NorthStar Plastics

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

NorthStar Plastics

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Anyone have a box from them? Just curious they can do a custom box for me far more reasonable than I have been able to find anywhere else. Do the seem to be heavy duty enough? How thin are the walls on an uninsulated? Do they look like they would hold up?

If you would prefer you can send me a PM.

Keith White

Re: NorthStar Plastics

Post by Keith White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 pm

They have a video on youtube. Looks like a pretty good box to me. Now you have me looking into them. In youtube search nstarplastics and the video should come up.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I bought one about a month ago at the Gamefair in MN after I decided to ditch my project box. I bought a two hole box with top storage. It has the nice louvered doors, slide vents on the side, handles to carry and in the center there is a divider that I can slide out and make into one big area. What I also liked about it was when I was checking it out it had been sitting out in the sun an it wasn't even warm to the touch. So far I've been quite happy with it. I also like the lifetime warranty but that doesn't include the hardware like latches, locks. I'll try to post some pictures up.

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm

gsps4evr wrote:I bought one about a month ago at the Gamefair in MN after I decided to ditch my project box. I bought a two hole box with top storage. It has the nice louvered doors, slide vents on the side, handles to carry and in the center there is a divider that I can slide out and make into one big area. What I also liked about it was when I was checking it out it had been sitting out in the sun an it wasn't even warm to the touch. So far I've been quite happy with it. I also like the lifetime warranty but that doesn't include the hardware like latches, locks. I'll try to post some pictures up.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your box? I am interested in a two hole box as well.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I am looking at having them build me a five hole, three on top two on bottom.

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 am

Cabela's in Kansas city is carrying the large and medium.

I homed in on them right away. Nicely made. Will be my next

crate.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 pm

I inquired about a 4 hole (2 on top, 2 on bottom) to fit a Dakota a while back and was given a cost of $1549 plus shipping.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Here's some pictures of the box I picked up. I gave $925. Which is alot of coin I think but it should be the last box I ever buy unless I get another couple dogs. They had another one that was similar but not as big and without the louvered doors and good locks. That was a couple hundred less.
ImageImage

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:56 pm

What is the weight like? Do you think the insulation is needed with the box being plastic?

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm

It weighs somewhere around 100-125 pounds. I asked the owner about the insulation for the winter for up here in Mn but he said alot of people don't insulate them. You'd think if they really needed it they'd suggest it. I talked with a guy that has one and he said his dogs seem plenty comfortable in them in the summer and winter. When I was looking at it the day I bought it was sitting out in the sun and with a temp gauge outside and inside it read 14 degrees cooler inside the box so I'm thinking that the plastic doesn't absorb the heat like a metal. I'm hoping in the winter the dogs body heat will stay trapted inside during the cold winter days. Time will tell this winter it I think its needed.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:22 am

ACooper wrote:I am looking at having them build me a five hole, three on top two on bottom.
A five hole? So that must mean your taking a pup out of Jill's next litter...............sweet..................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 am

lvrgsp wrote:
ACooper wrote:I am looking at having them build me a five hole, three on top two on bottom.
A five hole? So that must mean your taking a pup out of Jill's next litter...............sweet..................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well we might work something out, as long as you break it first!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:04 am

ACooper wrote:
lvrgsp wrote:

Well we might work something out, as long as you break it first!
Man they break themselves out. You just gotta hold on to em.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:28 am

I would stay away from plastic it gets brittle in the cold, there is a good possibilty of dropping it on a corner on a cold day while moving it. The prices are in the aluminum range. If you are worried about the insulation factor of aluminum fill it with straw or buy the kits where you use your own plywood and the kit has the door face and frame out of aluminum. I can tell this box is better built and resembles ABS plastic which is tough stuff until it gets cold. but i have thrown away too many plastic kennels away. At that price i see no bargain to risk it.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I was wondering about that also before I bought my box. I looked up the properties of High Density Polyethylene which is the type of plastic they use and its brittleness temperature range is -94--148 degrees. So I think its good to go in the cold weather. Besides theres a lifetime warranty that would cover it.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 am

I thought it was pvc by looking at it. I also saw the lifetime warranty but it seems like there's always something in the fine print to where a manufacturer doesent end up losing. I do have some experince with the poly in other products such as plumbing pipe. The poly pipe pretty good stuff, easy to work with and reasonably priced. I do like the way the kennels look and i can see the benifits. I hope it works out well.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Got my new box and though I just got it, I think is going to fit the bill very well. It wont get a good test until I head to TX in about 10 days, but after that I should know a little more.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Andy hope it serves your purpose looks good other than being taller then your cab better fasten it down wind might blow it over.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I did opt for taller holes instead of being cab height, we do haul some good size dogs,I ran down the interstate with it tonight and did not notice any extra wind noise or drag. And of course it will be locked into place.