line breeding or in-breeding..your thoughts?

Wenaha

Re: line breeding or in-breeding..your thoughts?

Post by Wenaha » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 pm

quailrunner wrote:It looks like mostly all of the inbreeding or linebreeding of the various breeds of pointing dogs is done on the Dog's line (male). The line that i have been looking at seems to be more structured around the bitches line. Like I said in my original post: breedings of mother/son, 1/2 siblings with common mother and so forth.
I have always felt that a strong mother-line is more beneficial to improving or at least maintaining the qualities desired in a breeding program, but this kind of breeding program is hard to find.
Do you think there is a difference between these types of breeding programs ie. mother-line versus father-line? I'll leave this question a bit vague in the hopes of getting a larger variety of comments.
Some line foundation dogs seem to result in better production from the females. FWIW, my own experience tells me that the female usually has greater impact on the quality of pups produced than the stud.

With females, of course, breedings are more limited, and many owners of trial proven females do not want to take time to whelp a litter or two. This makes it tough to find a litter from a truly proven female. Not impossible, though.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:34 pm

It has been along time but if memory serves me correctly Elhew Jungle was begotten from a littermates breeding.I'd look it up but I loaned my book out and never got it back.I can remember the fact that Wehle did it and did get a champeen out of it.I can't 100% remember the dogs name though........... :o

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Wenaha wrote:
quailrunner wrote:It looks like mostly all of the inbreeding or linebreeding of the various breeds of pointing dogs is done on the Dog's line (male). The line that i have been looking at seems to be more structured around the bitches line. Like I said in my original post: breedings of mother/son, 1/2 siblings with common mother and so forth.
I have always felt that a strong mother-line is more beneficial to improving or at least maintaining the qualities desired in a breeding program, but this kind of breeding program is hard to find.
Do you think there is a difference between these types of breeding programs ie. mother-line versus father-line? I'll leave this question a bit vague in the hopes of getting a larger variety of comments.
Some line foundation dogs seem to result in better production from the females. FWIW, my own experience tells me that the female usually has greater impact on the quality of pups produced than the stud.

With females, of course, breedings are more limited, and many owners of trial proven females do not want to take time to whelp a litter or two. This makes it tough to find a litter from a truly proven female. Not impossible, though.
+1 I know the blues line which my Gator is bred off produced awesome bird find dogs.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson