Pointing Labs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Pointing Labs

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:32 am

Ok, I got myself in the middle of a friend's domestic dispute. She wants a Lab as a family dog and he wants a good upland dog, so I suggested at Pointing Lab.

My question is, which breeder is know for the healthiest dogs.

At this point I don't think she is aware that a Lab like this is not the gimpy Basset Hound type you see at kids soccer games.

That is the next battle.

So which breeders are known for soundness?

PointingQuail

Re: Pointing Labs

Post by PointingQuail » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:48 am

I got my pointing lab from Tiger Mountain Pointing Labs. He's the one in my avatar. I did tons of research and always found myself coming back to tiger mountain. They are located in Ellensburg, Washington. I am in arizona and they shipped they pup and the whole process was very easy on my end. They offered to have me come out but I couldn't make it work. My pup is a little over a year old now and as been amazing in the field and in the house. The best part about Tiger Mountain that sealed the deal for me is that they guarantee your pup will point. I know they can't know for sure at 7 weeks but if your pup is having trouble locking up on birds they will train him/her for free until the dog does. As far as house behavior is concerned, that is usually a matter of obedience training from a young age and labs are some of the best when it comes to basic obedience. In my opinion. I know I sound like a testimonial for this kennel but I have been very pleases with my pup.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am

I've hunted behind some great pheasant and grouse labs (non pointing.) It's all a matter of hunting style preference I suppose. My point is, just because it's not a pointer doesn't mean he can't have a great upland hunting dog. Obviously a pointer is ideal for shooting birds in coveys, but if he's not hunting species like that a ton, why not a lab? Flushing dogs can be really exciting to hunt behind, especially for pheasant in thick knee high grass. You get to watch the dog get more and more birdie and see his tail start to blur because it's spinning so fast. It's a fun way to hunt. I'd say the fact that his wife wants a lab is a win win right there! Could be worse! She could want a bichon..

Tim

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 am

Trieven/sungold kennels are well known, also Sauk River Labradors seem to have a following.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:41 am

birddog1968 wrote:Trieven/sungold kennels are well known, also Sauk River Labradors seem to have a following.
Great looking lab in your avatar. Is that a pointing lab?

Tim

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 am

DogNewbie wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Trieven/sungold kennels are well known, also Sauk River Labradors seem to have a following.

Tim
Yeah, it's one of the white almost silver ones that have just been developed. (Look a little more closely at the tail - not to mention the ears, the muzzle, the uh, well, you get the picture that it's a pointer without any Lab a'tall.)

McB, presuming proximity of your friend, what species are there to be "pointed" by a Lab in your vicinity?

On the other hand, there are plenty of birds around for "pointing" them toward delivery starting at about 9 weeks old

MG

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 am

crackerd wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:

Tim
Yeah, it's one of the white almost silver ones that have just been developed. (Look a little more closely at the tail - not to mention the ears, the muzzle, the uh, well, you get the picture that it's a pointer without any Lab a'tall.)

MG
What do you mean by "just been developed?" Have these dogs been cross breed with an actual pointer? Or do you mean that through multiple generations they've finally brought out the desired characteristics of the lab? I think you meant the latter so I'm also going to ask, what are the desired characteristics of a pointing lab versus a flushing lab? (besides the obvious answer that one points. I'm talking physical and personality characteristics.)

Tim

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am

I had one of those white labs 40 years ago. That was the going thing back then especially in the show world. She was a good one. Just showed yellow on the tip of her ears and tail. But she wasn't a pointer.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am

DogNewbie wrote:

Tim
See crackerd, it is a pointer.....

I do have a lab that happens to point pretty nicely although he didn't come from a PL breeding.

