Lifestyle or hobby?? Opinions PLEASE!

mykp13

Lifestyle or hobby?? Opinions PLEASE!

Post by mykp13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 am

I'm looking for opinions. I've been researching breeds and training. Really want to get a dog in spring, although the wife is skeptical. However, the more I read the more it seems that owning/training a dog to actually hunt is more of a lifestyle than it is an enjoyable hobby. I'm a dog owner/lover and will always own a dog as a pet. I anted to get a bird dog so that I could also hunt. I do not want to end up one of those guys with a bird dog that wont hunt. My concern is that this cannot be accomplished on what I will call a "part-time" basis. By part time I mean that I have a young child/family obligations as well as professional obligations. I guess what I am asking is can owning and training a true hunting companion be accomplished with only a few hours a week devoted to hunting training. By hunting training I mean bird work or whatever you want to call it. This time would obviously not include basic obediance and socialization. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

Ahumphers91a

Re: Lifestyle or hobby?? Opinions PLEASE!

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 am

just as a nice weekend hunter.....yes, I believe so.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 am

IMO the hunting instinct is bred into a dog. It is not a burden to own a birddog. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. The same is true of your hunting companion. If you can spare 10 to 15 minutes a day with the basic and yard training your dog will progress with you. You also need to remember this dog will live to be maybe 14 or 15 years old. The decision is yours to make (Lifestyle or Hobby). Good luck with your decision.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:14 am

Maybe.
Dog needs to have a good hour run 3 times a week at least ,(not a pup). By the time I drive to a spot , pick up a coffee etc you are looking at 6 hours a week. Cleaning poo etc = 1 hour a week, actual yard training maybe 6 half hours a week = 3 hours . Buying the dog food, going for shots = ?? So about 10 hours a week +. If the wife is not keen she will resent those 10 a week so add on the time and aggravation to mediate that.

Certainly not wanting to discourage just believe everyone should have some idea of the time involved even to be a weekend hunter/trialer. I relish the 10 hours a week but I have a supportive husband who often goes with me

"I have a young child/family obligations as well as professional obligations. " quote

Sounds like you have a full plate already but it would be good for your health /stress level is you work in a dog. :)

Think about buying a started dog or already fully trained dog .
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:28 am

I think the exercise and bird/gun training is what takes the most time, at least in my experience. My 10 month old Brittany drives me and my girlfriend nuts if she doesn't get exercise at least every other day. By exercise, I mean at least an hour (hopefully 1.5 hours or more) off leash running in the woods. For example, I had her out hunting for 2 hours Friday night, 8 hours (with some breaks between trails) on Saturday, and 4 hours on Sunday. Because of work I wasn't able to get her out the past few days. She was ok until yesterday when I got home. She was running hot laps in the house last night and was constantly bringing me toys to play "tug" with or throw for her.

As far as bird/gun training goes, that takes as long as you want to make it last. My big thing was the time it took to get to an area where I could do this kind of training. Usually spent 3-4 hours a week total on this kind of stuff this summer/early fall.

I've found training with my pup goes MUCH better when she's had ample exercise.

I don't know what breeds you're looking at, but I'd consider something other than a high energy gun dog (gsp, britt, ep, etc.) if I were you. Seems like you're pretty limited on time. You might be able to get the dog to hunt, but I'd be willing to bet a gun dog would require much more than you're able devote at this time. I'd consider a breed that is a lot more family friendly, like a lab.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 pm

You can have a bird dog with a minimum of time and effort but, like has been said you get out of it what you put into it.

To your original question, I think this starts out as a hobby for most people and quickly turns into a lifestyle. It depends what you want out of your dog. my first dog, a lab, did everything I asked her to do. She was a tool just like my shot gun. then i got to huntinh/training with some guys who run retriever HTs and found that I wanted more from my dog. That turned into working my dog 4-5nights a week. then after putting in all of that time and effort, I found that I was always itching for hunting season to come so that I could take advantage of my invesment. Then after the season had wrapped up there were always things I wanted to polish before next fall, and the cycle continued.

Now that I have pointing dogs I decided to get into HTs with my GSP we got his JH and I wasn't satisfied so we are working towards a SH. After doing the HT thing and watching and running I decided I didn't want to spend time and money chasing a standard I wanted to compete. However I knew I didn't have the dog for it, so I started looking for an FT dog and now Ive go t another puppy and im off to the races again...

I know I just rambled on but it kinda shows the progression....

