Vomitting?

isonychia

Vomitting?

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Would post in health/nutrition but I thought this a more immediate outlet. I tried changing my dog (gradually) over to taste of the wild from solid gold (due to gas and soft stools / diarrhea) anyways he vomited it up and then ate it again. Now he has been vomiting for about an hour and some dry/heaving and mucus vomits. Is this an allergic reaction to the new food or should I just slow down the introduction (I started with 1/3 new food)? Should I try again tomorrow? He usually just throws up once or twice and its done, but this has carried on for a little while.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Vomitting?

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 pm

I would bet it has nothing to do with the food. If he's still throwing up it is time to see the vet. He may have swallowed a foreign object.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:29 pm

I agree. I have never had a dog throw up due to food. it was something else that didn't settle. Unfortunately, get him to a vet.

Joe

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 pm

he has chilled out for the moment, and he just took a fresh BM this afternoon. I'll be keeping my eye on him, it probably didn't help that he re-ate what he threw up.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 pm

i'll note that today was the first day he got this new food and threw up an hour after eating it, he re-ate it, and then had a big throwup fit for the next 30 minutes, he seems to have gotten it all out now though, if he starts up again i'll take him to the vet in the morning.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Another note, My EP had a problem with high protein food. I had to settle for a lower protein food. She wasn't allergic just couldn't handle the protein. Make sure it isn't a protein issue.

Joe

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Just took him on a walk and he had one bout of watery diarrhea, making me even more suspicious of food and less of blockage. Either way I've got tentative plans to see the vet in the morning depending on how he does with breakfast. $500 in the savings account is a scary thing when you have a sick pet.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:13 am

isonychia wrote:Would post in health/nutrition but I thought this a more immediate outlet. I tried changing my dog (gradually) over to taste of the wild from solid gold (due to gas and soft stools / diarrhea) anyways he vomited it up and then ate it again. Now he has been vomiting for about an hour and some dry/heaving and mucus vomits. Is this an allergic reaction to the new food or should I just slow down the introduction (I started with 1/3 new food)? Should I try again tomorrow? He usually just throws up once or twice and its done, but this has carried on for a little while.
In your original post here you said you switched him over because of gas, soft stool and diarrhea because of the food (solid gold) maybe you thought it was the food but more issues are going on here?? if you have been seeing these issues for a while and felt switching him thinking it would help but it hasnt i would cut all food out for a full 24 hours to give his system a chance to clean out and rest, then intro very small amounts of food when the diarrhea stops..i would also consult the vet, express your concerns on the phone, even if you have to call a few different vets, that way its free advice and you can get an idea if they think you should bring him in based on what you tell them, yes that way it will save you money but if this has been going on long enough i would get him to the vet and ask to work out a payment plan so its not a hard hit all at once..good luck..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:41 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
isonychia wrote:Would post in health/nutrition but I thought this a more immediate outlet. I tried changing my dog (gradually) over to taste of the wild from solid gold (due to gas and soft stools / diarrhea) anyways he vomited it up and then ate it again. Now he has been vomiting for about an hour and some dry/heaving and mucus vomits. Is this an allergic reaction to the new food or should I just slow down the introduction (I started with 1/3 new food)? Should I try again tomorrow? He usually just throws up once or twice and its done, but this has carried on for a little while.
In your original post here you said you switched him over because of gas, soft stool and diarrhea because of the food (solid gold) maybe you thought it was the food but more issues are going on here?? if you have been seeing these issues for a while and felt switching him thinking it would help but it hasnt i would cut all food out for a full 24 hours to give his system a chance to clean out and rest, then intro very small amounts of food when the diarrhea stops..i would also consult the vet, express your concerns on the phone, even if you have to call a few different vets, that way its free advice and you can get an idea if they think you should bring him in based on what you tell them, yes that way it will save you money but if this has been going on long enough i would get him to the vet and ask to work out a payment plan so its not a hard hit all at once..good luck..ruth
His normal average stools used to be pretty solid, only sometimes were they fairly soft and generally after a lot of exercise, it was mostly for the gas that I was switching over. I did see my vet about his stomach in the past. Anyways he seems great this morning and I just fed him some of his normal solid gold, see how it goes. Need to give him his heart worm meds tonight :roll:

gdog

Post by gdog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 am

I have a dog now that cannot stomach Pro Plan Performance All Life Stages. It's not the protein level in my dog since she does just fine with same %'s in other brands. I would feed her the PP and within 30 mins she would be throwing up and continue to throw up for a while. Discontinue feeding PP...no problems. Does take her a few days to get system back to normal. Went to vet during our last episode and they could not find anything wrong with her otherwise.PP is the only food I have had this happen with this dog. Not knocking PP since I've had other dogs do great on it.....just doesnt sit well with this specific dog(?)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 am

gdog wrote:I have a dog now that cannot stomach Pro Plan Performance All Life Stages. It's not the protein level in my dog since she does just fine with same %'s in other brands. I would feed her the PP and within 30 mins she would be throwing up and continue to throw up for a while. Discontinue feeding PP...no problems. Does take her a few days to get system back to normal. Went to vet during our last episode and they could not find anything wrong with her otherwise.PP is the only food I have had this happen with this dog. Not knocking PP since I've had other dogs do great on it.....just doesnt sit well with this specific dog(?)
That's interesting, my bet is some allergy, I am going to be hesitant to try feeding him this new stuff again but i'll try a smaller amount tomorrow after I get his heart worm meds down, he seems much better today, only slightly less energized, going to come and check on him during lunch

