coyotes

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

coyotes

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:06 am

Last night there was a T.V. programme about coyotes and the attacks they have made on pets and on people. Is it really as bad as that in the U.S. ? I wondered if the programme producers had maybe sensationilised the whole thing a bit just to make for better viewing figures.

Very occasionally we hear of foxes doing this in Britain , we have a lot of foxes right inside the towns but attacks on anything larger than a cat are very uncommon.

I became a bit confused during the programme about coyotes . It stated near the start that they weighed about 30 lbs, but later on said they grew to nearly double that weight in the eastern states. Which of these things is true ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Birddog3412

Re: coyotes

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:32 am

Ive seen and killed them in the 30 to 60 lb range. They very in size, and sometimes look alot bigger in the winter when they have a full coat of hair. The very in color from light brown to very dark, almost black. My uncle has one mounted and it looks black. I have never seen any first hand attacks, but two years ago I was running a couple of dogs off my 4wheeler and a big male coyote came out of nowhere and was running with us, within 30 yards. I yelled at the dogs and took them back to the house. I went and got a shotgun and he was waiting on me when I got back. I got within 20 yards of him but he didnt move until I dropped the shotgun, hed been shot at before, but wont have to worry about him anymore. I have called in as many as 9 in one hunt, and that is only the ones I could see, I assume there were some I did not see.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:41 am

There are occasional reports of yotes attacking people; the last one I remember a child was the victim and his grandfather was bitten trying to protect the kid.

Down the road from me, a lady was having her morning coffee out on her deck, and a yote came out of the woods and snatched her dog right in front of her.

Right behind my house I've seen coyotes which at first glance I mistook for scrawny German Shepards, and I've seen large ones along the road, too. Local news reports of kills by hunters put them in the 45 pound range.

When I've travelled west, the ones I saw there were smaller.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 am

I would think normally, the attack on a human is more rabies related. We have seen reports of them going after people but no real injuries. The coyote was killed and tested positive for rabies. They have come into back yards and snatched ankle biters. Never heard of a bigger dog getting taken by one. We used to have several out at the club i hunt at and quite a few were black or dark brown and around the 40-50 lb range. We see very few now. We made it our mission to exterminate them.

We have a higher number of deer out here and most does have multiple fawns with each breeding and there are plenty of fawns to chase.

Joe

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 am

Here in Maine: You see a wide array of sizes. The largest I have seen my self was dead at 65 pounds, They are regularly in the 50's. Very seldom see them less than 40 as an adult.

I know of two instances where folks have been attacked non rabid animals.

I have had them circle me but not attack from in the bushes. Dexter was with me and it was getting dark. I had all I could do to hold Dexter back. He was PO'ED Was a bit unnerving. Dexter was a 65 pound fit brittany. Most mile mannered dog except for deer, porkies, moose, and coyotes.

I have them come into my yard regularly, mostly around my bird pens. Don't often see them but here them and see their sign. Had a whole pack near the house the other morning.

Coyotes are one of the most adaptable animals there are.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 am

Last nights T.V. programme said the the larger coyotes were actually coyote x wolf hybrids. But these are hybrids which can successfully breed. It claimed that although wolves would normally kill coyotes if wolves were very few in numbers then a female in heat would sometimes accept a coyote sire. It seems DNA tests prove this. Three skulls were shown - wolf - hybrid - coyote . The hybrid skull was almost exactly a halfway house in size between the wolf and the coyote. The hybrid had considerably larger teeth than the coyote and their spacing was very slightly different too.
It is the hybrid that the programme claimed was moving steadily eastwards towards New York.

Bill T.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:19 am

When I had coyote hounds the group I used to run with was good for anywhere from 100-150 yotes a year. id say 60% of them were from 30-50lbs once we put down a bruiser in the 75lb range. Due to the number of coyotes we were killing a local biologist used to spot check the ones we took, and alot of the ones we were killing over the 50lb range he told us were a farm dog hybrid. They seemed to be darker with a very thin undercoat and were generally more aggressive.

