DEUTSCH KURZHAAR ..GSP ?? Are they not the same?

adogslife

Re: DEUTSCH KURZHAAR ..GSP ?? Are they not the same?

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:53 am

I use VON because this is AMERICA & I can use any darn thing I please & breed anything I please.
Using a German word to announce your American breeding can make you look like a hypocrite,just saying.

Why don't you use dogs with DK in them?

Facts:
breed wardens are a resource for breeders to use if they choose, they do not tell breeders who to breed to;breeders have freedom to breed as the choose,as long as the dogs they breed to are registered to breed

I already answered the price issue

"High and mighty", "almighty","lowly bred", you seem to have issues,maybe you ought to drop the German word "von" from your kennel name so you are not associated, in any way, with what the DK represents.

Because the German clubs have an exclusive membership most people equate this to "better than".
Is it better, we can each decide for ourselves and spend our money where we believe it is better spent.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:So give me the facts where I was wrong,I'm still waiting & I'm waiting on my wife to get here with the dog food so I can mix it & go.I use VON because this is AMERICA & I can use any darn thing I please & breed anything I please.
And now we know the difference. This is America, english is our official language. The translation is German Shorhaired Pointers. In Germany they are Deutsch Kurzhaar.
Take Care
Pete

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:07 am

[quote="legallyblonde
After getting it done in the field:
Image[/quote]

Is "leagly blond" a girl? Good to see girls on these sites. But one thing I have to tell you, if your hunting over poinging dogs it is uncouth to shoot anything other than a SxS! :mrgreen:

This idea about two different dogs is much to do about nothing. What they are is two different types of the same dog. It's not a lot different than the difference between the Lewellyn and the English Setter. They are two different types of dog, one AKC will register and one not. But FDSB will register both.

I think it doesn't matter one bit if the DK people won't register Shorthairs, AKC and FDSB both recognize Shorthairs but I don't think either recognizes DK's as a seperate breed.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 am

Hey von,
explain this:

A Zeppelin is a type of rigid airship pioneered by the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin in the early 20th century

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:21 am

DonF wrote:[quote="legallyblonde
After getting it done in the field:
Is "leagly blond" a girl? Good to see girls on these sites. But one thing I have to tell you, if your hunting over poinging dogs it is uncouth to shoot anything other than a SxS! :mrgreen:

This idea about two different dogs is much to do about nothing. What they are is two different types of the same dog. It's not a lot different than the difference between the Lewellyn and the English Setter. They are two different types of dog, one AKC will register and one not. But FDSB will register both.

I think it doesn't matter one bit if the DK people won't register Shorthairs, AKC and FDSB both recognize Shorthairs but I don't think either recognizes DK's as a seperate breed.[/quote]

Yes I'm a girl LOL! :D Not sure what an SXS is (I am still new at all this hunting stuff but not to dog training) but I LOVE my pink Remington!
Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 am

Did I mention you have no idea what you are talking about?
Oh,yeah, I did. Before you speak learn the facts.
Well I do know and have learnt a few things in my time here on this planet.

They started out the same, guys brought them back from erupoe after ww1 and also ww2, after ww2 them germans had little good blood to go on so they got a couple AKC dogs to breed back into their DKs. The FT guys bred for speed and color. Germans breed for the complete package as their games do not need a fast dog. Many here and abroad belive the gsp folks bred pointers into their lines and that is a no no if you read up on the old books.

Now my gsps went out and killed a couple skunks the other nite and proudly brought them home. They have also killed yotes, rabbits, a bobcat and countless racoons.

Buy a german dog from germany you will be OK buy a dk from NADKC and you will not be allowed to reg it AKC as they do not recognioze them and the dk folks are not reging FCI so I will stay away from them folks (got yelled at by a gal thought she knew stuff).

I see the American DK folks as folks learning about the dogs and how to keep their noses up in the air like they do asking 1800 or morew for a pup and you gotta fololow their rules.

I was told I could run my gsp in their events and get a score but would never ne alowe to be reged in the dkv sniff sniff..

