Check out my new pup!

bigmike86

Check out my new pup!

Post by bigmike86 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:28 am

So it all happened real fast, what started out as planning for a new pup in march ended up with my wife and I driving home from some random town in Germany with a beautiful new DK in our back seat. He is by far the smartest puppy I have ever had and I am excited to have him as my new hunting buddy. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On to force fetch.....oh boy...

Meller

Re: Check out my new pup!

Post by Meller » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am

Nice looking pup; enjoy. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:49 am

Wow. that sure reminds me of the coloring 0n my old GSP I had in the 80s., Enjoy your new pup. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Congrats! He is a nice looking boy, looks like he has some paws to grow into :)

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Great looking dog. I wonder if his coat is going to darken up a little? I love those really dark GWPS! How old is he? Congrats!
Tim

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Nice looking pup! I spent three years in Germany in the service, Bavaria was great. what's a mark worth now? It was a quarter when I was there. Does your wife know about that girl in your avatar? :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

bigmike86

Post by bigmike86 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Well they are on the Euro right now, and it is still beating the dollar unfortunately. And she does NOT know about her so shhhhh!!!!!!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Nice pup!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Beautiful pup. Have fun!
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Great looking DK

iowahntr4

Post by iowahntr4 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Congrats! Beautiful pup!

Vision

Post by Vision » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Where and what will you be hunting. I have spent a few weeks in Germany and Holland (not in the tourist traps) and wondered about the bird hunting? I did see a pheasant fly across a road one time driving.

bigmike86

Post by bigmike86 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:19 am

Well it would be tough for me to actually hunt over here, the hunters safety course is a few months and a few thousand euro. Also they are not too big on birds in my area. My plan right now is to get in good with the local DK club (hoping at least one of them speaks english) and train for solms and derby next year. Then we will PCS back to the states and start hunting heavily on those birds.

I am thinking that training for the solms and derby will bring out his raw instincts and talents and build an all around solid foundation for his first bird hunting season a year from now, because even though I haven't met anyone that hunts birds the fact that they are a part of those breed tests gives me the opportunity to train him on birds.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 am

beautiful pup, if you dont mind who is he out of? if you do your derby and solms in germany you may see a difference here in the states (the way they judge and score) best of luck and fun with your pup! where will you be when you come home,there are quite a few nadkc clubs around

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 am

That is a nice looking pup. What a great way to get a DK, right out of it's own country. How will transport back to US work. Lots of paperwork? The dark brown dog, Zelda, in my sig is a DK with a lot of Hege Haus in her background. She has proven to be quite the dog. I little more stubborn than the GSP but very smart and very hunt/search driven.
If you don't mind my asking what did he cost in US Dollars over there? What kind of health guarantees? if any?

bigmike86

Post by bigmike86 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:57 am

He came from a breeder called vom Schwiechenbach. We got him for a little cheaper than average, 550 Eur, as opposed to the normal 750. His mothers test scores apparently werent the best (thats coming from competing breeders) but I went and saw her and was convinced that her pups would be good enough for my first bird dog. And by the way in US dollars that would be about $760 (Divide eur amount by .72, which is the x rate right now).

The breeder spoke very little english and I speak only a bit of german so I am still trying to find out what health garuntee there is, but he is already a part of our family so we will take care of him for better or worse! And his pedigree records were good so I wasnt too worried about it.

It will be easy to take him back since we are here under the SOFA (status of forces agreement). The only paperwork we will have to do is to apply to breed him outside of Germany, and I am told this will be easy with a small fee. Hopefully by the time we leave (about a year) i will know if he has good breeding potential. But for now we are going to keep him intact.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 am

Somehow when I was there I didn't speak much german either but was able to communitate. Do they still have the oil or gas water heater's there? First place we had to carry up oil a gallon at a time to heat water. Last place had a box we put marks into for how ever much time we wanted water.

You guy's been to the church on Worms. Really a beautiful place. Marten Luther's house is there and was completely restored. It where he got thrown out of the church. Also was able to go into Hitler's bunkers when we were there but I heard they are sealed off now. Didn't make it up to the Crows Nest. The Castile in Hidelburd was great. All completey restored and every 4th of July they'd hace a burning of the castle after dark. Whole castle lit up in red light and a super fireworks display. I don't remember just where it was, near Sembach, was Frankstien's castle. Just a ruin and the dungons all sealed off. But a neat place and once a year they put on a play there. Riding around outside Sembach, we found a grave year full of Natiz graves and hemlumt's on the crosses. I really liked Germany.

See all you can and Have fun,
Don

Forgot to ask. Do the German bakery's still make great bread? My wife would eat the crust off it on the way home. GHreat stuff but got stale in just a couple days.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

sdpowskier

Post by sdpowskier » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:58 am

Great looking dog. I worked in Garmisch for a couple of winters as a ski instructor, beautiful country. I didn't speak any German either, but I was 21 and only needed to know one important word "Bier" :D

What about the Czech Republic for hunting? Is it any easier? Seemed like they might be more accommodating when I was there.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Nice pup you have there. Thanks for your service also. My nephew just got out of the marines, he was over there in Iraq and Afgan. Have fun with that one, she is a keeper.

P.S. get the FCI reg so you can cross reg her in AKC when you get back here.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

oxnam

Post by oxnam » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

I really like his coloring. Great looking dog.