Animal Chiropractic yes or no?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Animal Chiropractic yes or no?

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Any one use these for their dog?
What is the result?
What is your opinion?

My 11 year old Mercy has the past few days squealed when jumping up on her chair or up the stairs.
Brought to the vets, he saw two vertabra that are a bit arthritic. But up till a couple days ago she was fine. I am thinkin she must have twisted something to cause those to affect her with the pain. She walks a little humped up right in that area. When she does tweak it her hair stands up on end for a while.

The vet did give us Metacam for the inflamation. But I don't like the stuff as it is hard on the stomach.

I use a chiropractor for me and it works for me?
What are your thoughts?
Than ks,
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Animal Chiropractic yes or no?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 pm

I have used a chiropractor for a couple of dogs with great results. Accupuncture is effective, also. Wonderful stuff.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:58 pm

My husband works in a hospital and all his family are doctors or nurses, so take this with a grain of salt. :) Because chiropractic medicine flies in the face of what science knows about how the body works, in other words as their premise is wrong from the start, things are never right.

My father in law was a small town Doctor and there was a chiropractor also in town. My father in law would get the cases that the chiropractor had given up on. One day a woman with a fulminating breast tumor came in . She had only been seeing the chiropractor. My father in law was so mad/upset that he had to go home for the day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Resorted to one this year and have seen her 3 times with Rooster. I really noticed a difference in his flexibility and pain levels. He was also "down in the back" or looking like he was swaybacked (I think he pulled a muscle). After the second visit and second acupuncture treatment, he was like brand new. Now I don't know if it always works, but since dogs are not like humans and don't have the "placebo" effect that we might get from a visit to the doctor - they either respond or don't ... they don't really know anything has happened so they can't "feel better" unless they truly do feel better.

My sister swears by acupuncture and chiropractic work with her performance horses.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Have used one with good results, she is a DVM/Chiropractor.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:21 pm

They typically work really well, but you have to find a good one. A DVM/Chiropractor is the best option, you shouldn't use a human chiropractor that does work on dogs. I go to many agility trials and there are TONS of people that use them all the time for their dogs. There is even one guy that travels to all the trials. I don't think he does a good job but you should see the line of people waiting and most of those people swear by him. You may also want to look into some acupuncture to go along with the chiropractic. Maybe laser therapy too!

I hope your dogs starts feeling better very quickly.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I must be in banjo land because I have never even heard of a Chiropractor for dogs! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Without a doubt, chiropractic definitely works on dogs. A friend of mine has a dog that was having bad back problems, wasn't running right, etc. After the first session with a chiro, the dog was visibly relieved. A few sessions later, the dog was back to running like a bat out of he**.
Our boy Shooter has chiro sessions as needed and they also make a visible difference in his movement. I don't know what modern science says to explain why chiro won't work - but all I can tell you is that it does.

Someone mentioned acupuncture - also very effective. We had an old boy that got regular treatments for the last 2 years of his life. It made a huge difference in his quality of life.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:06 pm

cody

Post by cody » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 pm

we use it on race horses quite a bit, dont see why it wouldnt work with dogs.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 am

Sharon wrote:My husband works in a hospital and all his family are doctors or nurses, so take this with a grain of salt. :) Because chiropractic medicine flies in the face of what science knows about how the body works, in other words as their premise is wrong from the start, things are never right.

My father in law was a small town Doctor and there was a chiropractor also in town. My father in law would get the cases that the chiropractor had given up on. One day a woman with a fulminating breast tumor came in . She had only been seeing the chiropractor. My father in law was so mad/upset that he had to go home for the day.
Sharon,

I know that we have agreed on almost all things and posts on GDF, however, on this one we are certainly diametrically opposed. Since I am a Chiropractor in a small rural town of 10,000, with a patient base of 5500, I am certainly offended by your grain of salt! I work extremely closely with the Physicians in my town and treat most of them and their families. According to your premise, half of my town must be wrong. So here's my grain of salt, just take it for what it is worth, as I did yours.