I guess the best question is... Can you buy a car on the lot and drive it and be happy? or do you need to constantly be tinkering because its never good enough? If your the guy who likes to tinker, then it will quickly become an obsession/lifestyle. If your ok with "OK" then it can be an enjoyable hobby.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:You can have a bird dog with a minimum of time and effort but, like has been said you get out of it what you put into it.

To your original question, I think this starts out as a hobby for most people and quickly turns into a lifestyle. It depends what you want out of your dog. my first dog, a lab, did everything I asked her to do. She was a tool just like my shot gun. then i got to huntinh/training with some guys who run retriever HTs and found that I wanted more from my dog. That turned into working my dog 4-5nights a week. then after putting in all of that time and effort, I found that I was always itching for hunting season to come so that I could take advantage of my invesment. Then after the season had wrapped up there were always things I wanted to polish before next fall, and the cycle continued.

Now that I have pointing dogs I decided to get into HTs with my GSP we got his JH and I wasn't satisfied so we are working towards a SH. After doing the HT thing and watching and running I decided I didn't want to spend time and money chasing a standard I wanted to compete. However I knew I didn't have the dog for it, so I started looking for an FT dog and now Ive go t another puppy and im off to the races again...

I know I just rambled on but it kinda shows the progression....

I guess the best question is... Can you buy a car on the lot and drive it and be happy? or do you need to constantly be tinkering because its never good enough? If your the guy who likes to tinker, then it will quickly become an obsession/lifestyle. If your ok with "OK" then it can be an enjoyable hobby.

Jim
LOL That's exactly how it goes. :) My husband has been telling me to stick with what I'm doing because if I get another dog I might be 85 before it passes
on.

I said, "So what's your point?" I'll find a nursing home that takes dogs. 8)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Do you have 30 minutes a day to train and an extra hour a few times a week for a good run?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:41 pm

There are more companion dogs that are taken out hunting than the other way around.
You get out of the dogs what you put into them, but most folks are happy with whatever the dog gives them.

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 pm

I like all your comments...haha......but I have to say I think I consider my obession to be a hobby in my lifestyle....lol....does that it clear it up for ya...haha.
No...on a serious note...bird hunting, in my opinion, is a hobby that takes up a portion of my life, but I couldnt imagine not having it in my life! :D

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I would look for a Britt, if I were you, as a family pet. Then if you take up hunting, just take him along. What you'll see early on probably will make you happy enough and if you get the dog to birds, in a fairly short time, it will know more about hunting than you do. If you get a minature Poodle for a pet, you can take it along hunting and given time, well, it still won't be much of a bird dog but maybe a good pet.

I got to tell you the truth and no offence intended. You are much to busy for a fully trained bird dog. I suspect that between your professional life and family life you really don't have time for a well trained bird dog. So back to the Britt. It will make a useable,,,,,alright, great family pet and will probably pick up the training as you go with out any formal stuff. I can't think of another breed that would be as calm in the house and around family that has the talent bred in as well as the Britt. And BTW, I am not a Britt fan. But it deserves the kudos for what it brings to the table.

After saying these things, I got to tell you how I really feel about Britt's. Don't get one, get two. That way if your stuck in the snow, you can throw one under each drive tire and drive right out! :roll: Britts take a lot of guff from people the have real bird dogs! :mrgreen:

Seriously, check into a Britt!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I have not read all the other thread replies. But here is my household.

We have 4 GSP's in our house. One who is 4, One 3, one 14 mo and one 8 months. We also have 2 APBT's.

Here is where we are at DAILY. We have a fenced in back yard. We let them be outside playing as much as they can and they have toys inside. We also have a 4 year old son. I dedicate 10-15 min a day to work on sit, down, stay, come and I also show so showing stuff with my GSP's. That is IT on a daily basis. Then when the weather isn't crappy we will play with birds 1-2 times a week in the yard or go to the preserve near us and work birds. Our dogs hunt with us during the hunting season and do just fine on the light amount of training.

This spring I hope to train more heavily on birds to get dogs ready for higher levels of hunt testing but our guys do not have a lot of bird exposure on a daily basis and are just fine and hunt wonderfully. They are a joy in the house as well. They all curl up in their spot and sleep when we sit down as a family and hang out. They are NOT off the wall crazy. And we do NOT do the daily runs/walks with them. Just them playing in the yard and in the house during the day.

The best thing you can do is get your wife and kiddo involved in some way teaching the dog something. Even if it is just the sit, down, stay stuff or tricks. That way they feel involved and the dog bonds with them as well. Or have the kiddo help you dish up their food and feed them. The smallest things can make a big difference.

