Freaking out, lost pup

isonychia

Re: Freaking out, lost pup

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 am

Ruffshooter wrote:So Glad to here you got him back. Sounds like that dog may have been still looking for you as well. Big relief and just made my day a little brighter to hear of your good fortune.

I got a Sport Dog HD 1825 which is good so far.
As you know GArmin has the GPS tracker.
Sport Dog has new Tracker Trainer. Is interesting to me to some degree.http://www.gundogsupply.com/sportdog-collars.html

Rick

Don't get the new sport dog tracker trainer. Get the garmin GPS tracker called astro. I love mine and have put it to some abuse.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 am

Oh what a RELIEF....

As for collars Go with Garmin ...A few of my Trial friends have not been impressed with the SD version of tracking system..says there are some improvements it needs before they will think of investing in it.

Plus Garmin and Tri Tronics have merged so should be very interesting the products that will be coming soon
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 am

kninebirddog wrote:...Garmin and Tri Tronics have merged so should be very interesting the products that will be coming soon
Looking forward to this new relationship.

Go with the Garmin. You can find used 30s and 40s on many of these boards for very cost effective pricing. Needed mine a couple weekends ago at a trial. Course turned left and the dog kept going straight and we found him in heavy, thick, dense cover .9 miles away (2.5 miles away from start). Without it...we probably would have still been looking!

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:37 am

Great news !!!!! I personally am now saving for a tracking/GPS/e-collar unit. With the Garmin/TT merger my guess is we are about a year away from some great technology.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:39 am

Congrat's Mo.. I bet you are feeling a great bit of relief right now. When we moved this way from STL, my old setter got away the first day in the new house. We didn't find her for just shy of two months.

Bet that boy is glad to be home!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

I'm so glad you found your dog. I didn't want to say so earlier but my dog disappeared during a hunting time once , never to be seen again. He was chipped and had full ID. There's no heartache like having a family member or dog lost.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 am

I'm not new to hunting but I am new to hunting with dogs. Do dogs really get lost that often? This thread is really opening my eyes right now. I'm a bit surprised by all the lost dog stories that have come up so far. I was sitting here thinking those GPS collars were simply one more thing to buy for the gear guy...

Tim

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:57 am

It depends on the dog and the situation.

One of the most common is a dog without an ecollar chasing a deer into the next country. They seem to lose their brains and think about nothing but the deer. I lost a pup that way years ago for about 12 hours. It was gut wrenching.

Since then, I never take them out, even into the back yard, without an ecollar on.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am

DogNewbie wrote:I'm not new to hunting but I am new to hunting with dogs. Do dogs really get lost that often? This thread is really opening my eyes right now. I'm a bit surprised by all the lost dog stories that have come up so far. I was sitting here thinking those GPS collars were simply one more thing to buy for the gear guy...

Tim
Get a collar! Learn from my experience. I was devastated for three and a half days. One of the guys helping me look asked me if I was really going to give a 500 dollar reward and yes I was but woulda never had to if I had already spent that on a gps collar. I would have done anything to get him back. I just took him for a quick run in the field beside the house never thought twice about it but I will never do that again!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 am

Glad things turned out for the good. :D

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

Made my day to read that you found your pup!!!!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

Great to hear a happy ending to his adventure. Crazy pups!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:42 am

Great news! Glad you found him!

I would recommend a duralon collar with either a Boomerang tag or a riveted nameplate.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 am

YAYYY!! :mrgreen: great news, so glad you found him, i had been looking online constantly on the lost and found site on craigslist and keeping an eye on petfinder too..congrats, time for a GARMIN :wink: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:19 pm

So glad you found your pup!!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:31 pm

DogNewbie wrote:I'm not new to hunting but I am new to hunting with dogs. Do dogs really get lost that often? This thread is really opening my eyes right now. I'm a bit surprised by all the lost dog stories that have come up so far. I was sitting here thinking those GPS collars were simply one more thing to buy for the gear guy...

Tim
As has been stated, deer can cause a dog to bail on you and cover some serious ground in a hurry.

However, I have to say this...in almost fifty years of chasing bird dogs around, I have never lost one permanently. I have always had BIG running dogs. I have had a couple gone overnight because they chased deer and had one get picked up and taken home while i was hunting her by someone whose Mom insisted he make the call. I also had one disappear from around home(was stolen almost certainly) about two weeks prior to hunting season.

The dogs that were gone overnight were laying there, on my coat when I came back the next morning. The dog that was picked up nearby my home came back the next evening and was spotted two blocks from my home, lying under a parked car, panting. When someone approached him with water and food he ran away, crossed US Highway 22(2 lanes each way, constant heavy traffic with a 3 ft. divider). He was seen heading up into the Watchung mountains which are low hills across the highway from our home. We got a call and I spent a few hours cruising the roads up there. Very late that night there was a scratching at the door. The dog had figured out exactly where he was and had obviously re-crossed that same incredibly busy highway in the dead of night and found his way home. He was totally exhausted and slept for a day and a half. I have no idea how far he came from, but I am sure it was a heck of a long way because he was an all day dog and was in peak shape at the time. I have no idea how he crossed US 22 in central NJ, not once...but twice... and survived. He obviously had friends in the right places.

The ones that want to... will find their way back if they can.

That all being said, I rarely turn a dog loose theses days without an e-collar on them, unless it is at a trial, and then they are wearing a tracking device.

Glad you got your buddy back safe and sound.

RayG

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Glad you found the pup......that is a terrible feeling. I would suggest the Garmin. I have name plates on all of my dogs collars, but that relies on honest people calling me if they find the dog. A chip would not only require honest people, but them taking them to a vet and having them scanned. I would like to think that the world is full of people like that, but I guess I am a bit skeptical.
That GPS is definitely the way to go IMO!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 pm

RayGubernat wrote:

Tim
As has been stated, deer can cause a dog to bail on you and cover some serious ground in a hurry.

However, I have to say this...in almost fifty years of chasing bird dogs around, I have never lost one permanently. I have always had BIG running dogs. I have had a couple gone overnight because they chased deer and had one get picked up and taken home while i was hunting her by someone whose Mom insisted he make the call. I also had one disappear from around home(was stolen almost certainly) about two weeks prior to hunting season.

The dogs that were gone overnight were laying there, on my coat when I came back the next morning. The dog that was picked up nearby my home came back the next evening and was spotted two blocks from my home, lying under a parked car, panting. When someone approached him with water and food he ran away, crossed US Highway 22(2 lanes each way, constant heavy traffic with a 3 ft. divider). He was seen heading up into the Watchung mountains which are low hills across the highway from our home. We got a call and I spent a few hours cruising the roads up there. Very late that night there was a scratching at the door. The dog had figured out exactly where he was and had obviously re-crossed that same incredibly busy highway in the dead of night and found his way home. He was totally exhausted and slept for a day and a half. I have no idea how far he came from, but I am sure it was a heck of a long way because he was an all day dog and was in peak shape at the time. I have no idea how he crossed US 22 in central NJ, not once...but twice... and survived. He obviously had friends in the right places.

The ones that want to... will find their way back if they can.

That all being said, I rarely turn a dog loose theses days without an e-collar on them, unless it is at a trial, and then they are wearing a tracking device.

Glad you got your buddy back safe and sound.

RayG

All you need is one person who finds the dog and wants to keep it and you have lost a dog, no matter what ID it has. Happened to me once and almost twice (Had to call the Police.)
Dogs can escape from back yards too. Needs that GPS collar in the back yard.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

buckshot0074

Re: Freaking out, lost pup. FOUND!!!!

Post by buckshot0074 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm

MO_GSP wrote:We spotted him this morning about 800 yards away near some thick cover luckily my little brother was with me and being one year removed from an all state football and track star he just took off and was able to run him down. We found him within a half mile of where he was last seen. Major thanks to everyone involved had a lot of family, friends, and neighbors helping out as well as several of y'all on here giving advice, encouragement, and prayers!
P.S. Making trip to the vet tomorrow getting chipped and will be stopping at bass pro for a collar what are your suggestions for a good collar?
Great to hear !!!!!