AUTO ACCIDENTS 42,000 DEATHS PER YEAR----------UNREPORTED MEDICAL ERRORS-200,000

Heart disease, cancer, stroke, respiratory diseases and accidents (including car accidents) top the list for leading causes of death in the United States, but there is another killer that we are led to believe doesn't exist- death from medical error. Most individuals feel safe while checking in a hospital for a routine surgery and don't bat an eye before changing into the hospital gown and wearing the identity bracelet, but over the last decade hospitals have been revealed as a silent killer- sending relatively healthy individuals out of the hospital in body bags.

42,000 people die in fatal car accidents every year. Sadly, there are 200,000 deaths due to medical errors or infections contracted in hospitals that go unreported and unnoticed.

Among the fatal injuries taking unsuspecting lives in hospitals are; operating on the wrong part of the body, physician prescribed drug overdose, accidental cuts and tears to organs during surgery, surgical tools left inside the body, bloodstream infections from improper use of catheters, and MRSA infections. And most of these injuries go unreported to the health department and the public.

This problem was brought to the public's attention ten years ago in the report "To Err is Human" along with a list of ways to help reduce the occurrence of these deaths. So with all of this knowledge about the growing problem: why do these deaths continue to go unreported?

Inadequate or lack of regulation: Currently, only 20 states out of 50 require hospitals to report medical errors and in the states that do require reporting only a small fraction of instances actually get reported due to lack of enforcement and consequences. Hospitals receive no penalty for withholding information about medical error.

Underfunded Programs: Another great problem is that programs for reporting this data are grossly underfunded. Washington State's program only has enough budget to fund one staff member and not enough is left over to actually analyze the results and put an annual report together. This problem is prevalent throughout the states requiring reporting: New York's funds ran out and hasn't published a report since 2004 and the law in Texas requiring reporting expired in 2007 as did the funds to support the program.

Lack of reason to report is a problem with Doctors who would lose more by reporting the error than benefit. While doctors risk medical malpractice allegations and discipline if errors are reported they alter death certificates to exclude any information that could link medical error to the patient's death.

The Bottom Line: Another problem with reporting is hospital may lose money. Not only do hospitals not want patients to go to another place for care do to a record of medical errors, but they lose money when procedures are done correctly the first time. One hospital that did the prescribed changed from the report "To Err is Human" reduced the number of re-hospitalizations for cardiac patients by simply ensuring medications were correct. This was great for the patients, but the hospital lost $3.5 million from simply doing things correctly.

I am not trying to offend anyone or start a peeing match, but this quote is as bad as the Show or Field debate. Conformation is science and concrete, whereas ability is nurtured, enhanced, and judged. Animal Chiropractors do a great job and I would never pretend to be one. The mechanics of an animal are vastly different than those on a human.

Dr. Bill Orlando....Chiropractor
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:22 am

Rick - my 2 cents would be to try it and see if it makes a difference for your dog. Hate to see the dog in pain if there is something that could help.

Also - we have an old dog, 14 years, that has had crushed disks ($$urgery), has a narrowing of the vertebrae that is squeezing the cord, has a variety of other "old dog" maladies. We give him Glucosamine Chondroitin every day, and it seems to help an awful lot. Without it, he can't turn around in his crate, and he's very stiff in general, and yelps intermittently - licks his front feet a lot - likely a pain response. With the G-C daily, he can easily turn in his crate, is much more limber. His pain is still there, but seems to be less frequent.

Good luck.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 am

THanks All:

I was given reference to one just 45 min. away. that is supposed to be good. She is a Vet as well.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:01 am

One thing to consider with chiropractic, as with any holistic treatment, is that you are working in the body as a whole unit, not just treating symptoms. It usually takes multiple adjustments to achieve the desired effect as the body readjusts itself. Hopefully the treatment will work for the dog in question. I've always been happy with the results for my dogs.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 am

Sharon wrote:My husband works in a hospital and all his family are doctors or nurses, so take this with a grain of salt. :) Because chiropractic medicine flies in the face of what science knows about how the body works, in other words as their premise is wrong from the start, things are never right.

Sharon, don't take this to mean anything important because it doesn't - but the sheer arrogance of mainstream medicine sometimes is mind boggling, isn't it?