Very rarely we will catch wind of a coyote attacking someone on the local news, and by mid to late winter when the snow has everything covered up youll hear about someone losing a lamb or a small calf, and they play heck on the local turkey farms, but coyotes in general get alot of bad press. The problem is that there are just SO many of them.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:22 am

We have had these larger coyotes since the 70's. Not sure all of the larger coyotes are hybrids, although, there is obvious evidence in some as you stated.

These coyotes around here regularly take adult deer, especially in the winter, out of yarding areas etc.

The populations have increase because of less hunters, and they removed the bounties on them.

Rick

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:13 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:alot of the ones we were killing over the 50lb range he told us were a farm dog hybrid.
Trekmoor wrote:It claimed that although wolves would normally kill coyotes if wolves were very few in numbers then a female in heat would sometimes accept a coyote sire
We have a large number of coyotes out here in Idaho, but not as many as we had before the wolf introductions in Yellowstone NP and the wilderness area in central Idaho. I work for one of the federal land management agencies as a biologist and work with a lot of the ranchers, farmers and recreation guides in the area. I would say the bigger coyotes were dog X coyote rather than wolf X coyote crosses for two reasons. Wolves are very tough on coyotes. They are bigger and more of a pack animal that will gang up on lone coyotes. Most farm dog breeds, other than large guard dog breeds like Pyrenees, are roughly the same size as a coyote and unless trained to be so far less aggressive towards them. There are also more dogs than wolves as you move east where these hybrids seem to be showing up.

We don't have many coyote attacks on humans in the Great Basin/Intermountain West. Coyotes are still classified as predators and most ranchers and alot hunters still shoot them on site which makes for coyotes fear of humans much greater than say in S. California where they are often considered cute suburban wildlife.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:20 am

I shot one around 60lbs 2 years ago. I live in SE Ohio. When they get to running and ypiing it makes your skin crawl.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:34 am

My neighbor lost a 60lb chessie and a rott. They cornered them in a horse corral.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 am

Are the coyotes killing dogs to eat them or because they see them as competition for territory and for the food resources ?

Bill T.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:44 am

Trekmoor wrote:Are the coyotes killing dogs to eat them or because they see them as competition for territory and for the food resources ?
I would say territorial disputes. Now cats on the other hand I think are on the menu and possibly small dogs.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 am

we got em something fierce these days 2 years ago they nearly killed my 120lb boxer trying to get to some pups we had in the garage, and just last weekend i went to help the neighbor find his whitetail bowkill(my weim tracks wounded deer) he was worried about the shot he made but it turned out the shot was fine the deer only ran 100yds and he waited 2 1/2 hrs before we went back just to check for blood when we found the big buck had his back half already devoured by coyotes

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:02 am

Most folks in my area grossly overestimate the size of coyotes. Assuming they are German Sherpherd size which in this area is not the case. Most in this part of the country (Oklahoma) will go 25-40 lbs but look much heavier in the winter. They are pretty easy to call in for the most part, but the most fun is running them with stags.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 am

Coop:
What is a stag? Not deer in this case right?

I met a fellar in KA that uses Afgan, deer hound, grey hounds, wolf hounds etc and any mix there of to hunt coyotes. He had one that ran down a 35lp coyote and he was by him self ( I think it was an Afgan cross). The coyote and the hound fought, He ended up shooting the coyote but the coyote broke the jaw of the hound.

Rick

Rick

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Coop:

I met a fellar in KA that uses Afgan, deer hound, grey hounds, wolf hounds etc and any mix there of to hunt coyotes. He had one that ran down a 35lp coyote and he was by him self ( I think it was an Afgan cross). The coyote and the hound fought, He ended up shooting the coyote but the coyote broke the jaw of the hound.