I sure do have a nice pup right outta American lines.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Greek

Post by Greek » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:31 am

legallyblonde wrote:over those awful broken down triangles that people call GSD's.
I call those Roach backs!! :lol:

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 am

adogslife wrote:Hey von,
explain this:

A Zeppelin is a type of rigid airship pioneered by the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin in the early 20th century
He never said he has issues with Germany. I'm guessing his kennel is called Von Zeppelin because he's breeding dogs that originate from Germany. It's called marketing. His issues lie with his perception of the average DK owner's attitude towards GSPS. I'm starting to think his issues really only lie with one DK owner... :roll:

Greek

Post by Greek » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:42 am

legallyblonde wrote:Yes I'm a girl LOL! :D Not sure what an SXS is (I am still new at all this hunting stuff but not to dog training) but I LOVE my pink Remington!
A SxS is a side by side shotgun.. and I guess I will be doing another no no.. I shoot semi for my hunting too :D

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 am

I think that people get carried away arguing over what constitutes a "breed" or a "line". What really matters is what folks expect when they buy a dog. Some GWPs, Spinones, and WPGs look alike, and yet we have very different expectations for each of those dogs. Whether you believe they are different breeds or not, it sounds like most everyone can agree that there are differences between DKs and GSPs. The breeders are striving for different characteristics in both looks and performance. Since they all originally came from DKs imported from Germany, there are bound to be similarities that exist today. So yes, there are certainly similarities between the two breeds/lines. But since there are some big differences in not only the physical make-up of the dog but all the expectations for each dog, the two are called by different names.

Personally, I think calling a dog a DK just helps out the potential puppy buyer or other folks in easily identifying what the pup should be. In my mind, its similar to calling a dog an English Setter instead of a Llewellin Setter. Would most people consider those 2 dogs different breeds? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is that when you are shopping for a Llewellin pup, you have different expectations than when you are shopping for an English Setter pup. They all came from the same place, but we are seeing quite a bit of divergence in the breed as folks selectively breed dogs. So instead of arguing over why GSPs and DKs have different names, we should be thankful that breeders use a different name to make it easy for us to see that there are different expectations for the pups. That way, those of you who prefer the American dogs can easily avoid DK lines. And folks who prefer the German breeding system can easily avoid GSP lines.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am

DogNewbie,
Are you his agent?

Couple questionable facts markj.
after ww2 them germans had little good blood to go on so they got a couple AKC dogs to breed back into their DKs

And just where did that GSP blood come from and what years was this taking place?

It is fact they some GSP breeders did breed to EPs.
Many here and abroad belive the gsp folks bred pointers into their lines and that is a no no if you read up on the old books.

This is not fact,check out a few NADKC breeders websites.
Buy a german dog from germany you will be OK buy a dk from NADKC and you will not be allowed to reg it AKC as they do not recognioze them and the dk folks are not reging FCI so I will stay away from them folks
I see the American DK folks as folks learning about the dogs
I see this, too. The DK is not widely known or understood and has opposition from the GSP owners.
The more we learn the more the breed grows.

I was told I could run my gsp in their events and get a score but would never ne alowe to be reged in the dkv sniff snif
No German testing club allows non FCI dogs to enter tests.
There can be a special exceptions, very special exceptions.

I don't know of any DK breeder who will say (some) GSPs are not as good as DKs, not that all DK are good either.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

Cora's Shadow wrote:I think that people get carried away arguing over what constitutes a "breed" or a "line". What really matters is what folks expect when they buy a dog. Some GWPs, Spinones, and WPGs look alike, and yet we have very different expectations for each of those dogs. Whether you believe they are different breeds or not, it sounds like most everyone can agree that there are differences between DKs and GSPs. The breeders are striving for different characteristics in both looks and performance. Since they all originally came from DKs imported from Germany, there are bound to be similarities that exist today. So yes, there are certainly similarities between the two breeds/lines. But since there are some big differences in not only the physical make-up of the dog but all the expectations for each dog, the two are called by different names.

