Protecting your dogs paws?

quanah labs

Protecting your dogs paws?

Post by quanah labs » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Last week while dove hunting with my 5 month old YLF she punctured her paw on something. The puncture wound was between the pads right in the center of the paw. I did not even notice it untill the next morning when I went out to feed her and I noticed her paw was swollen. I treated it and kept her off it for a couple of days and it healed up nice, but it got me thinking of the best way to proctect her paws.

I am planning a pheasant hunt in a couple of months in Kansas and she is the only dog I am taking so I'm worried that a similiar injury up in Kansas would absolutely ruin our hunt. So my question is what should I do to protect her wheels?

Should I get her boots, or will the boots never allow her paws to toughen up on there own, and are they hard for a young dog to get used to?

I have heard of some sprays that supposedly create a layer of protection, but I don't know if they work?

I read a thread from the RTF a few days ago about giving the dog a zinc supplement that will make the paws tougher but again I have no idea if that works, and even if it did make the pads tougher it would not have helped her last week because what ever stabbed her went in between her pads.

I would really appreciate hearing how you guys go about protecting your dogs paws, Thanks.

hustonmc

Re: Protecting your dogs paws?

Post by hustonmc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 am

Just curious, but isn't having a kennel name of quanah in Texas, kinda like having a kennel in NewYork called BinLaden kennels. Since commanches killed more Americans then any single enemy in American history???? Not trying to be a prick, just find it ironic there is a town of Nocona and Quanah in Texas.

As for the question at hand, seems like an unfortunate accident. We can't protect from everything. The pad coats are more for dogs running off their pads on frozen ground and rocks. A stick and a thorn will puncture regardless. Could always try boots, my guess she'll find a way to get them off. Good luck on your hunt.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 am

hustonmc wrote:Just curious, but isn't having a kennel name of quanah in Texas, kinda like having a kennel in NewYork called BinLaden kennels. Since commanches killed more Americans then any single enemy in American history???? Not trying to be a prick, just find it ironic there is a town of Nocona and Quanah in Texas.

As for the question at hand, seems like an unfortunate accident. We can't protect from everything. The pad coats are more for dogs running off their pads on frozen ground and rocks. A stick and a thorn will puncture regardless. Could always try boots, my guess she'll find a way to get them off. Good luck on your hunt.
I think comparing a small group of indigenous people trying to protect their right to live as they had lived for thousands of years to Bin Laden is pretty ridiculous. For the most part, the Comanche were well respected traders. Many of the Spanish horses that the US and French armies had were bought from Comanche tribes than would transport the horses from Mexico all the way up to Canada. Of course that was before they were driven from their lands. The reality of the American Indian and the Hollywood version are two very different stories. Also, where did you get your stats on the Comanche killing more Americans than any single enemy? I find that hard to believe. Could you share this statistic with me? Thanks!

I've found getting my pup accustomed to wearing booties as easy and giving him a treat for each bootie I put on. Makes him like wearing them. If he tried to get them off it was more out of curiosity than disliking them so getting him to stop was really easy. Good luck!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:31 am

I haven't hunted Kansas, but the Dakota's will tear a dog up. Not the pads as much as between the toes. I've gone to 1000 denier cordura from dogbooties.com. Cheap and they do a nice job.

I should mention this: don't just put the boots on the dog. First wrap the leg in vetwrap, then put the boot on and tape it in place with 1" strips of duct tape. Then they'll stay on.

Kind of like this. You can see how much she likes being booted.

LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 am

I should have guessed this would happen :(. First the Commanche were not a small group. Tens of thousands of Commanche controlling an area roughly 240,000 square miles seems pretty large to me. Also the word peaceful didn't work to well with a tribe of Indians that was just as violent twoards enemy tribes as they were americans. Actually if you want to get into facts. The only reason Americans ended up with the great plains was the Commanche fought off the French and Spanish for hundreds of years before we ever crossed the Mississippi. The reason the death toll was so high is the Commanche wars strung out for about 40 years. There tatic to keep people from entering their land was to mutalate, slaughter as many trespassers they could, hopefully scaring off the others. Unlike the others the Americans had manifest destiny in mind and kept pushing through. Thus the killing continued.

