House Dog to Kennel Dog.

jcbuttry8

Re: House Dog to Kennel Dog.

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm liking all the ideas. I am soon to move Kona out. Last week she decided to eat the arm off the chair in the back room. My wife was ready to send her back to tommyboy. I skated by but not without agreeing to a muzzle when she is running around the house. Which means the muzzle only when mom is in the area.

I am thinking 10 by 10 but am looking at using 1 by 1 patio blocks for flooring. I know it will be a little more on the budget but will cut down on dirty dog and digging when bored. Good luck on your pups move. Keep me informed as to any new tricks you try.

Joe

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Make it 4 or 5 ft wide and longer. 5X20 is the same size as 10X10. Dogs exercise much more in a longer run. I always made mine 16 ft because I could get 8 ft panels.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:58 pm

thanks ezzy. I will give it a shot.

Joe

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 pm

UPDATE:

Got some more things done. Not as much as I would have liked to but its a start. Wife talked me into the fancy composite siding. I was going to go OSB to keep cost down but oh well. She wants it to look good.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 pm

UPDATE:

Hoping to be done this weekend. Got the roof on and will be shingled this weekend.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 am

Looking really good!!..by the way you mentioned you will be making it for 2 dogs, have you picked another pup out yet??...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:01 am

ezzy333 wrote:Make it 4 or 5 ft wide and longer. 5X20 is the same size as 10X10. Dogs exercise much more in a longer run. I always made mine 16 ft because I could get 8 ft panels.

Ezzy
great info for ezzy, makes sense :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:21 am

Ruth,

No second dog yet, but hoping to get one before the end of fall. Someone to keep molly company. Couple small details and it will be done.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Vman wrote:
Lee you have to remember this is going to be built for two dogs
If I add up the costs that I have in my last dog that I bought, I can easily come up with $2500. If I add trial premiums into that I will go over $3000 without a hitch. So to protect that animal and investment with a $200 dog house that is safe,clean, warm and dry and easy to clean is a no-brainer to me. Not some place I want to cut corners. If the dog gets sick once because of the cheap house, it will cost you more than $200 just in the first visit to your Vet.
You will also have frost on your floor if you leave it on the ground.
Good Luck too you! Show us a pic when you are done. I will keep my opinion to myself I promise. :lol:
I am yet to see a dog that got sick from a cheap house. I have built a lot of them for our summers and winter use and have never insulated one and most were a single have inch and 3/4 inch plywood. Built them with the center wall so they coud get back in the other half which would have 4 to eight inches of bedding for insulation. Many times the dogs woud stay out in the hallway of the house till it got below zero. We had puppies in them as well as housing the dogs. I thought they were real nice after having the dogs sleep in the dairy cattle loafing shed. But they did well there too where they could nest down in the loose hay.

Ezzy
Too funny. You definately remind me of my Father. ROFLMBO
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett