Freaking out, lost pup

MO_GSP

Freaking out, lost pup

Post by MO_GSP » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:27 am

Took my 10 month old pup out for a little run yesterday evening he slammed a real nice point then later disappeared in some thick cover never to be seen again. At first I wasn't worried he always comes back to the house but he never did! We looked and looked I tried laying down my shirt in hopes that he would return to it, but there was no sign of him finding it. I've talked to several neighbors and they are keeping an eye out but have not seen anything as of yet. Nobody has even caught a glimpse of him since. I'm officially freaking out didn't sleep a wink about to head back out with a couple friends looking from the fourwheelers. No I didn't have an ecollar on him nor is he microchipped and yea I am embarrassed and regretful for that. I'm afraid something terrible has happened or someone has picked him up already. Guess I'm just venting on here cause y'all will know how I feel or what I'm going through.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Freaking out, lost pup

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:42 am

Take another dog to the area. Follow his line of departure. He could be close, but hung up or down a hole. Be quiet so you can hear him. Call his name or whistle, but don't yell nonstop. Good luck.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:03 am

You can blanket the area. Leave flyers with your phone number with every resident of the area. Contact LEOs and animal rescue, vets offices in the area and check for rescues ( this could be touchy. Some don't believe in hunting). Time is the enemy. You want to contact as many as possible before someone either bonds with the dog or sends it to animal control. Good luck.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 am

List him with Joplin Humane. If you have a good picture, post it and I will send it through Arkansas GSP Rescue. They cover Missouri, also. If he shows up in a shelter, they can flag him. Let's get your dog back.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 am

My guess is he either got stuck somewhere like cajun said OR just wondered off with distractions and when he realized you werent around he was already lost.. going back to the area and letting everyone know hes missing is the best thing to do and its a great idea to bring another dog, if anyone can track where he may be its another dog..i started using GPS on both my dogs when a friend lost his EP..i hope you find him, good luck...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:21 am

My guess is a stupid whitetail.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:32 am

If I can help, I'd be willing to come down and look with you all.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Was the dog wearing an ID collar?
Cajun Casey wrote:My guess is a stupid whitetail.
That would be my first assumption as well.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

terrym

Post by terrym » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:22 pm

My guess is also a deer chase. Can cover alot of ground fast. Keep looking I bet he's looking too.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Lets us know updates!!!!

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Sorry to hear it, hope you find him soon. I never run mine without an astro collar on for this very reason. Lost my girl for about an hour, that's all it took for me to get an astro.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Someone mentioned on here before to leave an item of your clothing (hunting jacket) where he went missing and check back the next day, you might might to give that a try, I myself would use shoes because of the amount of scent. Wish you the best.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow, I cam only imagine what you're feeling right now. I hope it works out and you find your pup. Keep us posted.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Man, I hope you get him back safe and sound.

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Don't give up hope. I had a Male Setter go missing when we lived in the country and was doing some training. Three months, no kidding, 3 months later I got a call from someone 50 miles away and got him back. Lots of theories on where he was, but I did get him back. Good luck!

sully511

Post by sully511 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Make up lots of fliers with a color picture, description, your phone numbers and make sure it says reward on it too. Put those fliers up everywhere you're allowed, stores, telephone poles, police dept., road dept., vets, shelters, boarding kennels, groomers, pet stores, everywhere you can think of. Also put a lost ad on Craigslist for your area. Good luck and I hope he comes home safe and sound.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Go to the shelter every day - they are really a busy one (the Joplin one at least) and sometimes folks at the desk aren't really good about knowing breeds - even if they have a picture. Fliers everywhere right now! Most dogs are found within a mile of where they are lost. Also - talk to UPS/Fed Ex drivers in the area.

Good luck - just hit it really hard the next couple of days and you'll likely find the pup safe and sound.

