Already over deer season.....

jimbo&rooster

Already over deer season.....

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

So deer season in Indiana more or less runs from October through december with a week or 2 here and ther of down time. For the most part this has never really effected me running my dogs since the places I quail hunt are more or less grass lands and field edges with small tree rows that aren't appealing to most deer hunters.

Well Yesterday I decided i was going to try and hit a few low lying woods (on public land) where I tend to train on woodcock in the spring to see if maybe I cant get the dogs on some birds. Of the 5-6 places I went every one of them had at least 1 some 2 deer hunters parked there, and when I went to the local check station to try and sign into one of the FWA areas, they were all signed into again by deer hunters.

It is frustrating to me that deer hunting is such a monopoly around here.....

Sorry folks had to rant.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

pinebrookkennel

Re: Already over deer season.....

Post by pinebrookkennel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 am

Jimbo
There seems to be a lot more deer hunters in the last few years. 15 years ago hardly anybody bow hunted. The outdoor and persuit channel have made it Cool to be a bowhunter, look @ all the cloathing you can buy in camo now. Its good for the sport and hunting revanue but
Please do we realy need a 75 dollar under armor camo sweatshirt. Sorry a little off topic but I totaly agree with you. Its hard to find
a place to hunt unless you buy or lease some land.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Red

Post by Red » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Most hunters are out of the woods by 11 am and back in at 3 pm at least I do, can you go mid day?
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah I can go mid day but then instead of running my dogs for a few hours and then going back to my honey-do's and football i have to make plans to go out at mid day and just assume that life will get in the way by then. I realize im just bitchin and there is no good solution, its just frustrating.

I understand that most people dont have the availability of private land to hunt like I do so they do what they have to, I was just extremely frustrated that every place I went had some SUV with out of county plates.

jim

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I have to hand it to you Jim. A lot of people wanting to use the same space would just invade. After all, they have as much right there as anyone else. Even though it's frustrating, your doing the right thing staying out for now. :D
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:36 pm

You know its kind of funny how most deer hunters would get ticked for you coming and running for s short time near them. The reality is that during mid-day when most deer are pretty reluctant to move - your dogs and you can stir things up a bit for them.

I run dogs on my place and shoot deer right where I run dogs, so I KNOW it has no effect on the deer hunting. Too bad everyone else doesn't know that.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:You know its kind of funny how most deer hunters would get ticked for you coming and running for s short time near them. The reality is that during mid-day when most deer are pretty reluctant to move - your dogs and you can stir things up a bit for them.

I run dogs on my place and shoot deer right where I run dogs, so I KNOW it has no effect on the deer hunting. Too bad everyone else doesn't know that.

Justin
My dad deer hunts on the CRP ground I train dogs on 4-5 days a week and he kills nice deer every fall. I have offered some buddies of mine $$$ to let me work dogs on their leases and have offered seed and equipment to help them plant food plots in exchange to be able to run dogs from March to September and they wont let me run dogs there because they are afraid it will run off the deer...... they are nuts.

Deer hunters are people of another breed, and I dont get it.

jim