10 years ago tomorrow

isonychia

10 years ago tomorrow

Post by isonychia » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 pm

What were you doing? I was in middle school (7th grade?) and remember spending the whole day in class watching the news on the TV, I had no idea... It is truly hard to believe it has already been 10 years since then.

brad27

Re: 10 years ago tomorrow

Post by brad27 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 pm

I was in college. I didn't go to class that day because I stayed up too late the night before drinking. My roomate woke me with the news.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:56 pm

I was watching the big red dog with my kids when my wife came in from the night shift of the ER and said a plane hit the towers. We were in East Windsor, NJ. I still drive into the City regularly and even 10 years later I look for the towers when I see the skyline. Even now it is hard to believe they aren't there. God bless all of those who lost. And for Gary, We love you and miss you. Ten years later and you are still very much with us. RIP.

Joe

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:05 pm

My office was 3 blocks from the WTC. I was in the elevator when the first plane hit. We had a clear view from the conference room when the second plane hit.

I watched outside for about 30 minutes or so watching the buildings burn. I went to get the ferry from the East River and as the ferry pulled up ash started coming down the side-streets. When we turned to the Hudson we saw that both buildings were gone.

I went to at least 15 memorial services, one with just a hand in the casket.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm

I was home on my day off from work and my kid called me from his work and told me to turn on the television. Then, he told me they were going to security lockdown at the government facility where he was working and that he had to hang up and didn't know when he would be able to leave. My husband was sleeping from working overtime on second shift. I woke him up. We watched the second plane hit. I called my staff and made sure they knew. I took them a television to watch at work. I came back home. Cars were lined up half a mile at the gas stations and the price was over $4.00 a gallon. By the evening, guys from our fire department were talking about volunteering to search at Ground Zero. FDNY 343, never forget.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 am

I was at a stop light after dropping my girls off at school when i heard it on the radio, as i turned the corner i saw EVERYONE pulling off to the side of the road and knew that people were in shock and trying to make sense of what was happening..when i got home my husband was watching the t.v and we both sat pretty much without a word watching it in disbelief...the song WHERE WERE YOU (WHEN THE WORLD STOPPED TURNING) by ALAN JACKSON makes me very emotional every time i listen to it...ruth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8puRqE4Sc
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JuliaH

Post by JuliaH » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:28 am

I was on my way to visit a horse farm with a friend, and we first heard it on the radio. When we got to the farm they had the big screen TV playing and we all stood in shocked silence at what was being shown.. NEVER FORGET!
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 am

Glued to a TV thinking oh my god, we may not forget but we have to teach our children about that day. I teach Highschool the kids were six or seven years old when the towers went down, they had no idea of the gravity of the situation until I sat them down and had them watch a couple discovery channel videos this week. They were glued not even the slightest peep, it was all new to most of them. There is a great video on the construction of the new world trade center on NOVA's website about the construction of the new world trade center and the monument. It is something to be proud of.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 am

I was in the army. I was on KP (kitchen Patrol) and was walking by my drill sergeants office and he told me to get in there quick. As I came in they were sitting there watching the news along with some other recruits. Then all of a sudden the second plane hit. We sat there watching the news until they fell. After that we went to tell everyone else what had happened see if anyone had family in the area. The day after we went into lock down and started putting barb wire around every building. Bradleys were driving down the road all day fully loaded with live .50 cal ammo. Other soldiers were walking around with M16s with live ammo. We started doing Guard duty and checking every ones ids. It was nuts. It was never the same after that day. They started discharging everyone for the littlest medical problems to make room for new recruits. Thats when I got discharged. I was so peed. I was a M1A1 Tanker. I was so strange being there before and after the attacks. It felt like we were preparing to be invaded. Supposedly we were the number 1 base to be attacked according to the higher ups.

Jesse

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 am

I was in college had an early math class when a classmate came in late and told us what happened so we were let out of class to go watch the news. Worked at a car lot back then spent the rest of the day fueling up vehicles as everyone was freaking out about the gas.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 am

I in my freshman year at Messiah College and walking to Chapel that morning. Someone said something about it and it was announced that morning at our service and all classes were canceled that day.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:41 pm

I was in Dayton,Ohio putting a new roof on my sister's house & knew nothing about it untill she pulled in the driveway.I said did you come home for lunch,she said you don't know what is going on do youI said no I been out here working since daylight sp she told me what was happening.Her office was just a couple blocks from Wright Pat Air Force Base & they sent every around it home.I couldn't stop & go watch the news as I had part of her roof tore off & had to get it done before the evening in case a rain came up.
She said I'll bring you a radio,I said no I'll see it tonight as I knew I probably wouldn't get much done if I started lisening to it.
I finished what I had to do before taking a shower eating supper then watching the news.I was in disbelief of seeing the planes flying into the Towers & them coming down,it overwelmed me with so many emotions like nothing ever before or sence,anger,& sadness mostly.I will NEVER FORGET it & it really upsets me to hear ANYONE disrespect MY Country & Flag!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:06 pm

I was working at Probation/Parole helping young street boys manage. Someone told us to turn on our t.v. Not a good idea.