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Also meant to mention that it can help to offer a reward. You never know when that can make the difference in someone making the call.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Yep Make flyers post every where in stores near where there are public phones, Go to some houses handing out a flyer with picture

Call all the rescues in your area including the animal controls every morning and evening.. as for any dogs that are close to coloring of your dog not just the breed also Vets..again the color description ...I had someone call me on a lost dog that had a microchip I had implanted Owner did not register the chip in their name anyway The lady who worked at a vets office said she had a cattle dog in their possession which they traced the chip back to me :roll: That red and white cattle dog she was describing was a purebred Brittany..I have seen GSP's described as Pit bull crosses,,why I say describe the coloring of the dog along with the breed

Good Luck..we also have had dogs return months later because of signs finally found to microchips being scanned and traced
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:53 pm

So sorry. I sure hope you find your pup. I do volunteer work at our local Humane Society and have seen a couple very happy reunions. I'll think positive thoughts for you.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 am

Take a flyer to the local mail carriers and to the school bus drivers in the area. Don't overlook any large animal vets either - someone I know had their dog returned after several months because a horse vet on a call recognized him.

Best of luck to you for a happy reunion.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 am

Don't give up on the clothing.

Lay dirty clothing just above the cover hanging. Put a few pieces out in a line, maybe a hundred yards apart..

Hope you find him.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for all the support and suggestions we have searched non stop had 10 ppl out on foot, horses, atvs yesterday. Laid clothes out in areas last seen, made fliers, posted on craigslist, taking out ads in 2 newspapers have included that I will give a large reward.(and I will!) just waning pup back. Talked to all neighbors and farmers in area. Someone mentioned rescues and humane societies I will be contacting them today if someone could help get me some contact info? Or website? I will post pics on here later if any sees or hears anything please pm me. He was last seen southwest of arcola, mo in dade county on Saturday the 10th around 6:40 pm. Solid liver head with mostly white and ticked body weighs about 43lbs not sure exactly how tall he stands(never measured) close to my knees I'm 5'10" if that helps
Once again thanks to everyone for the support, prayers, and advice!!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 am

Joplin Humane and Arkansas GSP Rescue are both on Facebook. You can "Like" their pages and post photos there.

This is a little off the wall, but are there any big kennels or volume breeder facilities in the area? He could be lurking around. There are wayward coonhounds show up all the time at my trainer's. They don't come into the yard, but they do hang around.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 am

If you send me a PM with the flier attached - or just send it to my work email egallagher@quailforever.org. I can send it out to my chapter contacts in the area as well as the MO Dept of Conservation folks in the area as well. There are quite a few folks who work in that area and they are dog lovers - so I'll send it on to them as well as the conservation agent in the area.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am

I don't have many pictures of him but heres a couple to help just in case, i have a couple more on my phne but cant get them to upload

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 am

Unless I missed it - post a "general/specific" area. I will cross post this for you on all the sites I frequent.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 am

roostersmom i sent you an email of the flier it has changed since I took his name off as i remember it being discussed on here before that most believe not to have names on id collars and such.
cajuncasey i contacted joplin humane and the gsp rescue, thanks for the help

if anyone else has any info please let me know i can email out fliers or photos to anyone just pm or reply thanks again!!!!!!!!

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 am

PntrRookie wrote:Unless I missed it - post a "general/specific" area. I will cross post this for you on all the sites I frequent.

I think you missed it or maybe i did, he was last seen southwest of arcola, mo in dade county about 2 miles south and 2 miles west of arcola about 1 mile north of the intersection of county roads 42 and 92 near wallens beefmaster farm more specifically in the pasture/hay fields west side county road 92

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:17 am

What is your contact info?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 am

Print up a flyer with a picture and your contact information. Go door to door in the area that he was last seen. LEOs, mail carriers, etc. anyone that drives the roads in the area.

Basically, you are trying to recruit as many eyes as possible in the area that spend a lot of time there.

I had something similar happen years ago when I was in TX. I talked to a neighbor. She talked to the postman. The postman had gotten the story about her from the owners of a Buck Stove store several miles away. By being persistent and following the "bread crumbs", I tracked her down.

Greg J.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 am

PntrRookie wrote:What is your contact info?
cell #4178308816
email gixxerhembree@yahoo.com

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:32 am

Sorry about your dog. You mite try Stockton or maybe Springfield, alot of traffic heading both ways if he made it to the highway.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

contacted springfield humane and cause for paws in stockton as well as put ads in the lamar, stockton, and greenfield newspapers. please help me spread the word down around jasper dont forget to mention i will pay a CASH REWARD for the return of my dog.
Thanks so much

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 pm

I had to go farm to farm to find my dog. I heard her barking and had to call the Police as the guy didn't want to give her to me.

