Whats the best beginner duck call for a budget?

Ranger351

Whats the best beginner duck call for a budget?

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am

Just like it says looking to buy someone a new duck call. They already have the double nasty2 so just looking to get something different to add to the collection. They are a beginner so not looking to spend 150 bucks.

quackaddict

Re: Whats the best beginner duck call for a budget?

Post by quackaddict » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:51 am

A Haydel's DR-85 or DRS-88. They have probably called more ducks than any others in the world, and they Re less than 20 bucks a piece.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

Suds77

Post by Suds77 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Okay honestly for me the most recent duck call purchases that have been for the budget have been made by the Duck Commander. I like these calls because they are easy to use and easy to clean.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:04 pm

i like the shaker call . can't mess up just shake it

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:15 pm

I have more success with not calling in late season. The time ducks get to Arkansas, they have heard all kinds of duck calls. Sometimes being quite and letting em work the decoys works. In early season, I use a $50 Echo call, and it seems to pull em in well. My wife uses a Echo Call that was about $50 from macs prairie wings, and it seems to work well.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:I have more success with not calling in late season. The time ducks get to Arkansas, they have heard all kinds of duck calls. Sometimes being quite and letting em work the decoys works. In early season, I use a $50 Echo call, and it seems to pull em in well. My wife uses a Echo Call that was about $50 from macs prairie wings, and it seems to work well.

Duck commander and Yantzen,

the ducks are really educated by the time they get to south Louisiana!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I would suggest trying to get to a show, waterfowl show specifically , where you can try out many and talk to pro's about them.

That said you can't go too wrong buying some cheapo's and learning then deciding if a higher end call is worth getting. I like Buck Gardners cheaper poly calls. I blow R-n-T acrylic calls.

PS. Another real good poly call that I use alot is a zink ph2, really like this call .....almost forgot to mention it.
Last edited by birddog1968 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:06 pm

If they're beginners, just make sure to get a double reed call. They're much easier to learn on(and most of them sound more like an actual duck).
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 pm

I like fowlmouth II its a double reed, blows real nice high balls and call backs and for close working i like my bigriver its a wood double reed, i have a bunch of calls but those i prefer, i think i paid 30 bucks a piece? was a while ago....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)