German Shorthaired Pummler - NA Test

tabcha63

German Shorthaired Pummler - NA Test

Post by tabcha63 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 am

Results from this post: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=31503

Well its all overwith now. No prize for trigger. I was first to run and during the 20 min search with in the first 5 or so mins he hit on a bird with no point, just ran it flat. The fields were pretty wet at 7:30 am and the bird was just soaked :evil: . About 5 mins later, flattend another bird that was soaked. As we went on my frustrations grew and just kept my mouth shut and let the dog work. About 15 min into the search he hit another bird and it managed to fly and he chased, I blew the whistle and he came back :mrgreen: I was extatic, that was great for cooperation. After he came back the senior judge motioned to make a sweep back towards the begining to finish off. On the way he managed to jump another bird and chased, I blew the whistle but it took a bit for him to come back, so there went my good recall from the previous bird :cry: . As we exited the field I had no points and most of the day was just dissapointment.

About two hours later we went on to the pheasant track, he was all amped up and I was tryng to calm him while they finished laying the track. I pulled up to the start and the judge told me where the bird went and to just stare that way incase the dog get off track and looks at me, he might pick up that im looking at the bird. Well he tore off and about 100' down the track he made a hard left, all i could think was "jeez here we go", after a bit of what i thought was a search i saw a bird pop up out of the corner of my eye to the left. All i could think was he found a chukar that managed to get into the track field. They sent me over to pick up the dog and pheasant (cause he did find it :P ) and back to the staging area we went.

Last we did the water work. He went in with little hesitation as he usually does, no big supprise there.

All in all he got:
Nose - 4
Search - 4
Water - 3
Pointing - 0
Tracking - 4
Desire - 4
Coop - 3

Pointing problem cause the No Prize. This was all the trainers (my) fault. He was having a bit of a pointing problem. Working by myself he would point, in groups he would just pummle them. In hindsight I should have worked him more with a group of people, but groups of 3 or more people are hard to come by. If anything, I found out I he has a great platform to start off of. I also got a compliment from the judge about how good of a dog he was and I just need to get the pointing problem worked out :) .

At the end when I got the scores I was mad and happy all at the same time. If I were to have a fail score this is how I would want it. Fixing a pointing problem is just a matter of working with the dog. You cant fix a nose and desire.

I have him on a waiting list in Virginia for Nov 11 and North Carolina Dec 3. So, I will keep working with him until then. Our bird season opens Oct 15, so we will hunt on in the mean time. After hunting season we are going to start training for the UT test.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: German Shorthaired Pummler - NA Test

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:34 am

I don't know what kind of test this was? The idea that he's going to be ready for those next two, test's I guess, is good positive thinking. Myself, I would wait and be sure he's ready. Taking out the birds the way he did he just may have enjoyed a bit to much. I think I read three of them? Soaking wet birds don't like to fly very well. That is trouble for a dog thats really not quite ready.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Well it sounds like a good learning experience. :0) We got a 0 this summer on tracking but couldn't hit another test before the 16 mo mark with our male GSP so just decided to move on to start training toward Utility.

Like I told one of my pup owners this weekend who ran and got all 2's on their scores is that at least now you know what to expect as they had never done one of the NA tests either.

Good luck on your next runs!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Test day is one day in the life of your pup, sometimes it falls on a good day sometimes it falls on a bad day. The experience will help you and your pup if you choose to run another one.

tabcha63

Post by tabcha63 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 pm

All in all, it was a good experiance. I spent most of the day dissapointed, but in the end I got excellent scores other than pointing.

I currently have one remote trap and in the works for another. Ill just keep working him on birds and pop them at first scent and keep him from chasing.

If I get into another test we'll give it another shot. If not, we will work on the UT test.

tabcha63

Post by tabcha63 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:52 pm

haha...just had a thought...something i forgot to post in the water part of the test...

When I went to the water, I knew I had a problem of getting him into the water immediatly. They told me to toss the bumper into the water far enough for him to swim. So when i tossed the bumper I threw it like 4 ft into the water when he swam his back legs still touched and they told me to throw it farther. Everyone else after me the judges told not to throw it as far :P Haha...

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah when I threw the 1st one for Bella they told me to throw it about half the distance. When I threw the 2nd one she jumped into the water farther than I threw the bumper.
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Your gonna love the remote. If you pop it just before he point's, he'll start to beat you and he'll hit them harder. Once you get them make believe your a wild bird. Let it play out between him and the bird. It's really great because you can make the bird do as you will and you always know where it is.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!