Pup Testing NA This Sunday, First time Handler..

Red

Pup Testing NA This Sunday, First time Handler..

Post by Red » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm testing in at Rock Tavern Chapter (NY) this Sunday, what do I need to know, any tips? I was a cool kat a few days ago but now getting very nervous.. :lol:

Pup holds his points, loves the water, have done a few tracks with him and did great...

The only thing that might give me trouble is cooperation, he recalls great at home but not so good in the field.. :wink:

Thanks guys...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup Testing NA This Sunday, First time Handler..

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 pm

my only advice is just have fun and your pup will too, all his natural abilities will get him threw all the parts of the test and it will go great :D good luck...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm

I had to just about tackle my dog to get him back at his NA and he got a pz 1 BUT he turned and changed directions on command and stopped and watched for me while he was hunting. They knocked a bit off for the return but his search was SO good he ended up fine.
Good Luck :D

steamer

Post by steamer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:40 pm

listen to the judges they will help you . dont give a command in the field test if you know he is going to blow you off just let him roll. make sure you take water with you on the field part. keep him calm before the track and start him down wind of the feather pile. as soon as you throw the first dummy and your dog is swimming pick up another one this should help him come back and not play keep away . do it again on the second one . as soon as he brings the second one back leash him up . most important have lots of fun and learn all you can from the judges. good luck.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Glad to read the info, will be doing the same in a month.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Good Luck.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 pm

For an NA test, less is usually better than more in terms of verbal commands. You received sound advice above, in regards to avoiding issuing commands that might not be obeyed. Listen to your judges, and make sure they know you are a first-timer so that they steer you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Watch the dogs that run before you, as you'll learn a lot that way. Biggest handling challenge is probably getting your dog completely focused on the feather pile before releasing him or her for the track. Watch your dog when you approach the start of the track, and if he is pulling away in the wrong direction, circle him around until you get his attention focused in the direction you want him to go. We ran tracks last week very close to the bird field the dogs had run for the field portion of the test, and several dogs spun around at the start of their track and headed out into the bird field, where they had found chukar earlier in the day. Grab the collar underhand, lead the dog to the downwind side of the feather pile, wait until it acknowledges the feathers and is fixated on it, then take push the dog out onto the track with a bowling ball swing. Give him a "dead bird" or "fetch" command, whichever you've used thus far, then stand tall and stare in the direction that the judges told you the bird went, and don't vary your gaze even if the dog leaves the track. Be patient, as he can doodle around for a minute or two, then return to the track, and still get a good score.

Main thing is to relax as much as possible and have fun. If you get too tense, your dog might react unfavorably. Most of your score will come from the dog's breeding and the exposure you've given it over the past few months. Good luck!

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 am

I also have a NA test coming up this weekend. Being a new owner/handler I appreciate the great responses.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

Some GREAT advice, thanks so much...

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 am

Boss is going to do well! You spent plenty of time working with him and he has an amazing nose. When you get to Rock Tavern the judges will go over everything with you in the morning and don't be surprised if Bob has last minutes pointers for you. You guys will do great! Jimmy and I are hoping to be there to show some support to you and the rest of the gang. :)
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

Red

Post by Red » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks Robyn, Jim had a a few pointers for me this past weekend, hope to see you guys there...