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 am

I don't think the protein level would have a thing to do with the stomach though it would change the condition of the excrement. It would take a lot of feed test to find what was really going on and I am sure it wouldn't be worth it for the one dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 am

OI am not saying this is the cure to keep him away from the vet.
But when all possibilties of a serious problem are ruled out. Try boiling cheap ground beef and rice for your dog. Switch over to this for a while and see how good the results are. I was very pleased.
Also brown rice is better than white. Chicken can be substituted for ground beef. No cooked chicken bones to be fed. Maintan proper weight by adjusting the fat percentage of the meat. I like to add garlic and a fish oil capsule

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 am

When my dog has a problem with being sick or I'm changing her food I will put her on chicken and rice for a few days. Then slowly start to add her new food. Haven't tried beef and rice but will in the future.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 am

Never had a problem but I cut them back on feed and then bring them back up to the normal level.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:13 am

Hundnflocken, 10% fat, TOTW, 18% fat. I would expect some hurling even at a 1:2 ratio. Solid Gold has always been a difficult food to transition from. Funny thing, Diamond produces both brands, but Solid Gold's formulas are tweaky.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 am

isonychia wrote:he has chilled out for the moment, and he just took a fresh BM this afternoon. I'll be keeping my eye on him, it probably didn't help that he re-ate what he threw up.
That doesn't affect a dog . It's been going on since Old Testament days... "As a dog returns to its vomit so do ................"
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Hundnflocken, 10% fat, TOTW, 18% fat. I would expect some hurling even at a 1:2 ratio. Solid Gold has always been a difficult food to transition from. Funny thing, Diamond produces both brands, but Solid Gold's formulas are tweaky.
I didn't even look at the difference in fat content, only protein. This is reassuring to know, I'll start again tomorrow with just a few kibbles and work up. It was very easy to go from purina pro plan to solid gold.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 pm

isonychia wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Hundnflocken, 10% fat, TOTW, 18% fat. I would expect some hurling even at a 1:2 ratio. Solid Gold has always been a difficult food to transition from. Funny thing, Diamond produces both brands, but Solid Gold's formulas are tweaky.
I didn't even look at the difference in fat content, only protein. This is reassuring to know, I'll start again tomorrow with just a few kibbles and work up. It was very easy to go from purina pro plan to solid gold.
Which TOTW are you using?

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
isonychia wrote:
Which TOTW are you using?
I was trying out the sierra canine with roasted lamb, it is 25% prot and 15% fat for "all life stages" These kibbles are small though, I liked the solid gold ones cause they were big and slowed my dog's eating down. He is doing much better now and back at pawing under the dog food closet for loose kibbles hahah.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Cool. The bag I looked at was High Prairie. Lamb is as close to low fat as TTOW is going to get. He should adjust shortly.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:55 pm

We have a pointer that inhales his food and then will throw it up

Not only that when he inhales and tosses he will not maintain weight

So I put his food on a large cookie sheet that has a lip on it and spread the food out..forcing hm to slow down and he stopped throwing up and he started to keep his weight better

Might try that also ...if he scarfs food down real fast take the food and put out 1/4th of it on a cookie sheet when the dog is done with that give a few minutes and then put out a bit more and then a bit more till done

pretty much it won't matter what you feed if he doesn't change the way he eats

and as for those high dollar bowls to slow eating I watch the pointer figure them out quickly and inhale just as fast with them or trying to put big rocks and stuff he would just nudge them out..cookie sheet was cheaper and more effective
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:01 pm

kninebirddog wrote:We have a pointer that inhales his food and then will throw it up

Not only that when he inhales and tosses he will not maintain weight

So I put his food on a large cookie sheet that has a lip on it and spread the food out..forcing hm to slow down and he stopped throwing up and he started to keep his weight better

Might try that also ...if he scarfs food down real fast take the food and put out 1/4th of it on a cookie sheet when the dog is done with that give a few minutes and then put out a bit more and then a bit more till done

pretty much it won't matter what you feed if he doesn't change the way he eats

and as for those high dollar bowls to slow eating I watch the pointer figure them out quickly and inhale just as fast with them or trying to put big rocks and stuff he would just nudge them out..cookie sheet was cheaper and more effective
I used to just throw his food out all over the floor and that did the trick. Then I was on a science field crew with shared housing so I got one of those $8 slow down bowls. Worked OK but it was a little too small. He has actually slowed down a lot recently and actually eats less in the morning now so I think the smaller kibbles will be ok. He used to choke on his food about once a day, now he has only done it once in the past week. Still scares the &*^% out of me and I watch him eat in case I have to give the Heimlich