Personally, I think calling a dog a DK just helps out the potential puppy buyer or other folks in easily identifying what the pup should be. In my mind, its similar to calling a dog an English Setter instead of a Llewellin Setter. Would most people consider those 2 dogs different breeds? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is that when you are shopping for a Llewellin pup, you have different expectations than when you are shopping for an English Setter pup. They all came from the same place, but we are seeing quite a bit of divergence in the breed as folks selectively breed dogs. So instead of arguing over why GSPs and DKs have different names, we should be thankful that breeders use a different name to make it easy for us to see that there are different expectations for the pups. That way, those of you who prefer the American dogs can easily avoid DK lines. And folks who prefer the German breeding system can easily avoid GSP lines.
Well said! Seems to be a some strange tension between the two groups that, IMO, is childish and silly. If you want DK characteristics and you think that will produce a better gun dog go for it, and vice versa. Arguing that one breed is better or complaining that the other guys won't let you join their special club make both sides very unappealing. You got your GSP for your own reasons and they got their DK for their own reasons. Just leave it at that!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:29 am

adogslife wrote:DogNewbie,
Are you his agent?
Haha, I didn't realize I could be getting paid for posting on this forum! Not a bad idea. But in all seriousness, if you look back at my posts I have been criticizing both sides. I think its strange that an issue as small as this (I would argue a non-issue) has sparked vonzepplin to attack you right out of the gates and in turn you took his bait and started throwing snide remarks right back at him. Like I said, seems childish. And perhaps I'm missing out on an inside joke between the two of you and you're actually fine with each other, but from an outsiders eyes, it looks like both of you are trying pretty hard to get under the others skin....and since you both represent your respective organizations, it also appears that there is a similar tension between the larger communities of DK and GSP owners/breeders, which again, in my eyes is silly. You said yourself that you don't know a DK breeder that would say a GSP is not or could not be as good as a DK. I agree! Vonzepplin says he thinks its BS that he can't run his dog in DK events, or register his GSP as a DK. Personally I think, who cares? If he wants in, buy a DK pup. It's as simple as that. He did his research and bought a GSP. I'm sure he's happy with that choice, so what's the problem?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am

gpblitz wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:Well said! Seems to be a some strange tension between the two groups that, IMO, is childish and silly. If you want DK characteristics and you think that will produce a better gun dog go for it, and vice versa. Arguing that one breed is better or complaining that the other guys won't let you join their special club make both sides very unappealing. You got your GSP for your own reasons and they got their DK for their own reasons. Just leave it at that!
+1 Personally I'd like to run a German test just to see how we stack up. Different for different folks. Enjoy your dogs..
Question from the Peanut Gallery! Is there or has there ever been an American bred KS?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 am

Vonzepplin says he thinks its BS that he can't run his dog in DK events, or register his GSP as a DK.
It's this feeling of exclusion that I mentioned in another post.
It gets under some people's skin.
A DK can run in any venue,buy DK and experience it all.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:45 am

gpblitz wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Is there or has there ever been an American bred KS?
Yes!!!
Could you possibly name the dog, please? I thought there had been in the past, but the research is daunting as I don't read German and their English provision on the DK sites is marginal. It's like they give you the option, but only provide an introduction to each section in English.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:46 am

adogslife wrote:
Vonzepplin says he thinks its BS that he can't run his dog in DK events, or register his GSP as a DK.
It's this feeling of exclusion that I mentioned in another post.
It gets under some people's skin.
A DK can run in any venue,buy DK and experience it all.
Exactly. If you don't want to be excluded, buy DK. It's not personal. Its not like any breeder is going to look at a buyer and say "ummmm no, I don't think I'll sell to you. You look more like a GSP kinda person." Silly! That being said, I'm realizing vonzep said he had to leave so I don't want to make any more assumptions about his stance when he cannot defend himself.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 am

gpblitz wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:Well said! Seems to be a some strange tension between the two groups that, IMO, is childish and silly. If you want DK characteristics and you think that will produce a better gun dog go for it, and vice versa. Arguing that one breed is better or complaining that the other guys won't let you join their special club make both sides very unappealing. You got your GSP for your own reasons and they got their DK for their own reasons. Just leave it at that!
+1 Personally I'd like to run a German test just to see how we stack up. Different for different folks. Enjoy your dogs..
Oh god! Could you imagine the sh*t storm that would rain down once one breed was declared the winner!! :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 am