Rick
Those Afgans are really cool dogs. I only recently learned about the breed on a Nova or Nature (one of those PBS shows) special of all things. Amazing adaptions to survive in the desert. Here in MN coyotes are unprotected so we don't need a license to shoot them. There's also no limit and an open season. Is that the same elsewhere?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 am

We used to hunt them in kansas with a pack of Greyhounds to run them and an English Shepard as a kill dog. Got a lot of them where there were few fences. Was fun to see the hounds run the coyotes in a circle and bring them back to the shepard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 am

I used to run coyotes with a guy in OK. He would run 2 males to tire the yote out and then Release a bitch to kill. He told me you never run a male kill because if the yote is in heat he will have other intentions. he ran all grey hounds. If you get the chance to see it. Go for it. Truly amazing to watch.

Joe.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 am

One of my setters was closely pursued by a coyote with obvious intent to attack the dog. A 35 Whelen ended the footrace. They often kill dogs in suburban areas in the West. Probably do so everywhere they roam.

In general, farmers like coyotes because they help control mice, pocket gophers and other destructive pests. Ranchers are not so fond of them, and many shoot them on sight.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:55 am

There is a vet that lives down the road, he keeps two Borzois locked in the barn all day and only lets them out to run the fence line at night. No more coyote problems on his property, those things are land sharks.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:22 am

Southern California has a ton of them. I saw one in the middle of san bernardino (pretty big city) . I think a lot of problems have occurred in places like China hills where kids have been attacked while they were in their back yard. A lot more coyote attacks have been in san Diego and Newport area where people are getting between the little dog and a yote.

The places don't allow hunting and have trapping contracts..... I have a huge pack that rams around the neighborhood. They pick up dead rabies and squirrels off the road, eat avacados, and beak open the pipes in our grove to drink.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:31 am

Anyone hear of dogs getting attacked on the hunting trail?

Greek

Post by Greek » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:59 am

My father-in-law has a pond on his property we where headed back with two dogs a Rottie and a Chessie (Rottie just liked to hang out with us) to try anf get some ducks. I turned around cause I thought I seen what I thought was antoher one of the house dogs, but bolted about 10 yards from me across the field was a large Cyote and I mean large. Jimbo is right in Indiana, especially in NW Hamilton County they run in heards!! I use to work 3rd shift on the Sheriff's Dept and would stop by at night and talk to the local city officers and you could hear them clear as day running the fields in the fall howling like all get out!! To my knowelege at least in Hamilton Co Indiana there have been no attacks on humans, I have take reports on pigs being taken down from them.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:14 am

DogNewbie wrote:Anyone hear of dogs getting attacked on the hunting trail?

Im sure there is someone who has had a dog attacked by a coyote while out running dogs, but my experience is that they want very little to do with dogs (med to large dogs) and less to do with humans. Several times I have busted them in CRP or hunting fence rows with my lab or my GSP and they are quick to move along.

I live in an area where there are a tone of small fields with rough edges, small patches of hard woods, and small broken up family farms with livestock and fowl, i couldnt think of a better area for coyotes, and it is very rare that you hear of some one losing a critter to a yote.... there is alot of speculation and finger pointing but very little proof. heck I hear as many people say they have cougars killing their live stock.

Coyotes get alot of bad press both on screen and in print. The fact that there are so many of them and that they have started to merge with people has caused alot of the BS that you hear and see. People who feel like a walk in a city park is an adventure are starting to see "predators" and it makes them a little nervouse.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Greek

Post by Greek » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:35 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:

heck I hear as many people say they have cougars killing their live stock.
Funny you metion Cougars... about 5-6 years ago there was a big scare in the county just west of me. Folks were calling 911 saying there was a cougar in hier yards. Come to find out THERE WAS. A fella had kept a few exotic animals and his cougar got loose. I believe it got to a family dog too. Was loose for weeks till they finally got a professional tracker to trap it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Rick

