NEW SD collar replacement also dysfunctional

isonychia

NEW SD collar replacement also dysfunctional

Post by isonychia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I don't know if any of you saw my previous post on "that answers a lot of questions" but my sport dog sd 1825 collar was dysfunctional (1/20th of range). Well I got a new one 2nd dayed here for hunting this weekend and got it today. Well! The new one won't allow me to select the mode I wish to use for the button configuration. When I select the supposed mode, all the button functions are continuous stimulation. The mode I want is the ONLY one that doesn't work, so i called SD back and they are sending me a new remote (waiving the expedited shipping charges :roll: ) that should get here on SAT. That's 2 dysfunctional units in a ROW! Never again! Can't wait to save up for a tri tronics... still thats $300 that could have been saved towards an O/U, live and learn i guess. Cutting in to my hunting weekend not having a collar, good thing the weather isn't supposed to be good.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: NEW SD collar replacement also dysfunctional

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:50 pm

They had some older models that did the same thing right out of the box only worked 25 feet if that.
That was when I went back to tri tronics for good..as my one TT had out lasted 3 other collar companies ..I mean I understand an issue or two but Rick had given me 10 collars to sell for him 3 came back and the number wore off on mine so they sent me a new one and it also wouldn't work more then 25 feet freshly charged.

But they do have great customer service :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Do you taste that? Its kind of a bad taste... right there in my mouth.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm

I had problems with my SD too. I thought the new dog was running through the stimulation but found out that the collar didn't work at more distance than 15 feet.
Never bothered to send it back - lesson learned to stick with TT (who by the way also had excellent customer service for the rare times I needed it.)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I went through three DT's and two Sport Dog's before switching to TT. It would have been a lot cheaper to go wit TT to begin with but I guess we pay for the education.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:21 pm

We have newbies here everyday that have to learn the hard way after being forwarned.Hard to help some :idea:

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Its a tough call when there are so many good reviews of SD collars on gundogsupply

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 pm

How long have you had it?

Britguy1

Post by Britguy1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:18 pm

I've got a SD 1825 and it works fine. Years ago, I had problem after problem with Innotek collars. I finally gave up and went to Tri Tronics. It was huge and wouldn't hold a charge. I guess the lesson is that all electronics can fail. You can have a bad batch or whatever. :?:
A bad day in the field is just a bad day.
A great day in the field is heaven

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Britguy I agree with you to some degree.The innotechs were junk but every now & then some one got a good one & loved it.The point is though would you rather have 1 in a hundred good or 1 in a hundred bad??
The fact is most NOT ALL start out with something other then a TT but end up with the TT or wish they had a TT.But like I said not all.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Tri-Tronics did have some problems with their collars holding a charge several years ago. I had problems with mine, and never got it to hold a charge, even after it was repaired twice. I bought a Dogtra collar after that. I worked great and was reliable, but I didn’t like it for training as well as the Tri-tronics collars. When Tri-Tronics resolved their charging problem, I bought a new one, and have been with them ever since.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 am

I was on the phone with sportdog the other day for an upgrade of the petsafe junk i ended up with. Petsafe and sportdog are sister companies. I have the dogtra launchers so far so good. I have a dt 2420 so far so good also. But i don't like the fact that it is made in a country known for cheap junk

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:18 am

Get you a DT, I've had mine for 5 years and the only thing I had to do was order a new charger connection thingy. It's been in water a lot, it holds a charge, it works at over half a mile....i love it.

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:31 am

Maybee next time you buy American made first.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:41 am

southwayno wrote:Maybee next time you buy American made first.
because that's a guarantee that it will work. :roll:

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 am

I didn't know that we still made anything? I though all we did was borrow money from china so we could buy more stuff from china. :roll:

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:42 am

I would love to but many times its impossible to tell until you tear open the plastic,then open the box, then open the hardcase, then you see the made in korea tag. The other day I bought something that had an American flag on both top corners of the label when i got home and read the fine print Designed in the USA manufactured in china. :x

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:06 am

isonychia wrote:Its a tough call when there are so many good reviews of SD collars on gundogsupply
Well if I was wanting to selling them I would only put good reviews also.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:34 am

Pineywoods wrote:
isonychia wrote:Its a tough call when there are so many good reviews of SD collars on gundogsupply
Well if I was wanting to selling them I would only put good reviews also.
Some edit there reviews, some don't. If you go a Sears website, if a product is crap you will know about it.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 am

Holy mother! The 2nd replacement had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM AS THE 1st. I can't believe these people are still in business, I tried to get a refund but only more product replacements, this time a new "kit" Aparently they were sending me refurbished units. Why on earth would you send a refurbished unit out on a warranty replacement. ALSO MORE IMPORTANTLY WHY would you not TEST the COMPLETE FUNCTIONALITY of a newly refurbished ITEM! Unfortunately I am stuck using this product for a while, but I'de rather it the TT basic with only .5 a mile range and no vibrate function that actually works! Would like TT classic 70 though.... If the next product doesn't work I am going to report SD to BBB. 4 out of 4 means you don't make products that work... in fact I argue that 3 out of 3 does.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Don't get too riled up as the same thing might happen with the next brand you try. I do find some brands do more than others but have not seen a big difference in workmanship or quality of the equipment. And in talking to the people at collar clinic who do the repairs on all of them they will tell you the same thing. They like the other brands better than the Sport dog because of their features and did say they have less repairs and problems with the Dogtra collars than they do with all of the other brands there are still some that just don't work. Agreed 3 or 4 in a row is too much but it might happen with any brand. Get mad at Sport dog but don't bet the farm that Brand X is going always going to work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

My 4th collar, now coming as a brand new set, was recieved today... still doesn't configure to program 1 with toggle switch down to achieve vibrate, momentary, continuous buttons.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:16 pm

Turns out that they changed the program setup without changing the mode chart in the pamplets, online, or even telling the customer service reps, so the past 2 products plus the current one worked fine, but no one knew it. LOL Either way I the mode I wanted is the only one that they changed, after studying the chart for awhile I found a 1 dog mode that will serve a similar purpose. Jeez!