Insight on breed selection...

mykp13

Insight on breed selection...

Post by mykp13 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am

Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing a gun dog. I haven't hunted since childhood. Just had a baby and would like to get back into hunting as a hobby for both my son and I. I need a dog that will hunt but is also tolerable as a pet. I live in southwest Michigan so the amount of wild birds is limited. I would like a dog that will excel at most types of bird hunting and possibly retrieve. I have a fair sized fenced yard. I do not want a dog that needs a ten mile run everyday to stay sane. I have been doing some reading and it seems like a pointing lab or a brittany seem like a good fit. I like what I've read about English Setters except that they are difficult to house break. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Insight on breed selection...

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:09 pm

There are dogs that are easy to housebreak and then there are those that are harder to housebreak ..Has nothing to do with breed as it does for the individual dog
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 pm

mykp13
I have just the pup for you. She is a Ryman Setter just 7 1/2 weeks old. Well started on being house broke. She was weanned at 5 weeks and the litter was taken out around the clock as needed since weaning. They are pretty well crate broke and can go 4 to 6 hours between trips out side. This time will increase as the pups plumbing matures, its kind of a mechanics thing. Pups that weren't handled this way would not be this far along. I don't sleep much anyway.

Now about Ryman Setters. Bred to hunt grouse in Pennsylvania by Ryman Kennels in the 1930's. Pockets of this blood has been maintained by small breeders mostly in the East and the Northern tier of states were Grouse is the primary game bird, they do also hunt all variaties of game birds. They are close to medium in range since must of their work is done in rough terrain and heavy cover. They are very biddable and easy to train and handle. They are very pleasing to the eye and more than pleasant to live with. They make a better house dog than kennel dog.

This should probably make for some interesting comments!!!
Bob

These are Pics of Hard Scrabble Holly

Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 pm

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any young sporting dog that doesn't need a lot of exercise to stay sane. A tired pup is a good pup :lol:
If housebreaking and calmness are big issues for you, why not look for an older dog instead of a pup?

Good luck in your search.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:36 pm

You have just started what can be a very long process. I think you should find someone close to you who hunts the same birds you plan to hunt and ask to see their dogs work. If you could find five people with five different types of dogs that would be better. The individual dog matters a lot more than the breed, IMO. Every breed has some high strung ones and every breed has some calm dogs. It's better to 1.) know what you want, and 2.) get what you want when buying a dog. The pup will be around for the next 12-15 years, hopefully, so you better get the right dog. If you want one with a strong desire to retrieve, make sure mom and dad retrieve. Go to a field trial thats close. Contact breed clubs that are close. Find a training clinic close and go to that. Don't pick a dog because someone on this site tells you it's the best.

P.S. that is one good lookin' setter.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I have been messing with setters for quite a few years, never heard or knew that the were "hard to housebreak'. All my setters have lived in the house and are completely housebroken -- without any real effort on my part.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks Redfish

Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

codym

Post by codym » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm

One question I would ask is if you are planning on traing the dog yourself or if you plan on using a pro? My first hunting dog was a backyard bred yellow lab. She didn't come from hunting stock and in spite of her breeding and my poor traing she turned out to be a really nice dog. I followed the wolters videos and books to train that dog and was a great learning experience. I feel that you can train retievers with a lead, bumpers, and a few frozen birds where as the pointing breeds require access to lots of live birds (JMO). In my opinion a lab is a great first dog, very versatile and obviously good retrievers. I have since turned my attention to pointers and love them but labs have a special place in my heart and always will. Most I have been around have great personalities and are easy to have around the house and family, just watch out for the tails they are pretty powerful and always wagging. Good luck

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 pm

http://www.kandlkennels.com/index.cfm
These guys have some great dogs and they will train for you also if you are interested. I talked to John Koenig at a trial. He has a few setter puppies (a repeat breeding) that are not spoken for. These will be some great dogs out of proven dogs.

mykp13

Post by mykp13 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 am

Redfishkilla wrote:You have just started what can be a very long process. I think you should find someone close to you who hunts the same birds you plan to hunt and ask to see their dogs work. If you could find five people with five different types of dogs that would be better. The individual dog matters a lot more than the breed, IMO. Every breed has some high strung ones and every breed has some calm dogs. It's better to 1.) know what you want, and 2.) get what you want when buying a dog. The pup will be around for the next 12-15 years, hopefully, so you better get the right dog. If you want one with a strong desire to retrieve, make sure mom and dad retrieve. Go to a field trial thats close. Contact breed clubs that are close. Find a training clinic close and go to that. Don't pick a dog because someone on this site tells you it's the best.

P.S. that is one good lookin' setter.
codym wrote:One question I would ask is if you are planning on traing the dog yourself or if you plan on using a pro? My first hunting dog was a backyard bred yellow lab. She didn't come from hunting stock and in spite of her breeding and my poor traing she turned out to be a really nice dog. I followed the wolters videos and books to train that dog and was a great learning experience. I feel that you can train retievers with a lead, bumpers, and a few frozen birds where as the pointing breeds require access to lots of live birds (JMO). In my opinion a lab is a great first dog, very versatile and obviously good retrievers. I have since turned my attention to pointers and love them but labs have a special place in my heart and always will. Most I have been around have great personalities and are easy to have around the house and family, just watch out for the tails they are pretty powerful and always wagging. Good luck
My thoughts are that I would do a combination of both. I would get some professional training and supplement that with a lot of my own. I dont intend on buying a dog until spring. By the way who is "Wolter"? I hope to be well educated on this process by spring. Any help on sources/training programs would be helpful. Also, any insight on training would be beneficial. It would seem to me that as far as professional help goes you would want someone who specializes in the type of dog you have; setter, pointer etc. Is this an accurate assumption? Thanks for all your help.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

mykp13

Post by mykp13 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am

To those of you I sent a "quote", SORRY. I did not see the reply icon.

Is it realistic to expect hunters/breeders to be helpful with breed selection? As far as other hunters are concerned, I really don't personally know any who hunt in my area. Most of the guys I know hunt duck and geese, in which I am not very interested. I prefer to move around as opposed to sitting for hours. I see there are several "preserves" in my area. I will check with them for assistance. To the gentleman with the pup, she's beautiful, but I'm just starting my process. I need to do a lot more research before I purchase. But, I will definately keep you in mind.

I plan to have some professional training as well as lots of personal training. Any suggestions on manual/videos for training? I appreciate all the feedback so far. This forum seems to be a valuable resource.

Mike