Staghounds are running dogs similar to a greyhound and for sure have a heavy dose of GH blood, no doubt they are infused with multiple breeds of running dog but many folks have bred their own "line" for years, and they are bred based on performance only.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/7b2360 ... 1feb_s.jpg

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 pm

Rick

Staghounds are running dogs similar to a greyhound and for sure have a heavy dose of GH blood, no doubt they are infused with multiple breeds of running dog but many folks have bred their own "line" for years, and they are bred based on performance only. You get them in all colors, long hair, wire haired, shorthiard.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I see. thanks, I think that guy I met was kind of in that camp. Would have loved to see them work.

Rick

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I had a yote fall in behind my dogs while hunting up in North Dakota 2 years ago, dunno if he wanted to point a bird or prey on the dogs....I maneuvered so as to cut off some distance and get an angle that did't include my dogs in the sight window, and put a load of #2's in his behind. Didnt hurt him I dont think but he decided to sit up some elevated train tracks and watch is after that, I rounded up the dogs and headed back. He looked like a biggun standing up on the tracks watching.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I live in a timbered area on the edge of town, and we have a healthy coyote population. My pointer has been tackled twice in the past eighteen months, both times during broad daylight, while I was letting him run a bit on the property. The dog escaped unharmed both times, just a few cuts, but I doubt he would have been able to handle the yote had I not intervened. I kept a very close eye on the pup my daughter got last spring whenever he was out of the kennel. We've frequently seen them running around behind our house, marking up the yard, and up near the dog kennels. I'm in the city limits so shooting them isn't an option. The coyotes often harass dog-walkers in the neighborhood as they seem to be very territorial with dogs, but I have to admit that I really enjoy listening to them howl at night, and will miss that sound when they eventually leave due to continued development in the area. I've run across quite a few while hunting, but they've always been going in the opposite direction at about forty miles per hour, never paid much attention to my dogs. A big South Dakota coyote might tip 40 pounds, but most are smaller than that.

jonf1023

Post by jonf1023 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Depending on what part of the Country you're talking about matters when it comes to coyotes size. Yotes from the southwest are much smaller then the Northeast dogs. Some say they are two different strains and the northeast yotes have interbred with wolves in the past. I dont know if this is accurate but I have seen 65 lb coyotes taken in NY and PA while all the ones I've seen out west in Montana and the Dakotas were all under 45 lbs.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 am

ckirsch wrote:I live in a timbered area on the edge of town, and we have a healthy coyote population. My pointer has been tackled twice in the past eighteen months, both times during broad daylight, while I was letting him run a bit on the property. The dog escaped unharmed both times, just a few cuts, but I doubt he would have been able to handle the yote had I not intervened. I kept a very close eye on the pup my daughter got last spring whenever he was out of the kennel. We've frequently seen them running around behind our house, marking up the yard, and up near the dog kennels. I'm in the city limits so shooting them isn't an option. The coyotes often harass dog-walkers in the neighborhood as they seem to be very territorial with dogs, but I have to admit that I really enjoy listening to them howl at night, and will miss that sound when they eventually leave due to continued development in the area. I've run across quite a few while hunting, but they've always been going in the opposite direction at about forty miles per hour, never paid much attention to my dogs. A big South Dakota coyote might tip 40 pounds, but most are smaller than that.
The very first coyotes I ever heard were in the black hills. I think I was about 5 but I can clearly remember the mixed feelings of wonder/mystery and fear/spookiness that those howls gave me. I can see how you'd miss hearing them at night.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 am

Ruffshooter did nail it. 'yotes are among the most adaptable critters on the planet.

I live in a suburb of Pheonix - way too "bleep" many people here. Four times since we've lived in this house, I've seen coyotes on the street cruising somewhere. I think they travel the canal roads. A couple of them had broken legs, probably after a run-in with a car.

We hear reports all the time of 'yotes swiping Yorkies or other small dogs or cats from yards in outerlying areas. They can easily hop 5 foot block walls.