These fearful, anxious kids didn't need to see the bigger world out of control too. They were shocked and frightened.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:49 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:I was at a stop light after dropping my girls off at school when i heard it on the radio, as i turned the corner i saw EVERYONE pulling off to the side of the road and knew that people were in shock and trying to make sense of what was happening..when i got home my husband was watching the t.v and we both sat pretty much without a word watching it in disbelief...the song WHERE WERE YOU (WHEN THE WORLD STOPPED TURNING) by ALAN JACKSON makes me very emotional every time i listen to it...ruthhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8puRqE4Sc

Ya me too, only it makes me mad that someone would go that far to prosper off of a tragic event.
Last edited by JWP58 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Women in Agriculture conference, we were just grouping together to get on the bus for the days' activities. It was horrifying to watch. Hard to believe it's been 10 years!

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:58 pm

wow, I remember I had graduated high school one year early and was working late that night closing the store as a bagger. next morning woke up to a loud tv in the living room.....couldn't step away from the tv. Was very saddened I was in California, and couldn't help at all. Now I lice in Utah, but still remember that day as if it were yesterday. Can't believe it's been 10 long years!

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 am

I was in Sophomore English class in my highschool... I remember kids from other classes coming into our room because we had one of the only TV's in the hallway. Everyone was in shock. Looking back on it now I wish I could remember more... that way I would be more apt to remember it everyday!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:25 am

I was at work, in the cafeteria getting a soda. Went over to the TV's and saw the first tower smoking. All the news said was that a plane had struck the tower. I had no idea of the scale of the hole in the building, so I looked at it and figured some dumb*ss in a Cessna screwed up. Perfect example of a pre-9/11 mindset; my thoughts never once went to it being a commercial airliner or it being an intentional attack. At least until the second plane hit.

Then when the first tower went down, the TV didn't show it fall, but showed the scene right afterwards. Again, everyone in the room knew something looked different, but it didn't occur to a single person that the tower had actually collapsed - something wasn't right, but we couldn't figure out what, our minds just couldn't go there. Then when the caption flashed that the tower fell, the complete shock was palpable. All in all, a terrible, surreal experience.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 am

I was working from home trying to get some paperwork done. My wife called me and told me so I turned on the TV. I went into the office and not a one of us got anything done that day. We were glued to the TV for the next few days. Most unproductive time at work I had ever experienced. We even ordered pizza and chinese in so no one had to leave for lunch. It sure doesnt seem like ten years. Every generation has a "time" like pearl harbor, JFK, Elvis's death, etc. the only difference in this situation is that is is an ongoing situation at the forefront of everyones thoughts. The others came in fast and left in the same fashion. I really doubt this will EVER be forgot or lose the intensity of feelings even by future generations.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:31 pm

I was in my sophomore biology class in high school. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 pm

I was at work at our State Office Building in Salt Lake City, I usually came in early so it was about 7:30 in the morning when someone said they heard on the radion that a plane hit the Twin Towers in NYC. Then another hit and then Pentagon and the Pennsylvania crash. Being a federal building they sent us home at just before noon. The thing that struck me the most that day, was that the SLC area is a heavy flight area with , SLC International, Hill AFB and numerous general aviation airports in the area and the airspace was completely quiet until a C-130 took off from Hill at 4:30 that afternoon.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 pm

I was just off my shift working on a medical helicopter and driving toward St. Louis. By the time I got to St. Louis there were tons of planes circling Lambert airport to land. We were grounded for a day or so and then on pretty tight restrictions for a while after that. We had to call the FFA anytime we had a request and get permission to respond which took a while because they had to clear the pilot and crew.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:18 pm

I got called out of my the high school weight room (the dungeon) for a phone call and it was my mother, who was stationed at the pentagon telling me she was alright and hadnt made it to work yet........ I had no idea what she was talking about...... I had to go back and tell my team mates what had happened, the rest of the school was watching the news.

Its funny to me, When I went to school last friday several people asked me if the middle school i teach at was going to have a program or anything, and other than a few words after the pledge nothing else was said...... Ididn' t really get it. When I asked my principal about it she simply said that these kids knew about as much about 9/11 as I knew about the Kennedy assasination.... Its pretty sad really.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.