Just remember MENTAL stimulation for a hunting breed is just as important as Physical. And you can teach a lot of fun stuff to your dog inside your home as well. Like the starting of tracking and such. This can then cross over to your every day hunting needs.

When looking for a pup look for a breeder who is doing a lot of the same thing you want. Like dogs who are use to family settings, dogs who don't need those miles a day put on them to tire them out, people who may train for higher levels of testing but also who know their dogs do just fine as weekend hunters with their families. If you know what your daily life is like you should be able to find a breeder with a similar daily life and get a pup who is going to fit your lifestyle just fine!

Good luck and happy puppy hunting!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 pm

It can be done, but just know that your dog will tell you when you are ignoring her. I've gotten Kona used to going out 4 times a week. Times are somewhat slow right now in the pharma world. This week I have only taken her out once. I brought her in earlier and she ran right to the front door sat in front of it and just howled for 20 minutes. Fed her and then gave her a snack and she went back to the front door. Tomorrow is a free bee so I am sure we will be heading to the club for a little run time.

I think your biggest problem will be planning on 15 minutes a day. As your pup grows and progressess you will find that you want more time with the pup. It will be harder for you to pull back. Nothing better than chasing a bird dog for hours. Can't think of a better reason to leave work early. I think you should go for it. it will be something for the whole family to get into. My 10 year old runs with me every chance she can get. I am running a walking pup this weekend and she is going to come and walk it with me. She now wants to run her own dog. Started dog may be the best for you but a pup would be best for the whole family.

Good luck in your decision,

Joe

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:37 am

mykp13 wrote: I anted to get a bird dog so that I could also hunt.
What do you want to hunt? With a limited amount of time to train, if a flushing dog (spaniels and retrievers) will fit the bill that would be my suggestion. You can develop a good "meat" flushing dog with some obedience, stay in range and retrieving training. The rest of what they do is instinct and nose. You'll have a pheasant, grouse and waterfowl dog.This type of training can be done with a 1/2 hour a day and a little longer on the weekends. You won't have a field trial champ, but you'll have a working hunting buddy. Flushing breeds also make good family pets and range in size from small English cockers and Boykin Spaniels to large Labs and Golden Retrievers.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 am

slistoe wrote:There are more companion dogs that are taken out hunting than the other way around.
You get out of the dogs what you put into them, but most folks are happy with whatever the dog gives them.
Most true comment posted in the whole thread...

How much time depends on how much you want from the dog. We have a hunting buddy that had the most worthless hunting dog I've ever seen. He didn't care and was happy if he did one thing right all season. It was a dog with almost no training, but he made the owner happy.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:58 am

The operative term here, IMO, is commitment. My suggestion for breed is Lab. It doesn't sound like you have much time to dedicate to a new hobby because of your existing lifestyle, so a dog that is lower maintenance in the training department may be best. Labs make great pets. They are practically furniture after the first couple of years.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:36 am

As stated you get what you put into it. But with just hours a week you can train a bird dog. and a pretty decent bird dog.
The dog already knows what it needs to. You need to instill your training to get what you want as a finished product.

Once the dog is trained they mostly hold onto the training pretty good.

Just for example.. I have My Mercy GSP and Buster French Brit that literally got no bird work this year and certainly not enough conditioning. (My bad, my fault, my situations this year and having 3 younger dog that needed more work yadayadayada.) Brought them out on opening day of Grouse season, gave my first command and then they did what they have done for years and we got our limit for the day and all but two birds were worked properly. Just a usual it was my shooting that was off.

Once they got it which is just a few years or sooner, they got it, may just need some refreshers.

Owning a bird dog is not much different than a house pet. Mine are in house.

Time management: You know about that already so plug in time for the pups.

The conditioning is the thing that actually takes more time.

Enjoy the journey. Be patient.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

mykp13

Post by mykp13 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the insight so far. My thoughts at this time are that I would get a french brittany or an english setter. Looking for a pheasant and grouse dog. Would also like suggestions for breeders and or lines. For the setters I've been looking at Decoverly and October kennels. But their dogs are fairly high priced. Again any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 am

my opinion, do your research and get a well bred dog that fits your style and your golden. i am just a hobby/weekend hunter never trialed or even completed a hunt test i have had a few dogs and they all have hunt in them some more than others and the breeding really shows a difference i think. my best bred dog has been the easiest to train, hes just one of those dogs that naturally has it but i also had a weim that was a rescue and is a great foot hunting partner decent nose never gets too far from ya. point is i work 60+ hours a week and dont put much time into training, most "trialers" probably wouldn't look twice at my dogs but everyone that hunts with me thinks they are excellent bird dogs.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:58 am

Nothing I can add really to the other great posts here, but maybe to say that your "hobby" can influence your families "lifestyle??"

