House Dog to Kennel Dog.

Brittlver

House Dog to Kennel Dog.

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

Alright everyone I think I have finished getting all the pieces I need for my Kennel. Picking up a Dog house tonight for $25. Ordering a Sun Shade today for $40. I have a 10' X 10' Kennel in the yard now. My Question is what is the best way to move our dog from being Indoors to a Kennel without annoying the neighbors. We have her outside for a little while we are home on a tie out and then inside under direct supervision as she goes nuts when she is inside and we have a 2 year old that she likes to run into. So now that I have everything coming together I want to move her outside. She recently started barking like crazy while outside so we ended up getting a TT bark collar which is working like a dream. Over the last week and half everytime I turn it off it blinks 3-4 times. So that will prob. be on her near 24 hrs except when we are with her to keep her from driving the neighbors nuts and calling the police. I am hoping that after a week or two she will stop on her own. Sorry for the long rant but what do you guys and gals think?

Jesse

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: House Dog to Kennel Dog.

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:03 pm

I think you've thought of everything. It should fine. Remember though that just because a dog can run in a kennel doesn't mean it doesn't need a good long run a couple times a week ,and one on one attention.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 pm

We are down to 15 days before grouse season opens so she will get plenty of field time if I can find some around here. Otherwise she goes to the dog park alot and has a 30' tie out she plays on. We are also thinking of getting her a room mate to keep her company and play with when we can't.

Jesse

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:52 pm

did you think of digging? if it becomes a problem I have put fencing on the ground around the edge of the fence. stops them from digging out

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:02 pm

I hope she doesn't start. She doesn't do it now but if she does I will try what you advised. Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:45 pm

It's not funny. It is unkind and unnecessary.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Gitterdone,

Think I would tread softly about having the guts to train a dog or to rehoming one. Seems I have seen it happen to other people not too long ago.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 pm

I don't know how the last two post got on this post? Strange

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Brittlver wrote:I don't know how the last two post got on this post? Strange
It's almost as if someone deleted something.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Well I know Gittrdone said something. I was talking to him on the phone a little while ago but dont know what he said. Maybe someone can catch us up here.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 am

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

But not on GDF

Give me Liberty or Give me Death !

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:45 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

But not on GDF

Give me Liberty or Give me Death !
Nice speech but you should go back and study the whole thing. But even from what you quoted did you notice the word congress? And if you truly believe that there are no qualifiers then remember I have the same rights you do. I can come into your house and say anything I want and you have no right to stop me since that is how you want this forum operated. Oh and by the way we are going to have a rally and it will be at your place, on your property, in your house since we have the right to do just that.

Think maybe we should stop and think a moment before trying to stir up trouble ona forum you have been allowed to be a part of by the owner?

Maybe we can get back to discussing Britlvers question about putting his pup in a kennel. Just be prepared for some barking I would guess and don't give in to her or you will have more problems.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 am

Well hopefully she will feel right at home with her new dog house. Needs some work but with a new roof and sides it will be good as new. Its alot bigger then I thought it would be but after driving 45 mins to get it I wasn't going to pass on it. Oh well she will like it.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it out of my truck. :roll:

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

That big house will not hold the body heat of your brit very well. :idea:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 am

Hope you don't plan on leaving the dog out in the winter in that thing.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:23 am

I more then likely will be keeping the dog inside over the winter. I plan making two rooms in there with two different doors. So the inside wont be that big and it will all be insulated. Right now it measures 5-6 ft wide and 4 ft deep. So when the wall is put in it should bring it to 3 ft by 2 ft. which should be small enough where they can stay warm. It will be all sealed up so no air can get in and will prob. be putting a door so the air doesnt come in thru the door to much.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:30 am

That should work fine, your location & that big house & smaller dog just made my lights go off. :lol:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:36 am

Ya I got there and thought to myself holy cow. where they housing a horse or something. Nope they had one Alasken Malamute. Talk about a mini mansion. :lol:

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:47 am

Wow, You need to leave it in your truck for hunting season :D Take it to the local trial with a door on it. Write BRUTUS on the side .LOL :D :D :D

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:53 am

With how big that thing is it just might be staying there. :P

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Jesse,

Put a wall down the middle with a hole about 6 or 8 inches off the floor at the back of the wall. That way the wind can't get in and the bedding will stay in. The dog can go back in the room when its cold and she can lay out in the entry hall way when its warm. Thats how I built all of my houses so the wind couldn't blow in and you don't have to invest in a dor that closes. It also allows enough circulation to keep it from becoming over damp or over warm from condensation.

Ezzy

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks for the Idea Ezzy. I will keep that in mind when I figure out how to get this thing off and start working on it.

P.S. Coop is now built so will have to come pick up those birds some day.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 pm

OK just let me knowso I am sure to have them ready for you. If you get them soon they may have a brood yet this fall to get you started early next spring.

