built to 36in long which lets me slide it all the way forward and gives me about a foot +or- a couple inches. It is a bitch to hook up on my own but can be done. i am figuring out how to put a mirror together that I can put on the gooseneck to help line me up.

Jim

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm

PM sent.

Thanks a ton for your input!