DogNewbie wrote:
Are you his agent?
Haha, I didn't realize I could be getting paid for posting on this forum! Not a bad idea. But in all seriousness, if you look back at my posts I have been criticizing both sides. I think its strange that an issue as small as this (I would argue a non-issue) has sparked vonzepplin to attack you right out of the gates and in turn you took his bait and started throwing snide remarks right back at him. Like I said, seems childish. And perhaps I'm missing out on an inside joke between the two of you and you're actually fine with each other, but from an outsiders eyes, it looks like both of you are trying pretty hard to get under the others skin....and since you both represent your respective organizations, it also appears that there is a similar tension between the larger communities of DK and GSP owners/breeders, which again, in my eyes is silly. You said yourself that you don't know a DK breeder that would say a GSP is not or could not be as good as a DK. I agree! Vonzepplin says he thinks its BS that he can't run his dog in DK events, or register his GSP as a DK. Personally I think, who cares? If he wants in, buy a DK pup. It's as simple as that. He did his research and bought a GSP. I'm sure he's happy with that choice, so what's the problem?
Being a newbee you were not around for the first debates. If you had been you might have a better understanding where everyone is coming from and you would have a better understanding of the subject and the people taking part.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 am

DogNewbie wrote:
gpblitz wrote:
Oh god! Could you imagine the sh*t storm that would rain down once one breed was declared the winner!! :lol:
There are no winners. It's a test. Objective, not subjective. :roll:

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 am

You also find some American FT blood behind a couple of KS DK's. For a short time a few select dogs were allowed to be used as studs.
Not sure if FT dogs produced dogs who went back to Germany to earn the KS title.Maybe.

The NADKC, in it's infancy here in America , with much oposition, allowed certain AKC dogs to test, those that fulfilled all the requirments were allowed to breed to DKs bitches.This was done in an attempt to get the DK off the ground here in America.
This limited practice was ended for good reasons.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:03 am

gpblitz wrote:FC PJ Wilfire. Riverwoods was allowed to do this. I'm thinking you'll find PJ in KS Chance vom Riverwoods pedigree.

Indeed! How cool is that!?! Thanks!

(Pedigree format still sux to read, though :mrgreen: )

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:04 am

I don't think Chance vom Riverwoods has any Ft dogs in his pedigree.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:05 am

adogslife wrote:I don't think Chance vom Riverwoods has any Ft dogs in his pedigree.
You think wrong.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 am

ezzy333 wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:
Are you his agent?
Being a newbee you were not around for the first debates. If you had been you might have a better understanding where everyone is coming from and you would have a better understanding of the subject and the people taking part.

Ezzy
Fair enough, but that doesn't make it any less childish IMO.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 am

I just looked at the pedigree, what generation?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am

Cajun Casey wrote: There are no winners. It's a test. Objective, not subjective. :roll:
You don't think people will start to analyze those test results to "declare" which breed is truly superior? Maybe it's just been a long week and my trust in mankind is dwindling :)

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am

Sorry, don't see it.
Does it say PJ Wildfire?

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 am

Now I see it. Hard the eyes.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am

I can't say for sure. I was told the dogs were required to test.
I have confidence that they chose qualified dogs to breed.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh god! Could you imagine the sh*t storm that would rain down once one breed was declared the winner!!
It's how a dog works against a standard.
I've seen NAVHDA dogs who would do well in the German system.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:08 pm

adogslife wrote:
You also find some American FT blood behind a couple of KS DK's. For a short time a few select dogs were allowed to be used as studs.
Not sure if FT dogs produced dogs who went back to Germany to earn the KS title.Maybe.

The NADKC, in it's infancy here in America , with much oposition, allowed certain AKC dogs to test, those that fulfilled all the requirments were allowed to breed to DKs bitches.This was done in an attempt to get the DK off the ground here in America.
This limited practice was ended for good reasons.
So then the DK in America was founded with what is said not to be the same breed by you all....C'mon, then tell me the difference between the two. Really, you can't answer this because they are one in the same.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:17 pm

And just where did that GSP blood come from and what years was this taking place?
Best do yer research sir as I have done, it is listed in several breed books. Dude, my wife is german, mom in law is east berliner I can get german anything anytime I wish, love them cherry liqure filled chocolates :) my wifes uncle is allowed to carry a gun and shoot game, he explained the process to me. I wont be moving any time soon, America is somewhat free in the respect we can do as we wish.

