Developing the bark

DogNewbie

Developing the bark

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:37 am

What is your experience with your pup developing his/her bark? I have a really quite 4 month old pup, which I like. He only makes noise when he is in the kennel and doesn't want to be, but that is more of a whining than bark and doesn't last very long. Anyway, this morning I was being lame and gave him a really weak work out so to try and compensate for it I was wrestling with him a bit, but I got distracted for a moment and after maybe 15 secs of me not paying attention to him he let out one loud bark! Just curious as to others experiences?

Tim

deke

Re: Developing the bark

Post by deke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm

My pup just turned a year old two days ago, and i have heard him bark once. It was at a squirell that was about six inches to high for him to reach. My older dog only barks if you talk to him, or there is someone at the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 pm

I have a nine year which we adopted when she was 5. She can bark, but does so only very rarely and always outdoors. She's never barked indoors.

germandogs12

Post by germandogs12 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

My last Weim was 1 year old when she barked the 1st time. Opened her mouth and sounded like an amplified foghorn. After that she only barked if some one came to the front door. Friends all said how does make that sound.

She died two years ago at 12 and I still miss her. Best quail dog I ever hunted over

gspguy

Post by gspguy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Why do you care about not barking? The less barking the better. Nothing worse than a dog that yaps and barks all the time. I quiet dog is a good dog.
They're all broke 'til they break.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Oh don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining about a quiet dog. I love a quiet dog. Briar gets scolded every time he barks. If he barks he'd better have a d**m good reason. I'm just curious to see peoples experiences and get a better idea of whether quiet puppy = quiet dog or if a quiet pup can turn into a barking machine. Just curious is all.