And for every example of "chiropractor" malpractice or misjudgement, you can find as many or more from the mainstream medical group.

I guess the bottom line is that there is no accurate generalization about either one. There are competent professionals in each camp, and folks from each camp who do their jobs well every day and help rather than hurt.

In this case, with so many folks reporting positive and "drug-free" outcomes from the chiropractic experiences with animals, there sure must be something to it...

Peace :)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:00 am

Anyone have any idea of how much training it takes to become a dog chiropractor?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

nikegundog wrote:Anyone have any idea of how much training it takes to become a dog chiropractor?
Well, you have to be either a vet or a human chiropractor before you certify in animal chiro, so quite a bit.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
nikegundog wrote:Anyone have any idea of how much training it takes to become a dog chiropractor?
Well, you have to be either a vet or a human chiropractor before you certify in animal chiro, so quite a bit.
So if your a vet and you want to be an animal chiropractor how much more training is required? One or two years?

doco

Post by doco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:25 am

="AzDoggin
Sharon, don't take this to mean anything important because it doesn't - but the sheer arrogance of mainstream medicine sometimes is mind boggling, isn't it?

And for every example of "chiropractor" malpractice or misjudgement, you can find as many or more from the mainstream medical group.

I guess the bottom line is that there is no accurate generalization about either one. There are competent professionals in each camp, and folks from each camp who do their jobs well every day and help rather than hurt.

In this case, with so many folks reporting positive and "drug-free" outcomes from the chiropractic experiences with animals, there sure must be something to it...

Thanks AZ....That was pretty much the point I was trying to make without getting into a big long debate/discussion. I also have nothing but respect for Sharon, her posts and replies are always positive :D and I have always and will continue to look forward to reading them.

Bill

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 am

nikegundog wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
So if your a vet and you want to be an animal chiropractor how much more training is required? One or two years?
I think the link I provided has that information. There are separate certifications for canine and equine, also, as well as CE requirements.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 am

Cajun Casey wrote:One thing to consider with chiropractic, as with any holistic treatment, is that you are working in the body as a whole unit, not just treating symptoms. It usually takes multiple adjustments to achieve the desired effect as the body readjusts itself. Hopefully the treatment will work for the dog in question. I've always been happy with the results for my dogs.
My problem with chiropractics over the long haul is just the opposite. It does treat the symptoms but does not treat the problem that allowed the body to get out of wack.
People can do what they want to do and if it helps and doesn't keep reappearing then you came out ahead but if you have to keep going back for the same problem then you haven't gained a thing for the money spent.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:One thing to consider with chiropractic, as with any holistic treatment, is that you are working in the body as a whole unit, not just treating symptoms. It usually takes multiple adjustments to achieve the desired effect as the body readjusts itself. Hopefully the treatment will work for the dog in question. I've always been happy with the results for my dogs.
My problem with chiropractics over the long haul is just the opposite. It does treat the symptoms but does not treat the problem that allowed the body to get out of wack.
People can do what they want to do and if it helps and doesn't keep reappearing then you came out ahead but if you have to keep going back for the same problem then you haven't gained a thing for the money spent.

Ezzy
Why don't you take that up with the gentleman who is a chiropractor instead of me? I've never had a chiropractor address symptoms, only sources. It works. So do accupuncture, homeopathy and Five Element therapy, if the practitioner knows what they are doing.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 am

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
Why don't you take that up with the gentleman who is a chiropractor instead of me? I've never had a chiropractor address symptoms, only sources. It works. So do accupuncture, homeopathy and Five Element therapy, if the practitioner knows what they are doing.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am

doco wrote:

Sharon,

I know that we have agreed on almost all things and posts on GDF, however, on this one we are certainly diametrically opposed. Since I am a Chiropractor in a small rural town of 10,000, with a patient base of 5500, I am certainly offended by your grain of salt! I work extremely closely with the Physicians in my town and treat most of them and their families. According to your premise, half of my town must be wrong. So here's my grain of salt, just take it for what it is worth, as I did yours.