It is my belief that being out of doors is good for humans in addition to being good for the dogs. So, if getting a sporting dog influences your family to spend a little more time outdoors than maybe it would otherwise - that would be a good thing, too.

If you get a well-bred, biddable dog, you are adding a member of your family - a critter that, if properly socialized, can go almost everywhere and do almost anything the family does.

I read a quote recently - something to the effect of "a dog is the only relative you get to choose." Just choose well. :D

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Bird dogging may become a lifestyle without you noticing it! I know that I definitely make time to train with my dog just because it is something that I enjoy.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:32 pm

For most of the guys and gals on here its a lifestyle (and thats not a bad thing).

I intend to make the pup i pick up in a little over 2 weeks into a companion dog that knows how to hunt. And I may throw him in a coupld of trials and tests every now and then! Im so excited!

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm busy about 55 hours a week and still find time for my dog. I make time, my days off during bird season are spent hunting, a lot of my vacation time is bird hunting time. I got an invitation to Hawaii the other day, I laughed and said, sorry, this is bird season, I'd rather run my dog on birds than go to Hawaii and that is a true statement.

My mornings and/or evenings are with the dog, running and training. I don't really do anything else in my spare time than sleep and spend time with my dog. I don't watch sports or much t.v. but I got a dog that I enjoy. My wife says I spend more time with the dog than her, that may be an overstatement but the jury is still out. :mrgreen:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:37 pm

If your not dedicated to getting the dog plenty of exercise make sure you look into the breeding etc.. an AA or any FC type breeding you might want to avoid and go with a NAVHDA dog who might not have as much energy or independence .

mykp13

Post by mykp13 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46 am

What is an AA and or FC breeding? I'm not real familiar with all the "letters".

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:39 am

mykp13 wrote:What is an AA and or FC breeding? I'm not real familiar with all the "letters".
FC = Field Champion in AKC
AA = All Age, considered the bigger running field trial dogs.

The comment is a veiled stab at the test venues in, particularly German shorthaired pointers. NAVHDA is an organization that titles dogs in primarily non-competitive tests.

When you look at English pointers and Field registered English setters, Ch notates a field trial champion. In AKC, Ch is a Conformation champion.

Regardless, the field title does not tell you if the dog ran AA or, depending on the sanctioning organization, Gun Dog or Shooting Dog.

JH, SH, and MH are AKC Hunt Test titles, another non-competitive evaluation.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:43 am

Yes it is possible to juggle both but if exercising or training your dog feels like more of a chore then opportunity to make yourself as well as your dog better than I wouldn't recommend it. As stated before no exercise or job to do equals disaster with a a high energy breed. Happy healthy dogs make happy healthy owners as well.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

mykp13

Post by mykp13 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:32 am

I am leaning toward a Brittany or English Setter. Does anyone have any suggestions? Looked at Decoverly and October kennels for the setters. These are HIGH priced dogs. Are they worth the money? Was considering a French Brittany, but again much higher priced than champion sired American dogs. Im looking for a dog under 55 lbs. The training of the dog is what I'm looking forward to most. The only concern is the exercise requirement. Based on some of the replys it seems feasible to have a "hobby" hunter. I appreciate all the information. And any ideas for lines/ breeders is welcome.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:11 am

mykp13 wrote:I am leaning toward a Brittany or English Setter. Does anyone have any suggestions? Looked at Decoverly and October kennels for the setters. These are HIGH priced dogs. Are they worth the money? Was considering a French Brittany, but again much higher priced than champion sired American dogs. Im looking for a dog under 55 lbs. The training of the dog is what I'm looking forward to most. The only concern is the exercise requirement. Based on some of the replys it seems feasible to have a "hobby" hunter. I appreciate all the information. And any ideas for lines/ breeders is welcome.

