dog bootie question

up-hunter

dog bootie question

Post by up-hunter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:19 am

I have a wpg that doesn't handle the heat the best and i'm thinking about putting boots on her because of grass awns and i was wondering if the boots are going to make her handle the heat even worse?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: dog bootie question

Post by mcbosco » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:28 am

up-hunter wrote:I have a wpg that doesn't handle the heat the best and i'm thinking about putting boots on her because of grass awns and i was wondering if the boots are going to make her handle the heat even worse?
Could be. Dogs "sweat" through the paw and nose surface I believe.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:28 am

I just use duck tape backwards up and down the paw. Then I don't let any hair or skin show, and I wrap another piece of duck tape somewhat firm around them.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:03 pm

I boot mine all the while we're in SD. I have never felt that the boots caused a dog to overheat. Lewis boots might, because they contain the heat. I use 1000 denier cordura's from dogbooties.com and have never had a problem.

First wrap the leg in vetwrap, put the boot on, then tape over the upper boot and vetwrap. Stops the tape from pulling out the hair.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 am

thanks that is what I was looking for.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 am

There are also how to pages on leather boots for harsh terrain if you were on shale or rocks. I'll looking for the link....

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 am

gone huntin those are the same boots i have, I was wondering what your reason your taping them is ?

skeetermc

Post by skeetermc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:00 pm

I use an 8 " piece of m/cycle inner tube. I cut the sides about two inches down.I use gorilla tape wrapped backwards above the ankle. Place the dogs paw through the tube to about where the open end covers your dogs nails by an inch. Stick the back flap to the backwards wrapped tape, wrap around back flap and around the front of the legg. Then fold up the front flap an wrap the entire leg again. The front of the inner tube stays open allowing the foot to breath but stops damaging rocks and stickers from penetrating the dogs pads. I only boot my dogs front end. This a cheap durable boot and I've never lost one in the field. A pair will last me an entire season and I hunt almost every weekend.