GSP/DK Spots

bigmike86

GSP/DK Spots

Post by bigmike86 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 am

Do GSPs spots change as they get older? Like if they are a dirty grey color do they get bigger and become more distinct, or does it just stay that way?
On to force fetch.....oh boy...

MOOSE

Re: GSP/DK Spots

Post by MOOSE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:26 am

I have noticed with my GSP's they tend to darken til they are about 1-2 years old. But the ones that are more white based tend to show their ticking by the year mark.

Hope that helps!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 am

That "dirty gray" appearance is roan. More distinct spots is ticked. The two kind of overlap sometimes, but there sbould be no distinct white spots at all in a true roan. Dogs darken as they reach adulthood, so roan dogs will not develop more distinct markings. Little puppies are hard to define. What looks like roan at 8 weeks may develop more distinct specks and truly be ticked.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Gunny's ticking has both darkened and become more distinct.

8 weeks old

Just the other weekend - 17months
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm

I think you will find they darken or lighten depending on the time of year due to sunlight and shedding.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:56 am

ezzy333 wrote:I think you will find they darken or lighten depending on the time of year due to sunlight and shedding.

Ezzy

I may be the minority here but in the 6 years we have had GSP's not one had changed darkness due to the time of year and the sun or shedding. The only time I have seen that be the case is if you have a dog that is outside ALL the time then they might bleach out. But this doesn't actually change the base coat color. It is just as a sun bleaching thing. For those that are indoor dogs you will not see any difference. IMO.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:36 am

MOOSE wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I think you will find they darken or lighten depending on the time of year due to sunlight and shedding.

Ezzy

I may be the minority here but in the 6 years we have had GSP's not one had changed darkness due to the time of year and the sun or shedding. The only time I have seen that be the case is if you have a dog that is outside ALL the time then they might bleach out. But this doesn't actually change the base coat color. It is just as a sun bleaching thing. For those that are indoor dogs you will not see any difference. IMO.
This is correct. I have seen "bleaching" from the sun but no change in the white/color hair distribution from environment. Some shorthairs have an undercoat which may give them a slightly grayer appearance in the winter, but, again, it does not affect the pattern.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:52 pm

My post I think answered what was asked at least partially. The color does change during the year though the size of the spots do not but all I addressed was the color change. The biggest noticable difference is when they shed the dead winter coat and the new summer coat becomes visible. But light of any kind lightens the coat from spring on towards winter and light plus the age of the coat makes a big difference before they shed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:52 pm

They get MORE of the "ticking" (spots) as they age for years. Sometimes still darkening a bit at 3 and 4 years old. The large patches they are born with and do not change.