Wire Hair vs porcupine--UPDATED ****

C.painter

Wire Hair vs porcupine--UPDATED ****

Post by C.painter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:13 am

Up in northern WI last weekend and my buddies wirehair got into it with a porcupine. This dog has no quit in him.... and he paid for it. 2 guys plus a vet took over 2 hours to remove at least a 1000 quills from this dog. Had some in one eye, we think he won't loose the eye but too early to tell. Dog still has a LOT of quills in him that we couldn't reach as they had migrated under the skin. The dog passed out in the field from the pain.

Dog is slowly making progess, but is far from being out of the woods. Thought I would share a picture...

UPDATED:

Well after several months of complications and 2000K in vet bills my buddy took his wirehair in because it was having more troubles. Couple of opinions from vets said they had to open him up and see what is going on but think a quil might have made it into his stomach but they are unsure. Even after the additional 1800$ surgery the dog still wouldn't be out of the woods.

Needless to say my buddy made the tough choice to put the dog down.

Keep your dogs away from these animals if at all possible... and kill everyone of them you run across here in WI (DNR wants them gone).
Last edited by C.painter on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DogNewbie

Re: Wire Hair vs porcupine

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:22 am

ouch! That's no good man. Even the collar wouldn't keep him back huh?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am

OUCH!!!!

Hope he gets better soon.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:49 am

That is a scary picture. Good luck and best wishes on the dog.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:49 am

Man that is just too much. I would definitely be trash breaking that dog in hurry. Hope he ends up okay.

Make sure that your buddy pays attention to his deification and urinary efforts.

I had a quill the size of a pencil led show up in my ole Dexter dogs anal glands, it migrated all the way through to there.

I brought him in because he was having a lot of anal gland issues and they were to be removed. (still did) The vet say a black spec in behind the gland and that is what was there.

Watch for lumps, csists to show up.

Good luck.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 am

Holly cow. I would hate to see that vet bill. I hope he recovers and learns his lesson

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 am

From what I've heard once the German dogs have a run in with a porky they only get worse & want another go at them!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 am

OH man

Be sure to keep him on some serious antibiotics...Them porkys are no good :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:21 am

Geez.... poor guy. :(

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:24 am

From what I have heard from other wire hair owners... these dogs just can't say no... trash breaking or not... And yes, we hope this run in cures him... but i doubt it.

Oh.. and with drugs and antibiotics... and coming in after hours on the weekend.... the bill was 235$.... Some Vets are just awesome. We DID help clean up... we swept up and cleaned up the room for him for his efforts.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:46 am

There's a bunch of people that porcupine break their dogs the same as snake breaking. That has got to be tuff!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Good luck DD, I fill your pain > :evil: I Hate porkeys to...Pa is over run with porkeys...The PAGame commission been protecting them over 100rds of years...Civial War i guess, Poor man's pork , you can kill one without a gun......word on the path :wink: We are finally allowed to harvest/kill legally....Ther been times ive sent a dog to retrieve a grouse and came back with a porkey......2x.....Your days hunt is over :evil:

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:17 pm

I just experienced porcupines about 2 weeks ago, had 2 wirehairs that each got one, nothing nearly as bad as that though.

Best of luck and hope he pulls through!

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:01 pm

rschmeider wrote:Good luck DD, I fill your pain > :evil: I Hate porkeys to...Pa is over run with porkeys...The PAGame commission been protecting them over 100rds of years...Civial War i guess, Poor man's pork , you can kill one without a gun......word on the path :wink: We are finally allowed to harvest/kill legally....Ther been times ive sent a dog to retrieve a grouse and came back with a porkey......2x.....Your days hunt is over :evil:
This is where FF does not pay off!!!

Germans have the same record with skunks mine goes wild over the stinkers....

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 am

I always include $300.00 in my hunting trip budget for a trip to the vet for quill removal :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 am

Georgia Boy wrote:I always include $300.00 in my hunting trip budget for a trip to the vet for quill removal :lol:
Thats a great reminder for any vet visit on a hunting trip, I forgot to take that into account, guess i'm out a few steak dinners :(

Hope the dog pulls thru ! that's a painful picture to look at.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

C.painter

Re: Wire Hair vs porcupine--UPDATED ****

Post by C.painter » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:30 pm

UPDATED:

Well after several months of complications and 2000K in vet bills my buddy took his wirehair in because it was having more troubles. Couple of opinions from vets said they had to open him up and see what is going on but think a quil might have made it into his stomach but they are unsure. Even after the additional 1800$ surgery the dog still wouldn't be out of the woods.

