First Time in the MN Woods - what to expect

DogNewbie

First Time in the MN Woods - what to expect

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 am

Hello,

This weekend I'm heading up to the north woods to try and get my 4month old pup on some grouse. I know we'll see a good amount of birds so I'm excited about that but I am a little nervous about what to expect from the pup. He's been off leash in fields before but I can always see him and he'll range maybe 100yards but always comes back to check in with me. I guess I'm just a little worried about having him off leash in the woods where I can't see him all the time. What should I expect/any suggestions as to how I should approach this experience? Thanks,

Tim

DogNewbie

Re: First Time in the MN Woods - what to expect

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 am

I should also mention that he is not collar conditioned yet (we just started wearing the collar around this week) and his recall on come has been noticeably worse lately. He's getting a bit hard headed. He knows when he's off the leash and if he doesn't want to come he won't. I also cannot afford a GPS or tracking system right now. Thanks,

Tim

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am

Tim,

I was in those same shoes just a few weeks ago with my pup, and she has done from my expectations really well.
She hasn't locked up on a picture perfect point yet, bumbed some birds - pointed one after it flushed. Put a bell on her for sure and since my GSP is pretty dark and I have her wear a blaze orange dog vest as well. I think it helps keeping an eye on her. Bring along a few dog treats as well when hunting when he does come on cammand give him one - he just might remember what he got the last time he heard the command.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:17 am

I do not recall what age your pup is: However, Make sure you have a bell or beeper on him. I run a stiff cc on the pup for the first year as many times they will come close to you but keep going right on by. So with the cc you can step on it and recall the pup and have control at that particular moment.

You did not ask this but make sure you have a good first aid kit that can stop bleeding and fix cut pads. There are a lot of things in the grouse woods that can stick a dog, cut a pad or cut a dog. Dog boots for if you do need to do a pad repair, stapler or soucher kit (SP), EMT GEL bandages etc. I bring antibiotics as well. A chest protector can be a help if you have a crazy running dog that runs with reckless abandon.

I know of two up here in Maine that lost their dogs from them running straight on into a blow down branch sticking out and driving it in their chest and them bleeding out. Hit arteries in each case.

Have fun. The dog will come to you just don't keep speaking to the pup. The more you talk the more he knows he can get away with.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

k2k

Post by k2k » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:17 am

You might think about putting a bell on him so you can track him audibly.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 am

Ruffshooter wrote:I know of two up here in Maine that lost their dogs from them running straight on into a blow down branch sticking out and driving it in their chest and them bleeding out. Hit arteries in each case.

Have fun.
jeeze, you know just what to say to calm a guy down...haha. First aid kit is a good idea. I've already got front booties and some neosporin. I'll have to go out and get a more complete kit.

I do have a bell for his collar that he'll be wearing. As for the check cord, I don't have a stiff one and I was thinking he'll just get all tangled up in the under brush.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 am

Sorry about that; After I posted it did seem a little morbid. But Just want you to be ready for anything.

For what its worth, I have hunted for about 30 plus years and never had more than foot issues. Now you gone an dun it, I am going to be jinxed for sure. :mrgreen:

You can get a good stiff 20 cc at Cabelas, with no knots in it and a stiff one you will be okay. I think lion country supply and here the Gun dog supply have 1/2" diameter cc that are stiff. You are right if you use just plain ole braided rope it will get tangled. It needs to be stiff. (Thats what she said) :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 am

haha don't worry about it. The contrast between the morbid vision of the dogs and the "have fun" right after made me laugh. I'm mostly worried about his running off where I can't see him. I'll just have to get used to listening for him instead. Thanks for the advise!

Tim

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 am

Well, opinions are worth what you pay for them. I have an opinion! At four months, the pup may be a bit young to put on that kind of cover unless you've been running in it at home. You might find that the pup takes off running pretty good at first then gets a bit cautious. Proabaly from a new cover where he can't keep track of you so well any more. If that happens he'll spend more time looking for you than hunting. Or you might find he won't go in much from the get go. I believe if I were you I'd take him out in it expecting nothing but getting him used to cover. If for some reason he doesn't meet your expectations, schrug it off, he is just a pup! Next year he'll be a bull!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Stiff Arm

Post by Stiff Arm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 am

I don't think you don't metnioned how much grouse hunting experience you have in general but I was in the woods last weekend and would add that the foliage is still pretty thick so move slowly, trust your dogs instincts and expect to let him learn more than you expect to bag birds. I was hunting my 1 year old Brittany in her first season with another 3 year old Brit and we saw and put up several birds and heard several more flush that we couldn't see. At one point my buddy and I were watching my pup on hard point on what we thought was only falling aspen leaves until a grouse busted out of the thick stuff and left us both standing there looking stupid. :?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am