And no a lab that points is not a lab crossed with anything, at least not in the last 100+ years. About 10 percent of labs will show point of varying degrees , some folks are breeding those animals that are predisposed to point birds. Some are just sticky flushers but some have it as honestly as any pointing dog.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 am

Tim[/quote]

MG[/quote]

What do you mean by "just been developed?" Have these dogs been cross breed with an actual pointer? Or do you mean that through multiple generations they've finally brought out the desired characteristics of the lab? I think you meant the latter so I'm also going to ask, what are the desired characteristics of a pointing lab versus a flushing lab? (besides the obvious answer that one points. I'm talking physical and personality characteristics.)

Tim[/quote]
I can't tell if you're joking or serious!! :lol: :mrgreen: It's a pointer in the avatar not a lab...he was messing with you.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:04 am

birddog1968 wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:

Tim
See crackerd, it is a pointer.....

I do have a lab that happens to point pretty nicely although he didn't come from a PL breeding.

And no a lab that points is not a lab crossed with anything, at least not in the last 100+ years. About 10 percent of labs will show point of varying degrees , some folks are breeding those animals that are predisposed to point birds. Some are just sticky flushers but some have it as honestly as any pointing dog.
Ah! That makes sense. haha, I did think that was a very unique look lab! :oops: I read your profile as "lab: pointer" not "lab and pointer." Well I'm glad that's cleared up!

deke

Post by deke » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 am

Tiger mountain all the way. John Greer, he is not a people pleaser. but you can tell by how he acts and talks that he knows dogs. The man will not BS you, I called him because my dog got sick, he offered a dog his age that was started and already force fetched. That was before we even knew what was wrong with him. Turned out he ate some underwear. Like i said Go tiger mountain you wont be disappointed

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 am

crackerd wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:

Tim

McB, presuming proximity of your friend, what species are there to be "pointed" by a Lab in your vicinity?

On the other hand, there are plenty of birds around for "pointing" them toward delivery starting at about 9 weeks old

Ruffed Grouse, PA & NY, preserve Pheasant...Spinner is on the table too but the wet beard you know :D We are only 2 hours from PA's best areas.

MG

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 pm

deke wrote:Tiger mountain all the way. John Greer, he is not a people pleaser. but you can tell by how he acts and talks that he knows dogs. The man will not BS you, I called him because my dog got sick, he offered a dog his age that was started and already force fetched. That was before we even knew what was wrong with him. Turned out he ate some underwear. Like i said Go tiger mountain you wont be disappointed

+1

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:47 pm

I just looked at the Tiger Mountain site, they want $1200 a pup and the highest achievement their dams have achieved is JH. Maybe I'm reading their site wrong, but it appears to me they've been training dogs for 30 years and there breeding program revolves around two untested dams, which brings up a lot of questions for me. I would be afraid of any kennel that breeds solely for color or pointing ability without trying to back it up, especially at $1200 a pup.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:09 pm

nikegundog wrote:I just looked at the Tiger Mountain site, they want $1200 a pup and the highest achievement their dams have achieved is JH. Maybe I'm reading their site wrong, but it appears to me they've been training dogs for 30 years and there breeding program revolves around two untested dams, which brings up a lot of questions for me. I would be afraid of any kennel that breeds solely for color or pointing ability without trying to back it up, especially at $1200 a pup.
That's a good point. I'm not sure why they don't get their dams some more accolades before breeding them. I can only speak from experience and the pup I have from them that I've been working with has been amazing so far. If you want to choose someone with dams that have got a the awards... check out Poudre River Gun Dogs. Gary Buys is the owner and has recently released a four part training DVD that is gears towards pointing labs and it is well done and he uses dogs that are being trained for the first time in the videos. I have spoken with him a few times on the phone about his operation in Colorado and he seems very passionate about his pups. If I were to add to my family tomorrow I would seriously consider him as well.

http://www.poudrerivergundogs.com

Brad

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:05 pm

My point is, just because it's not a pointer doesn't mean he can't have a great upland hunting dog.
He might find it to be better. I don't know that I would go pointing Lab, more just yer everyday run of the mill American Field Bred Lab with a thick skull, long legs, thinner coat, tougher than nails, in the eighty to eighty five pound range. Yeah that just might be the dog of a lifetime, ya never know.