:lol:

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Awesome News! Until you gt enough $ for that Garmin, a Durlon collar with a riveted brass ID plate is a MUST! Some lessons are hard learned, glad this one had a happy ending.
As far as what info to put on that collar, put your home phone, your cell phone and the words NEEDS MEDICATION. Although it is not a true statement, they are words of caution to any would be person thinking of keeping your pup rather then calling you. It puts a certain amount of responsibility on the Good Samaritan who 1) will NOT want a vet bill 2) will not want that dog to miss it's medication and possibly get sick on them :evil:
We have done this for years with ALL of our dogs. So far, only one has not made it home. She had been attacked and killed by coyotes but wouldnt you know it, 4 months after she disappeared a Good Sam found her carcass and fished that collar off to call....... :( At least we had closure.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 pm

I had been following this thread . Glad you got him ! :D

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Made my day to hear the good news. What a terrible feeling in the gut a lost dog is...... Congratulations on getting the pup back.

winchestermodel50

Post by winchestermodel50 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Say, that is an exceptionally nice looking young dog. What is his breeding?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Great news!!!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Congratulations. We have all been with you in spirit during your ordeal. Get a Garmin Astro.

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Great news,glad he's back home. Going to buy stock in Bass Pro prior to your purchase.
1. Garmin Astro
2. Tritonics E-collar
3. Dog collar
4.Check cord
5. Gift cards for all who helped

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Been watching this looking for that happy news since you posted. GREAT to hear ya found him! Lots of scratches and hugs to be given I'm sure!

Your story is EXACTLY why I offer to Chip all pups I sell, before they leave here and also why I do the prepaid Registrations, so they get chipped and registered before they ever leave my door. Unfortunately, even Microchips can not guarantee return, but it's a step in the right direction!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Awesome news!

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 pm

winchestermodel50 wrote:Say, that is an exceptionally nice looking young dog. What is his breeding?
his pedigree is at the bottom of my comment has a little clown, city slicker, and chisolm creeks down the line.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 pm

gsp3333 wrote:Great news,glad he's back home. Going to buy stock in Bass Pro prior to your purchase.
1. Garmin Astro
2. Tritonics E-collar
3. Dog collar
4.Check cord
5. Gift cards for all who helped
lol yea your exactly right my little bro was right beside me the whole time hardly sleeping and since he has a birthday coming up and i know hes been looking at a new bow i might have to hook him up and several others will be recieving early christmas gifts as well.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:41 pm

After seeing what he's out of, I understand why you lost him. You're gonna need the Garmin for sure, along with the e collar.
Nice pedigree!! Glad you got him back.

Doug

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Great news!! That darn sure made my day hearing this.
Willie Hunter

sully511

Post by sully511 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 pm

That's great news!! So happy for you!

WI_GSP_girl

Post by WI_GSP_girl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 am

Glad to hear you found your pup! I've been watching this thread just hoping the best for you. In 2006 my husband and I were newlyweds and purchased our first GSP. We were visting at my parent's house and Chloe took off out of the yard. Couldn't find our girl. About 15 minutes later I found her down the road about half a mile laying there dead. We figure she was probably chasing a bird or a bug or who knows what and she got hit by a vehicle. It was one of the most heartbreaking events we have been thru as a couple. She was only 11 months old. We miss her every day. We now have three GSP's, and we never, ever take our eyes off of them when they are out of the house, not even for 30 seconds. And they always have e-collars on too when outside. All it takes is the vibration mode and they come to us everytime. Love those dogs like children and will do anything to keep them safe!

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:42 am

Great to hear, I know theres alot of yotes and few cats to worry about up there.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 am

jimssetters wrote:Great to hear, I know theres alot of yotes and few cats to worry about up there.
ya sunday night the neighbor thought he heard a dog whining and coyotes yapping near his house, he runs hogs with his dogs so we sat out all night with his catch dogs running off the yotes and at one point he swore he seen my pup in the brush but i never did, we ended up finding him pretty close to that same spot and couldnt believe he didnt have a single scratch. i thank the good lord for bringing my pup back to me he sure had some help out there

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Found Dog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.