You ever find strange pigeons in your coop?

Keith White

You ever find strange pigeons in your coop?

Post by Keith White » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 am

Went out this morning and grabbed a few birds and head out to the field. One of the birds I grabbed had leg bands that are not mine. One of the bands are red and is the type that you put on at like 3 days old and the other is a blue snap on band no number. I guess its safe to assume its a homer from the bands on its legs? Is it pretty common for strange birds to take up residence in your coop?

Vision

Re: You ever find strange pigeons in your coop?

Post by Vision » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:49 am

Not during race season. They are flying young birds now. Most flyers loose around 50-70% of their young birds each year.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04 am

You can find out whose bird it is if you go to lost pigeon on the internet. It's always nice to let people know you have the bird and many times they will tell you to just keep it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 am

Every once in a while I have a lost homer stop in. I usually just leave them be and let them come and go with my birds and they normally leave in two or three days. This would be my first year with honest homer's and I have lost three. I think they got it from a hawk. One was a really pertty red check.

I got leg bands for mine that have my name, city and phone number on them. Got a couple on about a day to soon and they ended up with no band!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!