I'm not saying there killing wasn't justified, though they were pretty excessive. It was their land they had a right to defend it. I just find it odd that we would glamorize and Hollywoodize one of the darkest periods in our history. So If you Want to argue facts, I suggest you read. "Empire of the Summer Moon" welcome to PM me and dicuss after you read the book. I admire their courage, I would do the same.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:14 am

hustonmc wrote:I should have guessed this would happen :(. First the Commanche were not a small group. Tens of thousands of Commanche controlling an area roughly 240,000 square miles seems pretty large to me. Also the word peaceful didn't work to well with a tribe of Indians that was just as violent twoards enemy tribes as they were americans. Actually if you want to get into facts. The only reason Americans ended up with the great plains was the Commanche fought off the French and Spanish for hundreds of years before we ever crossed the Mississippi. The reason the death toll was so high is the Commanche wars strung out for about 40 years. There tatic to keep people from entering their land was to mutalate, slaughter as many trespassers they could, hopefully scaring off the others. Unlike the others the Americans had manifest destiny in mind and kept pushing through. Thus the killing continued.

I'm not saying there killing wasn't justified, though they were pretty excessive. It was their land they had a right to defend it. I just find it odd that we would glamorize and Hollywoodize one of the darkest periods in our history. So If you Want to argue facts, I suggest you read. "Empire of the Summer Moon" welcome to PM me and dicuss after you read the book. I admire their courage, I would do the same.
Haha, I think we in fact have very similar views. I was actually going to PM you an interview with the author of "Empire of the Summer Moon." Looking back at my post I'm realizing I did a very poor job of explaining my point. :oops: The Comanche were hands down the most brutal tribe towards American settlers and commonly practiced the killing of woman and children during their raids. My point is that my own ancestors did the exact same thing, but while conquering lands...I'm Norwegian btw. All I was saying was that I believe there is a big difference between the Comanche and Bin Laden and if someone were to compare the vikings to a modern terrorist group I'd have the same reaction. As for the population, I suppose that would depend on the time period we're talking about since their population dramatically fluctuated from the beginnings of European influence on their culture. I'm such a thread stealer :oops: Apologies to the OP.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:46 am

Bin Laden was maybe to much and still fresh. I just find it odd that their is a town of Quanah and Nocona in Texas. But to play devils advocate we have many towns and cities named after murdering fore fathers. Nothing against you at all Quanah labs, the name does speak of determination and relentlessness. Just find it ironic, gave my 2 cents

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks for the history lesson, your comparison to Quanah Parker and Bin Laden pretty much proves how much you really know. Quanah Parker was an amazing man so maybe you should do a little research before spewing such ignorance.

Just like every freaking thread on this site, off topic after a couple post ( or in this case after one post) and onto personal attacks by keyboard tough guys that seems to know everything.

I just want to find out what my options are for protecting my pups paws! Thanks to all of you who took the time to actually answer my question.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Strange forum for racist views of Indians. Who cares? The past is the past. We invaded them. What would you have done?

This is supposed to be about dog paws, right?

I also think that a person's internet name is his own "bleep" business.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 pm

I'd keep your eye out on your pups foot. Could acquire Nocardiosis. Its basically an uncommon infection in dogs and cats. Most commonly from cheat grass, The organism is a soil saprophyte that enters the body through contamination of wounds (such as thcaustic on your dove hunt) or respiratory inhalation. The cutaneous form results in chronic nonhealing wounds often accompanied by fistulous tracts. Look for the reappearance of swelling on or above the area affected.

I never did make a personal attack or make a racist comment. Just asked a simple question, actually got a few interesting messages agreeing and sharing other odd history. Appreciate those, love American west history.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I have also had good luck with dogbooties.com, they are rather inexpensive in case you lose any and not hard to put on.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 am

Duct tape works fine. Its not very expensive and if you forget it stop by any store and pick some up. Tape over the foot
after a while the pads will wear through and the dog won't slip. Back wrap the first layer around the ankel to help with
removal. Also you can buy It in all kinds of cool colors.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:57 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I haven't hunted Kansas, but the Dakota's will tear a dog up. Not the pads as much as between the toes. I've gone to 1000 denier cordura from dogbooties.com. Cheap and they do a nice job.

I should mention this: don't just put the boots on the dog. First wrap the leg in vetwrap, then put the boot on and tape it in place with 1" strips of duct tape. Then they'll stay on.

Kind of like this. You can see how much she likes being booted.

Thanks for the advice! I love that picture!