cedar chips

jkoehler

cedar chips

Post by jkoehler » Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Is it true that cedar chips used as bedding will screw with the dogs nose sences??

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Yup the scent is too stong. Use pine way better and it makes your house smell like the mountains.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri May 12, 2006 2:56 pm

i don't know if it is true, but i don't risk it. you can buy aspen chips now. they are practically odorless. not dusty like hay or straw.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri May 12, 2006 3:22 pm

John

Where around our parts can we get aspen chips?

Do you plan to stop out at the Wirehair trial next weekend. I maybe out there Saturday night to camp with the boys, for sure be there Sunday to run the dog in the AGD.

Chris

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri May 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Petco for sure. Lots of other pet stores. Comes in kind of square, plastic wrapped, small bales. Not expensive, and one pretty much does it for each dog house, in my case.

No, next weekend I will be in Ireland, hopefully visiting with some dog guys over there and generally acting as my wife's spouse. Her company has a trip set up, and she told me i have to go, it is spouse intensive.

As much as I enjoy Ireland, and would love to hunt over there some day, the prospect of going from one formal schmooze type gathering to another is not appealing. I would rather be riding around at a dog trial.

PS in case my wife reads this, I do dearly love my wife and don't mind having to put on a suit and tie for her sake. :D

pear

Post by pear » Fri May 12, 2006 3:43 pm

..........Pinocchio John is that your nose I see growing...... :P "pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

doubleba

Stay away from the Cedar!!

Post by doubleba » Fri May 12, 2006 5:11 pm

I had cedar in my kennels and my female GSP got yucky boogery eyes. She got an infection from it. Cedar is dusty and makes tiny slivers that you don't necessarily see. They can get into the eyes and lungs and cause all sorts of problems. I have since switched to pea gravel and love it! Lay down some weed blocker landscape fabric and then start piling on the pea gravel. Super easy to apply and clean. Just make sure you actually get the small rounded pea gravel. Dogs have no qualms about laying on it.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri May 12, 2006 9:08 pm

giapetto-

god's truth. you wanna go for me?

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:58 pm

John, It's not all that bad, just remember another pint please :lol: :lol:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat May 13, 2006 8:10 am

another pint please....another pint please....another pint please

am working on it. i'll have it memorized before we leave. sounds like it might work...

another pint please