Any LA area hunters on this site?

yougots2chill

Any LA area hunters on this site?

Post by yougots2chill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:17 am

I'm new to this hobby. I'm planning on joining the Socal chapter of NAVHDA to learn and meet people, but i'm curious to know about local hunting spots in the Los Angeles area and the people who hunt them. Thanks guys..

helpful_cub

Re: Any LA area hunters on this site?

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 pm

yougots2chill wrote:I'm new to this hobby. I'm planning on joining the Socal chapter of NAVHDA to learn and meet people, but i'm curious to know about local hunting spots in the Los Angeles area and the people who hunt them. Thanks guys..
First of all the NAVHDA won't have anything to do with you unless your dog is papered. I know its a pain but that's the way they are. Hopefully you have the original AKC papers, they don't take a PAL.

What kind of hunting are you thinking of doing? If your willing to drive a little we have access to all kinds of hunting: upland birds, ducks, deer, bear, pigs, coyotes, etc.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I think he is looking at buying a dog from the NAVHDA trainer in the inland empire...

You should come out to some of the hunt tests that are starting in November. There is also a Brittany trial in auanga November 5. San jaciento has two hunt tests mid to late November. It's a good time to get out and watch some dogs and see what level you would want yours trained to. I think brad, garrison, and I will be out watching some dog work and messing around. Feel free to show up.

yougots2chill

Post by yougots2chill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm looking to do some upland bird hunting. I dont mind driving, as I do a lot of it already to ride motocross. I'm looking forward to checking out the GSP hunt tests in Rosamond at the end of the month. I'm in Woodland hills btw...

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:48 pm

yougots2chill wrote:I'm looking to do some upland bird hunting. I dont mind driving, as I do a lot of it already to ride motocross. I'm looking forward to checking out the GSP hunt tests in Rosamond at the end of the month. I'm in Woodland hills btw...
I'm kind of envyous because your so close to Los Padres and the beach. But anyways, on to the birds!

For Mountain Quail I would look Angeles Nation Forest, they're around water and usually above 4000 foot elevation. They are also in San Bernardino but those mountains can't really be hiked at those altitudes, they're to steep. You'll hear them long before you ever see them, if you see them at all. When the snow line drops below 4000 is usually the best time to get at them because you don't have to fight the Manzanita bushes they use for cover. The Angeles also have Valley Quail if you can find the water.

For more dry quail, the like the common Desert Quail there's lots around Three Points and the northern edge of the Angeles. If you are willing to drive, Red Mountain has tons of quail but is usually a very popular hunting location. I found a convey of 20 birds there on Saturday.

For Chukar I highly recommend the San Bernardino National Forest. They like to be dryer than quail but thankfully lower in altitude and less cover than Mountain Quail. Just be warned, you will hike your butt off trying to get them. To hunt Chukar is to know pain and fustration.

For Pheasant your going to have a long drive. They like to live in farm lands. Here's a good map of their range. So far I haven't found where their range over-laps with public land.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 94U4MYtYZw

If you'd like to start easy then you can buy Chukar and Pheasants west of Lancaster at Antelope Valley Sportsman's Club. I did this to double check that my pup was ready for his first season. I think it was $90 for 5 Chukar or $95 for 3 Pheasants. They're not wild, but the Chukar held beutifully for his pointing.

http://www.avschunt.com/

More advice I would offer is visit the BLM website and buy maps. Any place you think that you may hunt in, buy the map. BLM does a very good job of documenting what is BLM, National Forest, Private land, etc. I've actually found the BLM maps more useful that the Forest Service maps. Let me know if your interested in going out at some point. I plan to take Fridays off from work for the next several weeks to hunt while others are stuck at work. :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I know where you can buy 10 chukar for $80.00 plant them yourself and shoot them.. or 10 pigeons for 30. There is a lot of training land in the inland empire and someone just showed me another track with a guzzler.. and its less then 10 min from my house.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:57 pm

ultracarry wrote:I know where you can buy 10 chukar for $80.00 plant them yourself and shoot them.. or 10 pigeons for 30. There is a lot of training land in the inland empire and someone just showed me another track with a guzzler.. and its less then 10 min from my house.
My friend! Do share more details please. :mrgreen:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 pm

I'll send you a pm.

EK Cottontop

Post by EK Cottontop » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:19 pm

We used to hunt BLM land just southwest of Bakersfield for chukar and quail. We also hunted outside of Victorville and Apple Valley.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:59 pm

yougots2chill wrote:I'm new to this hobby. I'm planning on joining the Socal chapter of NAVHDA to learn and meet people, but i'm curious to know about local hunting spots in the Los Angeles area and the people who hunt them. Thanks guys..
Let's get one thing straight Bud, this is not a hobby, it's a life style! Your gonna love it! :mrgreen: Welcome to GDF! :D
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:15 pm

DonF. This is an addiction that creates a life style. Loving every minute of it.

yougots2chill

Post by yougots2chill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 pm

I know about NAVHDA for GSP owners (and other breeds) but for who do the people with English pointers train with? I noticed none of the trials are in this area

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 pm

yougots2chill wrote:I know about NAVHDA for GSP owners (and other breeds) but for who do the people with English pointers train with? I noticed none of the trials are in this area
You have an EP? Not saying you can't, but I don't know that I'd go the NAVHDA route with an EP. Depends on what you want to do/hunt I guess. For you EP guys I'm not saying EP's can't do NAVHDA stuff. It's usually not the route taken. Btw, there is no AF stuff here in socal.

yougots2chill

Post by yougots2chill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm getting a pup in the next month or so. I'm leaning towards a GSP but have not ruled out an EP...

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Considering the game out here either would work just fine. If you want trial, you'll have to dual register the pup. No big deal.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 am

yougots2chill wrote:I'm getting a pup in the next month or so. I'm leaning towards a GSP but have not ruled out an EP...
GSP worked out for me. He helps me track big game, loves pointing bird and seems to love water retrieving. I may never duck hunt, but it's nice to know he likes it and has the huge mouth for it. From what I've seen, EP are a little smaller and more built for running all day. Since I don't run a kennel or have the time to train multiple dogs, having just one versatile worked best for me.

That reminds me, since your in the LA area you may want to look into the rescue groups. I know GSP Rescue has several dogs right now looking for a good home and some really cute puppies. I know there's also a Pointer Rescue but I don't volunteer as much with them. They handle all of the Pointers that aren't GSPs.

http://gsp-rescue.org/
http://www.pointerrescue.org/available.html