Needless to say my buddy made the tough choice to put the dog down.

Keep your dogs away from these animals if at all possible... and kill everyone of them you run across here in WI (DNR wants them gone).

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorry to read about this one. It's a painful reminder that there are definitely risks involved when you take a dog out in the field.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:23 pm

That's a shame... condolances. :oops: I hate porkies.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:19 pm

That really Sucks..I I hate to hear this..My condolences. :(

My dogs have been into 2 porkies this year :x ... Danner/young GSP had so many this time he stated to suffacate...Had to put a stick in his mouth and tie my lanyard around his muzzle..Pulled over 3 hrs in the woods...Days when i got home ...He broke his back tooth from the pain biting the stick..This is a vet bill coming...I know for sure he swallowed quills...I think i got lucky its been a couple months and he seems fine....I think he learned his lesson.

I have been in porkies at least couple dozen times over the years...Most of the time its 20 to 50 quills...Never lost a dog yet...Knock on WooD!! After reading this post i'm going to take braking my dogs off these Rodents more seriously.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:00 pm

A question for you guys that live where porkies exist: do you catch them and break dog on them like snakes? And how do you catch them?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:33 pm

brad27 wrote:A question for you guys that live where porkies exist: do you catch them and break dog on them like snakes? And how do you catch them?
x2

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:44 pm

I am fortunate to have not seen a porqupine around here in years. But years past I've had my run in's. My old hunting partner, Jack, had one shorthair that would look for the things.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 pm

brad27 wrote:A question for you guys that live where porkies exist: do you catch them and break dog on them like snakes? And how do you catch them?
Might have to with those fur bred dogs :D Ep's only look for birds :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:27 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
Might have to with those fur bred dogs :D Ep's only look for birds :lol:
10:1 someone comes on here and says their EP gets after fur. Or I could dig up post past...........

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Pretty much accepted fact that long time german dog owners wouldn't deny....just the way it is.

Ps. I had shorthairs for 20 some years.......

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:00 am

I been letting my young dogs run bigger with the garmin ,so time to get their for the correction is limited..I try to let my dogs almost bite or just and then i light them up with a Tri Tronic Trash Breaker on 6...Pull a few quills and move on ...Now i am to late and they got into the kill to much...

It would be nice to catch one in a box trap....Did anyone ever achieve this???And what did you use for bait????

I have seen EP with quills all threw them it doesn't matter what breed.
IMO on EP's ...Nose ??? My fur breed dogs don't have to run around like cheetahs to find birds and stumble on a few. :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:08 am

rschmeider wrote: IMO on EP's ...Nose ??? My fur breed dogs don't have to run around like cheetahs to find birds and stumble on a few. :lol:

Yea, that's why i switched from Shorthairs :roll: :D

is it taboo to say these days that german dogs were bred with more fur in the program....silly me , i thought that was an accepted fact.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:18 am

birddog1968 wrote:Pretty much accepted fact that long time german dog owners wouldn't deny....just the way it is.

Ps. I had shorthairs for 20 some years.......
not denying, just wondering how people deal with it. do you snake break your dogs?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 am

birddog1968 wrote:
rschmeider wrote: IMO on EP's ...Nose ??? My fur breed dogs don't have to run around like cheetahs to find birds and stumble on a few. :lol:

Yea, that's why i switched from Shorthairs :roll: :D

is it taboo to say these days that german dogs were bred with more fur in the program....silly me , i thought that was an accepted fact.
are you talking about DK's or their half bred EP/GSP cousins. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10r

Post by 10r » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 am

Have a DD that got into one just like this two years ago.. she wouldn't let it go and tried to retrieve the now dead porcupine to me... vets had to put her under and took out hundreds of quills. she's fine now but it was a long day.

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:27 am

C.P.

That sucks that he had to put him down but was probably the right choice. My griff got into one in Iron County this fall at the first place we stopped that morning. He came running back with a face full of quills and we spent 20minutes pulling them out in the woods - maybe pulled 100+ out of him - nothing like your friends dog. I can't imagine seeing my dog as full of that poor wirehair.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!