Stiff Arm wrote:I don't think you don't metnioned how much grouse hunting experience you have in general but I was in the woods last weekend and would add that the foliage is still pretty thick so move slowly, trust your dogs instincts and expect to let him learn more than you expect to bag birds. I was hunting my 1 year old Brittany in her first season with another 3 year old Brit and we saw and put up several birds and heard several more flush that we couldn't see. At one point my buddy and I were watching my pup on hard point on what we thought was only falling aspen leaves until a grouse busted out of the thick stuff and left us both standing there looking stupid. :?
I have a lot of grouse hunting experience, next to zero grouse hunting with a dog experience. I'm not expecting to shoot many, if any birds at this point but if he has a solid point and the bird flushes maybe I'll put it down for him.
DonF wrote:Well, opinions are worth what you pay for them. I have an opinion! At four months, the pup may be a bit young to put on that kind of cover unless you've been running in it at home. You might find that the pup takes off running pretty good at first then gets a bit cautious. Proabaly from a new cover where he can't keep track of you so well any more. If that happens he'll spend more time looking for you than hunting. Or you might find he won't go in much from the get go. I believe if I were you I'd take him out in it expecting nothing but getting him used to cover. If for some reason he doesn't meet your expectations, schrug it off, he is just a pup! Next year he'll be a bull!
Well to be completely honest I think I'd be more comfortable with him wanting to stick close at this point. I'm feeling fairly cautious myself! Thanks for the replies,

Tim

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 pm

I had Remy out last fall at 5 months. Given your pup is about where he was at that time, I'll tell you what you can expect (all assumptions based on past experiences of my own dog, mind you):
1) Your dog will range way too far and chase birds.
2) Even an industrial-sized cowbell will be hard to pick up when the wind is gusting through the quaking aspen leaves, and you'll be stone-cold certain your dog fell in a tailings pond and died ... until it comes back with a big $hit-grin on its face.
3) It will bump birds, and if you ever do get lucky and shoot one that flushes wild, it will point the dead bird.
4) It eventually will retrieve the bird, and you'll get a good chuckle as it tries to figure out how to get rid of a pillow-case-sized mouthful of feathers.
5) After the weekend, you'll have one pooped pooch who will give you at least a day or two of blissful calm until it returns to its energized puppy self.
6) Even if it does nothing right and seems to be getting worse before it gets better, you're going to be one proud papa by the end of the weekend :mrgreen:

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:00 pm

When my pup was 4 months old I had her in the wood a lot. Now there was still plenty of snow so she couldn't run too much. However once the snow was gone and I got up north with her at 5 months of age, I was glad I had a bell. My dog didn't range too far in the field at that age, but when I put her in the wood without the hinderance of snow wow did she run. If you're worried about not being able to see your dog get a good bell. Don't get a cheap one you can buy at big box store, but one that can be heard at 100 yards or more. I have a couple from Lion Country, but I've heard other places sell good bells as well.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 pm

When the bird jumps, count the wings. 2 wings, probably a grouse. 4 wings, probably a mosquito. No limit on mosquitoes. #6 shot may be heavy enough.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'm excited yet apprehensive to see how he does. I'm thinking GWPTyler has in on the noise. Briar sounds like he has a similar personality to Remy. I think I also need to learn to trust my dog a bit more. Trust that he'll be checking in even if I can't see him. Thanks again!

Tim

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:01 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I'm excited yet apprehensive to see how he does. I'm thinking GWPTyler has in on the noise. Briar sounds like he has a similar personality to Remy. I think I also need to learn to trust my dog a bit more. Trust that he'll be checking in even if I can't see him. Thanks again!

Tim
That part is dead on! Believe it or not, it took me most of last weekend before I even trusted Remy enough not to call him every time I lost sight of him in the woods or his bell stopped tinkling. There were a couple of occasions (when he chased a hare and all those gal-darn squirrels) that I had to get on him and give him a little e-collar reminder. But eventually I just kind of let him do his thing, and he always managed to find his way back, usually sooner than later.

Now, would I recommend the same thing for your young pup? Mmmm...maybe not. I mean, a pup that young might not have the common sense yet to come back to you if its on the hot trail of a fleeing grouse. Of course, I could be wrong...but do you want to take the chance?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm

GWPtyler wrote: Now, would I recommend the same thing for your young pup? Mmmm...maybe not. I mean, a pup that young might not have the common sense yet to come back to you if its on the hot trail of a fleeing grouse. Of course, I could be wrong...but do you want to take the chance?
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Not quite sure how to deal with that. Stiff check cord is really the only thing that comes that would at least slow him up a bit. Maybe I'll walk a couple trails with a cc just to be safe and play it by ear

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 am

Can't believe there hasn't been a mention of expecting the pup to chase deer, rabbits, etc. My 9 month old thoroughly enjoys a good rabbit chase at this point!

As far as the number of birds you'll see, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. It's been pretty hit or miss this year. Mornings have been better than evenings in Northern MN, FYI.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

cpinkert wrote:Can't believe there hasn't been a mention of expecting the pup to chase deer, rabbits, etc. My 9 month old thoroughly enjoys a good rabbit chase at this point!

As far as the number of birds you'll see, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. It's been pretty hit or miss this year. Mornings have been better than evenings in Northern MN, FYI.
So would any of you suggest turning the collar on and only using it to trash break if he does go after a deer or rabbit? The only thing is he's only been wearing the collar for less than a week when we go on walks or train. What do you think?

Tim