First litter coming next month and question...

Karen
GDF Junkie

First litter coming next month and question...

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:25 pm

We're expecting our first litter the week of September 17th. The whelping box is built, we bought an extra 4 x 8 piece of plywood, covered it with linoleum, raised it up off the floor with 2 x 4's and put the whelping box on that, then surrounded it with a 4' high x-pen (easy to clean and can be a puppy pen when the whelping box is no longer necessary). We have it set up in a corner of our basement, which is not finished, but is dry and had a dehumidifier running 24/7 in it. We mounted a pole on one side of the whelping box and put a heat lamp on it.

I left the heat lamp running for a couple hours on Saturday with a thermometer in the whelping box. Temp went from 66 to 74 (the temp is a steady 66 degrees year round). I moved the heat lamp down a bit....we got to 79.8. Obviously I need it a bit warmer in the whelping box. Right now the basement is a big, open area, so heating it with space heaters is an issue (the electrical is all one circuit, and it's about 1200 sq. feet). Do I add another heat lamp? A kennel heating pad? Any recommendations.

And Mommy & Daddy!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: First litter coming next month and question...

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Heating pad is too dangerous for pups as they can't move off it easily. Sounds like more space heaters are needed. *Remove them when pups start moving around on the floor.)I value a scale for pups. Not gaining weight is one of the first signs of a pup in trouble. Enjoy the experience.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 pm

You might need a stronger heat lamp, and you can point it straight down. The temp only needs to be in the 90's in a small section of the box. That way the female can get away from the heat.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:48 pm

I can't see the inside of your box there, but make sure you have pig rails on it for the pups to slide under in case the mama lays on them. I lost a foster pup that way - and it isn't pretty. You likely won't need the fencing around the area until the pups are much larger - my breeder always leaves the area open for her bitch to get in and out of when she wants to.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Yup, pig rails are installed. Thanks!

ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm

you can just see the cord over on the right hand side and yes the pups can move off and on as they need I get the door mats from walmart that have the rubberized underside you can get them where you get the front door mats they are like 3 or 4 bucks and then I put the heating pad underneath
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 pm

I get a bundle of whelping pads..They are great..Used hospital bed pads...
brenda

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:02 am

I would worry about the dog grabbing the heat lamp cord and getting shocked or possibly pulling it down onto the bedding and having a fire or burns to the pups.
The nicest setup i have seen is on phantom kennels facebook page. He has ac and heat along with the heat lamp setup that's guarded. Tied in with a scotts type outside run for bathroom breaks for the mom. I would post pictures of it if i could but i can't off my cell phone.
His website with the facebook link is
Www.phantomkennels.com

stevoman

Post by stevoman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 am

Everything looks great and ready to go. best of luck with the new litter. the parents look like fantastic dogs!
Follow my Springer Spaniels upland bird and wildfowl season here in Ireland on twitter. - just search - cooltederry gundogs