I always enjoy listening to the packs talking to each other up north in the mountains when we are on deer or elk hunts. On a full -moon night, it's quite a concert.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:02 am

Coyotes in Maine have actually interbred with wolves. I read an article about DNA analysis that stated the fact. Maine loses more deer to Coyotes than any other state because of their large size.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:27 pm

"According to Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, there are no wolves in Maine"

That does not include the ones that were allegedly " :? "released from the Wolf reintroduction nut jobs that are actually anti hunters. Even thought twice they were caught with cages in the back of the vehicles, and there were wolf tracks around the vehicle, seen by a warden. There was nothing he could do.

This was in Moosehead.

Not all the large coyotes have been DNA'd as part wolf. And the wolf that a guy shot, because he thought it was a Coyote, was DNA'd to be not full wolf so he did not get in trouble after the fact.

Rick

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Peppered two pups yesterday afternoon while dove hunting. Walked up without a care in the world.....that changed quick!

They are thick as flies where i deer hunt, we shoot them anytime we see them.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:50 am

I have had too many encounters with the Western coyotes. One involved a training run with a Brit bitch in heat (everything turned out ok). A pack will send in an "enticer" to lure the dog from the handler/home and when the dog is far enough from safety, the pack will magically materialize and circle the dog for the kill.

We lost an 8 year old bitch to coyotes in 2006 when she and my IRWS (then a puppy) were out on a training run. They both got out of pocket and were gone as if by magic. (Pre Garmin days). Several hours later the puppy was recovered 7 miles away and Sophie was briefly seen circling civiliation in the area but could not be caught for love or money. We searched that desert for weeks, and weeks, with no success. 2 months after we had finally given up, I got a call from a local hiker with Weims. They had stumbled upon her carcass and the hiker, dear soul that he was, fished Sophie's collar off the bones and called us. At least we had closure. We suspect that that the two had been run down by coyotes and Sophie saved the pup's life. :cry:

Yearlings, almost always male, will get tossed from the pack and those are dangerous. They come along as singletons or in pairs and have no fear. I have had yearlings tag along on training runs on quite a few occassions, many of them keeping just out of sight for most of the time. We saw coyotes (and they still see them) out on the field trial courses in NV, scooping the planted birds as fast as they can be dropped down.
AND I have been tagged via horseback by a rabid coyote. That one was dispatched and confirmed rabid.

Interestingly though, since my move to rural Western PA, I have not seen or heard a single Yote. Neighbors tell me they have etc....but these Eastern coyotes are either quieter or smarter then the Western ones.

rollick

Post by rollick » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:51 pm

"Staghounds are running dogs similar to a greyhound and for sure have a heavy dose of GH blood, no doubt they are infused with multiple breeds of running dog but many folks have bred their own "line" for years, and they are bred based on performance only. You get them in all colors, long hair, wire haired, shorthiard."
I think Stags are what we call Lurchers?

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I was hunting Pheasant at a club where I planted my own birds. I released my 60lb shorthair to start hunting, then I see a yote coming in from my left. I think he may have been watching me plant the birds, may have been picking up the scragglers that weren't killed by other hunters. But any how, the yote seen my dog hunting plain as day and kept moving towards him, my dog wasn't interested and kept hunting (didn't think he noticed) but I shot at the yote and heard a yipe, had to have been within 15 yards of where I planted the bird and about 30 from me, he ran off. That was my first experience with one, haven't seen any more at the club as of late. Like I said, I think it was trying to get after the planted birds. We have lots of them here in Utah and Wyoming. In fact a friend of mine hunts them religiously, I haven't seen any more than 40lb that he has killed.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

rollick wrote:"Staghounds are running dogs similar to a greyhound and for sure have a heavy dose of GH blood, no doubt they are infused with multiple breeds of running dog but many folks have bred their own "line" for years, and they are bred based on performance only. You get them in all colors, long hair, wire haired, shorthiard."
I think Stags are what we call Lurchers?