As for the nadkc thing, I had called a breeder had 2 KS dogs out of hege haus line wanted 1800 and I had a list of things to do before I got the afental or whatever it is spelled we call it a pedegree. I asked about the fci reg she was all over that with a team of lawyers etc....

5 years ago i was invited to run my female in a test outside of Perry Iowa, a Dr. had a dog there he was so kind and very nice unlike most other DK folks.

Best crack open a book and stay off these internets, you wont learn much of value :)

I got a copy of the herr siger books. There is also another by a gal not the latest one but one written in the 50s explains the american to german breeding for the lines.

Now if everyone could set theior ego aside and just watch the dogs work you will find they are facinating to watch, to see the gifts God gave them at work. Thats what I am all about.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm

So then the DK in America was founded with what is said not to be the same breed by you all....C'mon, then tell me the difference between the two. Really, you can't answer this because they are one in the same.
The DK in America was not founded by AKC GSPs.
The difference has been stated by others in this thread.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 pm

markj,
you missed my point on where did the dogs come from.

That Dr. was being polite. He was letting you run a mock test. Hats off to the good Dr.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I think this is about the 33rd time this has been debated. Frankly, it was tiresome by the 3rd time.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:39 pm

That Dr. was being polite. He was letting you run a mock test. Hats off to the good Dr
And you know this how?? :) He was as interested in how she did as I was. To see if she had the same Natural Abilities as them DKs. If you ask around, you will find a few old timers that will let a AKC dog run as a evaluation. I am not a newbie sir, been in shorthairs since the 60s. Seen a lot of good dogs in the field.

Go over to tteh hunting forum and read about a young shorthair blood tracked a deer.

Blood tracking, it isnt just for DKs :) btw, deutshe kurzhaar means german shorthair really, it does... :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

I think this is about the 33rd time this has been debated. Frankly, it was tiresome by the 3rd time
The newbies need a reference page with all these old arguements for them to browse over.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:48 pm

I think it's great to know that more than four generations really doesn't mean much. :)

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:37 pm

markj,
what test and what age was the dog at the time?
In order for you to run the mock test (evaluation) several people need to agree to this.I seriously doubt that the judges would want to evaluate,for the sake of evaluation, a GSP that will not add to their breeding programs.

With all honesty, I can't recall the name of one serious DK owner or breeder who really gives a hoot about how a GSP stacks up.
If the DR. was truely interested then I wonder why, because he should already know the answer, many GSPs stack up rather nicely.
Maybe he was calling your bluff?

Did your dog run the test?

I know from other boards that you inquire about DK litters and have yet to buy.
Have you purchased a DK pup?

You seem to be buying into the notion that someone on this thread claimed the GSP can not perform like a DK.

Yes,indeed.German Shorthair, not German Shorthaired Pointer.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm gald for once its not DD vs GWP :D :D :D
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:24 pm

gpblitz wrote:By the ped I posted PJ wildfire was not used as stud. A daughter of his G-T Heide was bred to KS Ex v Pottsiepen.
Well, apparently Sport didn't do too much damage to the bloodline.

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Can't believe this conversation hasn't gone further into the Deutsch Drahthaar and German Wirehair comparison as well. Wait, I'm going for popcorn and waiting for reply's. Just so I am on the right side of the debate, I have a Deutsch Drahthaar and a GSP. Both young dogs that will be heading to the midwest with me towards the end of next week for their first wild bird season. Looking forward to seeing if one or the other is more productive. To be fair, I have known the bloodlines on the GSP for many years and pretty well knew what to expect. The Drahthaar is a new experience for me.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 am

With folks failing to take a hint, I'm closing the thread. The horse was dead a long time ago. Further flailing is a waste of bandwidth.