It is time consuming but house to house may be needed.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:37 pm

More often than not, when a friend of mine has had their dog go missing for more than a couple hours, the dog had been found and picked up. It was either still at the house of the person that found it or at the local shelter.

Also, when scouting shelters, insist on going in and seeing the dogs yourself. One friend had called a shelter and they said they didn't have any vizslas. Later, they found the person that had found the dog, who said they had turned it in to that shelter. When they went down there, they had to practically force themselves into the back to see the dogs - and there she was. She had been classified as a pointer mix.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Hope you find your dog. I know what's it's like. I lost a dog in the White Mountains for two days at a trial during a very bad storm. Tracking collar wouldn't work with the storm conditions. They came into came and said they followed him from outside of Big Lake back to the trial ground and found him on point. But young dogs freak out and don't know how to handle the situations. I will never turn a big dog or a young one loose without a tracking collar. Never. It's a small price to pay if it means not loosing a pet.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Good luck in your search. I feel your pain. Lost my GSP in OK the day I bought him. Never got him back. Pretty sure he ended up with the coyotes. My suggestion is once he is back. Straight to the vet ID'd and GPS collar. Had a friend that put it on and was able to find the dog at the house of the guy that picked him up. It took the county troopers to get it but he was successful. Nobody should have to loose a pup. I hope all works out. Keep us posted.

Joe

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Keep the faith. I had one go missing at about the same age. She was gone for a solid week, self hunting. Finally came in to people when she was tired and hungry enough. She had jumped into the cab of a pick up truck that was similar to mine through the open REAR slider cab window and growled at the guy the next morning when he went to start his truck to go to work. He recognized her from the million fliers we had up all over town and called. He eventually enticed her out of his truck with a plateful of bacon....
Keep the faith!

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Had my dog fall in a man hole, and I did not find him for 2 days. Best of luck, hope you get him home!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:03 am

I lost my 9 mo GSP a couple of years ago up hunting grouse on the National Forest. I left her travel kennel and some food and when I got back the next day she was in it.

MO_GSP

Re: Freaking out, lost pup. FOUND!!!!

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:21 am

We spotted him this morning about 800 yards away near some thick cover luckily my little brother was with me and being one year removed from an all state football and track star he just took off and was able to run him down. We found him within a half mile of where he was last seen. Major thanks to everyone involved had a lot of family, friends, and neighbors helping out as well as several of y'all on here giving advice, encouragement, and prayers!
P.S. Making trip to the vet tomorrow getting chipped and will be stopping at bass pro for a collar what are your suggestions for a good collar?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 am

GREAT NEWS!

I like the vinyl collars. They clean up easy. Get a brass name tag riveted to it...don't rely on a tag attached with a split ring.

Greg J.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 am

Great news! I've been biting my nails following this thread. Glad to hear you got your pup back!

Tim

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 am

So Glad to here you got him back. Sounds like that dog may have been still looking for you as well. Big relief and just made my day a little brighter to hear of your good fortune.

I got a Sport Dog HD 1825 which is good so far.
As you know GArmin has the GPS tracker.
Sport Dog has new Tracker Trainer. Is interesting to me to some degree.http://www.gundogsupply.com/sportdog-collars.html

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 am

Finally!!!!! I've been waiting for that post. Great news!!!!!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 am

WhooHoo!!!!

We use the neon collars with the stamped plates rivited on.

Glad he is home.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 am

Really good news!

Chip is good.

Garmin tracker is a wonderful tool and worth every penny. I am sure you would have paid the price to get your dog back!

My dog ran off once when it was a pup. I always place a bowel of water down by the truck before setting out to hunt. He made it back to the truck before me and was drink water when in spotted him:D Don't always assume you are smarter than your dog :roll:

Good hunting!

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:51 am

Great news!!!!!!!!!

This is what I have put on all my dogs collars.

"Micro chipped"
Phone numbers
Rewards

I put micro chipped because with the company that you chip the dog with you can list a ton of phone numbers. SO I know if I cant be reached someone close to me will be. Or if a number has changed etc.

Have the chip checked everytime you take it to the vet.
My imported pup was chipped at 6 weeks in Germany. That chip has now migrated to his ribcage!
I had him re chipped at 10 weeks because the local vets didnt have the right scanner to read his german chip. That chip has stayed in place. But I have both chips checked every vet visit!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:53 am

I am so glad that you found the pup.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.