Very similar, except you will rarely see any non running dog crossed into stags, coyotes are fast and you need a fast dog to catch them. Most folks wont chance crossing in collie (or other non running dog) and risk loosing speed. Though I do know of a few fellas that have crossed in some bull blood and heard about some airedale crosses.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Kelly Talkin Smak was killed by 2 yotes just last year while training in Nevada

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:48 pm

When it comes to fighting a Greyhound couldn't get out of a paper bag but we never saw a point in breeding any other blood into them as theor job was to chase the yote. And I have never seen a yote that wanted to fight if they didn't have to so the hounds would run them to the kill dogs which could be Airdales or shepards and the fight was over before it began. I'm still puzzled with the stories about yotes attacking dogs as my experience has always been they live by being smart as sneeky and the last think they will do is stand and fight. Have had my Brits chase several out of the fields. Took the dogs out today for a run and saw a yote heading across a corn stubble field as hard as he could go. WE have a bunch on the farm in Iowa and the neighbors little JR type terriers that live outside chase them all over.

I have seen a problem with some dog packs being aggressive to the point of killing calfs and cows but the worst I've seen is the yotes getting newborn lambs and I am sure they get some newborm fawns too.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:00 pm

ezzy333 wrote:When it comes to fighting a Greyhound couldn't get out of a paper bag but we never saw a point in breeding any other blood into them as theor job was to chase the yote.
Imagine the benefits of a dog that can catch and kill, they do exist!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:01 pm

This isn't a pic I found somewhere... this is a friend of mine. He goes to my church. He was walking his dog and the coyote attacked it... Still not something you see everyday, but getting more frequent I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:06 pm

ACooper wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:When it comes to fighting a Greyhound couldn't get out of a paper bag but we never saw a point in breeding any other blood into them as theor job was to chase the yote.
Imagine the benefits of a dog that can catch and kill, they do exist!
I agree, jst never was a priority then since everything worked well.

Ezzy

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm still puzzled with the stories about yotes attacking dogs as my experience has always been they live by being smart and sneeky and the last thing they will do is stand and fight.
You are right, if you come head on with a singleton or even a young pair. However, coyotes that live near urban areas have adapted well and learned that dogs, especially smaller ones are easy prey. The bigger dogs too.....at least breeds of non hunting blood make a good game. It's when the Yotes are packed together that they do the most damage.

Lots of dogs that live on the edge of BLM/open country have coyote encounters. Some learn to hate em and stand and fight , and others who think that the Yotes want to play end up being dinner. :( 21 years as a vet tech in Northern Nevada, and I have seen and helped sew up many verified and true coyote attack survivors.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:24 pm

In most parts of the country "packs" of coyotes are pretty rare, usually pairs or singles depending on time of year.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:30 am

8 years ago, I had a young coyote try to decoy one of my dogs. Was in ND and I was hunting a section of CRP...a small yote jumped up no more than 50-60 yds ahead of us and yapped at the dog and then turned and ran. About 1/2 mile later, I saw a mature Yote about 200yds off to my left standing on a slight rise just watching us. Good to have the collar...

We see Coyote up close every year. Dogs seem to push 3 or 4 out of sloughs or dried creek bottoms during our 2-3 week trip. I carry a small gauge drilling a lot now...20 gauge over 5.6x52R (70 grains @2850 ft/sec). Have managed to kill 2 that turned around at 80-100 yds to have another look. Knocked another down with a load of 5's and the dog killed it....dumb move on my part as the dog got chewed on a bit. Will let them run or shoot them at distance...and control the dog.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:16 am

In most parts of the country "packs" of coyotes are pretty rare, usually pairs or singles depending on time of year.
Spring/Summer is "pack" (mating) season. Ever sit on a hill in the NW and listen to the night songs????