Ezzy

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Ezzy,

I am hoping I can get down there with in the month. I am thinking Joe will be coming up for some Grouse hunting so you may be able to send them with him.

Jesse

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Brittlver wrote:Thanks for the Idea Ezzy. I will keep that in mind when I figure out how to get this thing off and start working on it.

you could put a piece of plywood as a ramp by tying the plywood to the tailgate, tie the doghouse to a tree and slowly pull away so the house slides down the plywood, then you can put ABS pipes under it to roll it wherever you want to put it on your property..we helped out my husbands cousin that did that so it does work :wink: ...ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:05 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
Brittlver wrote:Thanks for the Idea Ezzy. I will keep that in mind when I figure out how to get this thing off and start working on it.

you could put a piece of plywood as a ramp by tying the plywood to the tailgate, tie the doghouse to a tree and slowly pull away so the house slides down the plywood..we helped out my husbands cousin that did that so it does work :wink: ...ruth
I've done that many times with a heavy object.

Ezzy

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for the input guys and Gals (Ruth). I am thinking since I need a new roof I will rip all that off along with the sheeting on the walls. I am hoping that will make it light enough where we can lift it off. if not I got a couple 2x4's that I could stick under and do as you said. I think this thing ways a couple hundred pounds. It was loaded with a tractor. LOL

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:54 pm

That brought back a memory of my Dad housing a big, traditional husky in a caboose. His job was to guard the turkeys. One night he jumped right through the bedroom window and landed on my Dad's chest - Wild dogs were in the pens.( In those days you shot marauding dogs.)

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Sharon wrote:In those days you shot marauding dogs
That still happens in most places were common sense is still Present

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:34 pm

What kind of bedding do you guys suggest for a kennel dog.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 am

Wrap a chain around that house and hook it to a tree and give it to her, she will come out or apart in which case weren't built good enough. :lol: just kidding.

The center wall is a good idea, but I would take a sawazll to between the rafters and the walls then put a set of hinges on the top at the peak so you can lift it to clean it.

I like straw as it usually has less dust and hold heat better.
Also like feed hay as it has a sweet smell but can be expensive.
Britts are pretty hardy dogs, so what ever bedding you choose will suffice.
Mine can be inside the garage which is around 45 in winter but choose to be outside when it is in the teens or less.

Put the house up on blocks too, It will rot quickly if in contact with the ground.
You may also want to wash the inside with bleach and deflea it. then rinse it real good.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:20 am

Ruffshooter wrote: Put the house up on blocks too, It will rot quickly if in contact with the ground.
for sure the floor will rot quick but rather than blocks I put mine on a sheet of 4" white styrofoam to insulate the floor as well as keep it high and dry.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 am

Hate too be the one to tell you Jesse, but by the time you take that monstrosity apart and put in dividers, new floor, new roof with shingles and other parts that are shot you could have bought a brand new K-9 Condo. How you going to disinfect that? Looks like a flea house to me. Sorry.
Your best bet would have been to buy a TE Scott Kennel.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 am

Vman wrote:Hate too be the one to tell you Jesse, but by the time you take that monstrosity apart and put in dividers, new floor, new roof with shingles and other parts that are shot you could have bought a brand new K-9 Condo. How you going to disinfect that? Looks like a flea house to me. Sorry.
Theres 3 for sale in the classifieds on here for 500 bucks with houses for all, 1 for 200, seems like a good deal....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:39 am

Vman wrote:Hate too be the one to tell you Jesse, but by the time you take that monstrosity apart and put in dividers, new floor, new roof with shingles and other parts that are shot you could have bought a brand new K-9 Condo. How you going to disinfect that? Looks like a flea house to me. Sorry.
The floor is actually is in great condition. Looks almost brand new. I have some wood at home already so the divider i have wood for.

Starting to get a list together of what I need.

5 - 2x4's for rafters
1 - sheet of OSB for roof.
Insulation for the walls
OSB for the walls - 3 sheets
Checking with my dad cause I think he has shingles left over from his reroof

Going to try and keep the new items under $40

Got it off my truck, the roof is off and the walls are off. Time to clean and put back together.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:43 am

All I can say it GOOD LUCK!

If you were my son I would tell you, you are sticking money in a dead horse. But, do what you gotta do. :wink:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:24 am

Lets make this fun and See who can get closer to the cost of do this.

So far I got $25 into the cost of buying it. I am not including gas in this.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Brittlver wrote:Lets make this fun and See who can get closer to the cost of do this.

So far I got $25 into the cost of buying it. I am not including gas in this.
Use 2x for the roof will help make it lighter. Shouldn't take much to remodel it. Probably less than 40 I would think.