I am not trying to offend anyone or start a peeing match, but this quote is as bad as the Show or Field debate. Conformation is science and concrete, whereas ability is nurtured, enhanced, and judged. Animal Chiropractors do a great job and I would never pretend to be one. The mechanics of an animal are vastly different than those on a human.

Dr. Bill Orlando....Chiropractor[/quote

I always hesitate to give an opinion on controversial issues. ( I would not win a pissing match.) Too bad I didn't remember that this time. :) I apologize for offending you. ( In Canada a chiropractor must put DC after his/her name to show they are not a medical doctor.)
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Why don't you take that up with the gentleman who is a chiropractor instead of me? I've never had a chiropractor address symptoms, only sources. It works. So do accupuncture, homeopathy and Five Element therapy, if the practitioner knows what they are doing.
I am not taking anything up with anyone but strictly saying that my opinion is different than what you posted as your opinion. I base mine on what I have seen and experienced.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

doco wrote:
="AzDoggin

Thanks AZ....That was pretty much the point I was trying to make without getting into a big long debate/discussion. I also have nothing but respect for Sharon, her posts and replies are always positive :D and I have always and will continue to look forward to reading them.

Bill

That was very nice to say . Thank you. I'm not offended at all. Our opinions are formed from our experiences in life which is why we all think differently.:) As my husband burns his buns in a hospital every day for 12 hours , it's hard for me not to be color blind. We have our problems in Ontario. Average wait time in emerg . is now up to 15 hours for the "not immediately dying".

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Why don't you take that up with the gentleman who is a chiropractor instead of me? I've never had a chiropractor address symptoms, only sources. It works. So do accupuncture, homeopathy and Five Element therapy, if the practitioner knows what they are doing.
I am not taking anything up with anyone but strictly saying that my opinion is different than what you posted as your opinion. I base mine on what I have seen and experienced.

Ezzy
That leaves the question of what experience you have had with chiropractic treatment of, particularly, dogs. I have personally had dogs treated and know many people who have had dogs, cats, horses and one three legged potbellied pig treated by chiropractors. The recommended, if needed, followup treatment for a dog of mine with a hip and elbow luxation on the same side from the vet who did the reduction included chiro. Could you share your experiences, please?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm

This is ridiculous. Many times MDs are ignorant to what Chiropractic does. There is a reason that Tiger Woods has his own personal Chiropractor. Multi-million dollar horses are adjusted all of the time. Do you honestly think they would go through all of the trouble if it weren't effective? I can't believe we are even having this discussion.

Of course it is worth it.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

doco

Post by doco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:06 pm

IMO..........................This would be a great place to end the secondary topic of the original post. It could certainly go on and on and on. A very sincere thank you Sharon. :D A very sincere thank you to those supporting Chiropractic. I'd much rather return this post to the dogs. After all, we all know that there is no better dog than a GSP!!!!! :lol:

Enuf Said,

Bill

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 pm

doco wrote:IMO..........................This would be a great place to end the secondary topic of the original post. It could certainly go on and on and on. A very sincere thank you Sharon. :D A very sincere thank you to those supporting Chiropractic. I'd much rather return this post to the dogs. After all, we all know that there is no better dog than a GSP!!!!! :lol:

Enuf Said,

Bill
Especially a well adjusted one! :)
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Double post.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:10 pm

YES

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Cajun Casey wrote: I think the link I provided has that information. There are separate certifications for canine and equine, also, as well as CE requirements.
Nope wasn't in the link, it said you must take a clinic and an examine, don't know if the clinic is for two days or 2 weeks.

doco

Post by doco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:58 pm

After surfing through the links, it appears that the Certification Courses are given in 1 week long modules for 5 - 6 weeks over several months. They certainly did not appear to be cheap and there were only 5-6 places to take the courses.

mxdad777

Post by mxdad777 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 pm

[/quote]

We have our problems in Ontario. Average wait time in emerg . is now up to 15 hours for the "not immediately dying".[/quote]

And isn't this a similar medical plan that our great president is pushing!? No thank you!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm

The plan's great. Every citizen gets equal care whether poor or rich. No jumping the queu. The problem is that we need more nurses and doctors and the govt. to open up more beds.