Stressfull Day for Me & My Dog

Grousehunter74

Stressfull Day for Me & My Dog

Post by Grousehunter74 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Took my 10 month old griff out for some exercise today and had a good day to start. It is the time of the month when we get our monthly bath (she stays indoors with us) and I figured one more sweaty run before we smell good again.

All went well and we got back to the truck. I took off the Tritronics collar and took my hand off the dog for a second and bam - she was off to the races! She ran out about 30 yards and when I called her back, she took one look and said "screw you and the tritronics - I'm out of here!" I like to never got her back - yikes!

Back to the house and time for a bath - never been her favorite activity. I figured these griff's really like water, but that doesn't appy to bath water with this dog. Today wasy expecially bad. She resisted mightly and gave me a growl - something she has never done. Being the alpha male in her life, I didn't tolerate this and made sure I won this fight, which I did. She finally submitted and we got the bath done. She was stressed, I was glad the day was over.

To finish things off, I brough her in, dried her off, poured her with praise and a few treats and I think we are best friends again.

Anyone have a dog that KNOWS the shock coller is off and forgets who is in charge while becoming very independent?

Anyone struggle with giving their dog a bath?

How do you handle the situation when your dog gives you a growl?

Thanks!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Stressfull Day for Me & My Dog

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:14 pm

The key word is "10 months" . I have a 13 year old dog and I stopped recharging the no bark collar years ago. :)

(I grab him by the muzzle and hold on long enough until it hurts a bit ( or a lot) :wink: - JRT)

Let's call it a "training collar".
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Grousehunter74

Post by Grousehunter74 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Actually my Tritronics is not a training collar, but rather a protect my investment collar. I only use it if the dog decides to flip me the bird (no pun intended) and take-off - which has happened. A slight buzz, she is back at my feet and back to being all business.

Thx

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Wow, that was quite a day!

Grousehunter74 wrote:Took my 10 month old griff out for some exercise today and had a good day to start. It is the time of the month when we get our monthly bath (she stays indoors with us) and I figured one more sweaty run before we smell good again.

All went well and we got back to the truck. I took off the Tritronics collar and took my hand off the dog for a second and bam - she was off to the races! She ran out about 30 yards and when I called her back, she took one look and said "screw you and the tritronics - I'm out of here!" I like to never got her back - yikes!

Back to the house and time for a bath - never been her favorite activity. I figured these griff's really like water, but that doesn't appy to bath water with this dog. Today wasy expecially bad. She resisted mightly and gave me a growl - something she has never done. Being the alpha male in her life, I didn't tolerate this and made sure I won this fight, which I did. She finally submitted and we got the bath done. She was stressed, I was glad the day was over.

To finish things off, I brough her in, dried her off, poured her with praise and a few treats and I think we are best friends again.

Anyone have a dog that KNOWS the shock coller is off and forgets who is in charge while becoming very independent?

A lot of it is her age, but some work on recall with more hands=on type corrections will help

Grousehunter74 wrote:Anyone struggle with giving their dog a bath?

They don't have to like it, they just have to do it.

Grousehunter74 wrote:How do you handle the situation when your dog gives you a growl?

Depends on the growl. If it's a nervous, fear, or tension, I leave it alone, but if it's aggressive we have a big meeting of minds about it.

Why did you heap her with praise and treats afterwards? Dogs know when you've moved on after a correction, and don't connect the treats later on with being 'forgiven'. She likely thought she was being rewarded for walking around, or lying on the sofa, or whatever it was she was doing at the time.
Rewards are earned and given immediately after the desired behavior. The late treats makes us feel better, and the dogs like 'em, but I don't believe they make the connection that we're buddies again. They probably go around thinking we're chumps :lol:

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:56 pm

I have one Brittany that knows when the collar is on and when it isnt. She has a real bad habit of saying "screw you" and doing what she pleases if the collar is turned off or not put on. She is pretty limited to this 10 acres, but 10 acres is a lot to go chasing her around... She knows her commands, but chooses to ignore them without the collar on.

I have literally stood at the back door and whispered her name and the COME command and had RUN to me with the collar on. Without the collar, she comes when she is done checking out everything and she is ready on her own to come in.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 am

My 4mon GWP hates baths and after a couple really stressful ones (one of which ended with the pup cowering in the corner trying to escape me...never felt like a worse dog owner) I started showering with him and he does 100% better. I think he didn't like having water dumped on him and the shower gets him wet gradually. It also helps that he's in more of a confined space. I just hold him by the collar and try to keep it as positive as possible. Any time he tries to jump out I just give him a firm no and go back to being positive. Last months shower I was able to let go of the collar at the end and he just stood there.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am

I'll have to remember thisif I ever give my dogs a bath again.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 am

Interesting stuff! Showering with the dog!

IMO a growl is a growl. I dont care how stressed it is or afraid or nervous. It isnt tolerated and is delt with pretty swiftly.Give an inch, they will take a mile. A tolerated growl, can turn into a bite.But that is just me.

As far as bath time goes. There is no screwing around there either. I take them into the bathroom, point at the tub and tell them to "Kennel" and although they are reluctant, they will go. They wont move unless I tell them to "turn" so I can get the other side. And then they wont jump out until I tell them to do that either.

Seems like alot, but I think it goes back to in the field or were ever. Ever little bit of control you have over them will help you in the long run.

Now get them out of the tub/shower and lets see some hunting pictures!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm

I never bathe a dog; I just let them swim.

You are building a collar wise dog. I NEVER play with a dog without it having a collar on. I NEVER let the dog outside without a collar on. I NEVER take a dog hunting without a collar on. I NEVER let a dog out of the truck without the collar being on.

I use the collar on them whether we're playing or working. Do that, and you will never have a collar wise dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:45 pm

I bathe ( hot and cold water taps outside for the hose) my 3 dogs as they live in the house and often come come home from the bush a mess. None of them like it but they they had better get their ... over there when called. One will crawl from the middle of the yard to the hose , but she comes.:) The day I take a shower with the dog is the day to put me in the nursing home.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm glad i cant keep my Brittany out of the bath tub. Literally he just goes and sits in the tub and looks at the faucet like..."wheres the water man?"

Right now i'm putting his e-collar on without turning it on, he's on his second week...I'm hoping he'll just associate the collar with "happy happy fun time"
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I have found the best time to bathe a dog is right after roaring them. Mine welcomes the water after a 30 minute run.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:19 am

You are building a collar wise dog. I NEVER play with a dog without it having a collar on. I NEVER let the dog outside without a collar on. I NEVER take a dog hunting without a collar on. I NEVER let a dog out of the truck without the collar being on.
I use the collar on them whether we're playing or working. Do that, and you will never have a collar wise dog.
I was taught that is the best way. They can never ignore a command that way and you always have control. That being said there have been moments when mine have been without their e-collar, but we have worked on recall so much and so often that they respond almost instantly.
Baths, swimming is nice but the wife doesn't like the smell of swampy water either. I built a bath tub out of a double sanitary sink, cut the divider out and added a faucet with a shower nozzle. I lift the dog in, command stay, bath her and then let her out. Towel dry and off they go.
Same with doing nails, commad here, curl up on the couch by me and wait while I give you a pedicure (pun intended). No complaining or fussing, in fact I think they like the one on one attention. Got both dogs used to the dremel now and it is going great.

Soilman

Post by Soilman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

We discovered the same thing about giving our dogs a bath. Get in the tub with them and they are MUCH more receptive.