Ezzy

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Before you get too carried away you should buy a door for it, or at least know the door dimensions. you will have $104 dollrs in it not counting gas. Time? 8hrs start to finish paint.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Vman wrote:Before you get too carried away you should buy a door for it, or at least know the door dimensions. you will have $104 dollrs in it not counting gas. Time? 8hrs start to finish paint.
No way would I put a door on it. You need the air for ventilation and to keep the humidity down. Humidity is what makes any shelter for any animal a harmful environment that causes all sorts of respiratory problems. If a dog is well bedded , dry and out of the wind it will be comfortable. Humidity allows bacteria to flourish..

Ezzy

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Is fiberglass insulation ok if seal it in. I am just thinking it will be a better R factor then foam panels.

So far my list to get this going is going to be:

5 - 8ft 2x4's ($12.50)
2 - 7/16 sheathing ($12)
3 - Panels to do the walls. Debating between plywood ($33) or composite siding ($54)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Jesse foam is better insulation but the secret is to get evrything insulated with out holes in it. I normally filled the walls with wood chips and that was plenty. You could use hay, straw, newspaper, or the blow in type of insulation. Or if it is double walled you won't need anything but I would use something while you have it open and exposed.

Ezzy

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:27 pm

See that is why I thought Fiberglass. It has a R value of 13 verses 3.5 with foam. its 3.5 inches thick and could fill up all the areas well. I will look into the foam panels though, only problem is the thickest one is 2 in.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:05 pm

No way would I put a door on it. You need the air for ventilation and to keep the humidity down. Humidity is what makes any shelter for any animal a harmful environment that causes all sorts of respiratory problems. If a dog is well bedded , dry and out of the wind it will be comfortable. Humidity allows bacteria to flourish..
I agree with what you say about humidity and bacteria. But a good door like T.E.Scotts are ventilated and you can open the removable roof a half in or so and you will not have a problem. Pretty hard to heat without a door. We have pretty cold weather up here in the winter and a door will make Miss Molly a lot more comfortable in Jan. :wink:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:22 pm

I will keep the door in mind. Lee you have to remember this is going to be built for two dogs. So to go with the houses you were talking about would cost me well over two hundred. So to stick a 100 into this one I will still come out ahead and have a house that will last a very long time. The floor is made out of 3/4 Maple Plywood and looks almost brand new. Just have to figure out the insulation part and I should be able to start putting it back together.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Please post pictures when your done. I'm anxious to see the completed remodel job!. Good luck to you and your dog. Hope you both stay warm this Winter.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Lee you have to remember this is going to be built for two dogs
If I add up the costs that I have in my last dog that I bought, I can easily come up with $2500. If I add trial premiums into that I will go over $3000 without a hitch. So to protect that animal and investment with a $200 dog house that is safe,clean, warm and dry and easy to clean is a no-brainer to me. Not some place I want to cut corners. If the dog gets sick once because of the cheap house, it will cost you more than $200 just in the first visit to your Vet.
You will also have frost on your floor if you leave it on the ground.
Good Luck too you! Show us a pic when you are done. I will keep my opinion to myself I promise. :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Vman wrote:
Lee you have to remember this is going to be built for two dogs
If I add up the costs that I have in my last dog that I bought, I can easily come up with $2500. If I add trial premiums into that I will go over $3000 without a hitch. So to protect that animal and investment with a $200 dog house that is safe,clean, warm and dry and easy to clean is a no-brainer to me. Not some place I want to cut corners. If the dog gets sick once because of the cheap house, it will cost you more than $200 just in the first visit to your Vet.
You will also have frost on your floor if you leave it on the ground.
Good Luck too you! Show us a pic when you are done. I will keep my opinion to myself I promise. :lol:
I am yet to see a dog that got sick from a cheap house. I have built a lot of them for our summers and winter use and have never insulated one and most were a single have inch and 3/4 inch plywood. Built them with the center wall so they coud get back in the other half which would have 4 to eight inches of bedding for insulation. Many times the dogs woud stay out in the hallway of the house till it got below zero. We had puppies in them as well as housing the dogs. I thought they were real nice after having the dogs sleep in the dairy cattle loafing shed. But they did well there too where they could nest down in the loose hay.

Ezzy

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 pm

The foam is 5 to 7.5 per inch for Styrofoam or Thermax, You can double it, The problem with fiberglass is the mice like getting in it and making their nests also bugs. But it is expensive.
I would put metal (aluminum on the exterior corners as well to help keep the pup from chewing them.
I had one years ago when I was in my early twenties similar to what you have there.
The foam on the bottom is a good I dea as Vman pointed out. although I would still raise it up higher just to keep it out of the wet and snow more so.
Your pup will like what ever you do. Just make sure to consult him on a better color.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Update:

Got it down to the studs and cleaned. Got two rafters on. Will get some better pics tomorrow. Doing some more work then too.