I have no personal experience with the Setter breeder you are looking at, I am sure they are nice dogs but I am absolutely positive you can get a very well bred pup from proven hunting lines for much less money $500-$600 range. I would personally not consider any of the gentleman's gun dog marketing BS that is all over the Internet in my decision. There is a thread that was just posted about selecting a setter that has some very good kennels and breeders outlined. I also would not shy away from an animal because they come from field trial lines, you will find that anybody that would like to tell you that field trial dogs are too this or that to be a good hunting or house dog doesn't own one, so probably not the best person to take advice from. My pup is very good in the house and very natural in the field so far, I couldn't be happier with my choice for a hunting buddy. Their are a lot of very knowledgable Britt owners on the forum that can steer you in the right direction if that is what you are leaning towards. Go see them work before you pull the trigger.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

lucky guy

Post by lucky guy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 am

You can do it, just don't get a puppy and go through the training phase, get a finished dog. They come up from time to time. Buddy of mine found a 5 yr old finished short hair that is a great dog, mature, mellow, good hunter, divorce case so dog just needed a home. Not saying short hair over brit or other breed, just that the major time commitment is in the training and raising the dog. Even a dog like a setter calms down alot by 4 yrs old.

On the other hand they do need exercise; of course so do we so it works out. A dog will get you out for a walk or run when nothing else will - how bad can that be?

Go for it man!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 am

I would steer away from Decoverly. They are now strictly a commercial breeding operation and had a sticky run in with state regulations a couple of years ago that resulted in some of their dogs being surrendered to kill shelters.

maddie1

Post by maddie1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Yes, our Decoverly Setter is worth every dollar we paid for her. Excellent hunter and great house dog !

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:53 am

mykp13,
George Ryman had a saying about his gun dogs, just take them to the woods they will eventually teach you how to hunt.
If you have the right dog a weekend hunter can still have a serious Grouse dog, given time.
RGD/Dave

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:50 pm

mykp13 wrote:I'm looking for opinions. I've been researching breeds and training. Really want to get a dog in spring, although the wife is skeptical. However, the more I read the more it seems that owning/training a dog to actually hunt is more of a lifestyle than it is an enjoyable hobby. I'm a dog owner/lover and will always own a dog as a pet. I anted to get a bird dog so that I could also hunt. I do not want to end up one of those guys with a bird dog that wont hunt. My concern is that this cannot be accomplished on what I will call a "part-time" basis. By part time I mean that I have a young child/family obligations as well as professional obligations. I guess what I am asking is can owning and training a true hunting companion be accomplished with only a few hours a week devoted to hunting training. By hunting training I mean bird work or whatever you want to call it. This time would obviously not include basic obediance and socialization. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

It is neither of the words you mentioned...it is a Life.

A lifestyle is what some fellas adopt after reading a bunch of these message boards...to find the the best or 'right" gun, dog, gamebird, state, boots...or clothes to wear so that they fit in somewhere.
A hobby is woodworking.

You choose a birddog...then you have chosen a Life.
It is not all about the training as it is in going to the effort to expose the dogs to birds over time.....as much as I find one poster's exaggerrated claims of just about everything, mountain traditional or not, he is correct...it is a sin(almost) to not hunt a birddog and allow it to be little more than an affectation of some lifestyle...in other words, to make a birddog into a Stormy Kromer cap.
If you are not going to follow thru with a dog then do not get one.
Only you know what you will really do.
If you pull the trigger, then consider a started dog as training seems a hurdle for you at this stage.
Many good dogs go wanting...a puppy, fine choice that it is, is not the only purchase to consider.
But, before you consider a purchase...consider what you are willing to give....well past training or the maintianing of training.
If you consider a puppy then do your homework, take your time, ignore the marketing hype and the message board personal agendas and find a dog that is a match for you, your family and ...your Life.
Any birddog deserves no less.

If you jump the dog way way and follow thru you then will be rewarded by memories of all kinds and moments so special that they will stop you speechless in the marveling.

Best with your decision.
*Looks like you may have already made it based upon dates*

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

mykp13 wrote:I'm looking for opinions. I've been researching breeds and training. Really want to get a dog in spring, although the wife is skeptical. However, the more I read the more it seems that owning/training a dog to actually hunt is more of a lifestyle than it is an enjoyable hobby. I'm a dog owner/lover and will always own a dog as a pet. I anted to get a bird dog so that I could also hunt. I do not want to end up one of those guys with a bird dog that wont hunt. My concern is that this cannot be accomplished on what I will call a "part-time" basis. By part time I mean that I have a young child/family obligations as well as professional obligations. I guess what I am asking is can owning and training a true hunting companion be accomplished with only a few hours a week devoted to hunting training. By hunting training I mean bird work or whatever you want to call it. This time would obviously not include basic obediance and socialization. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

An hour every second day + driving time
A half hour on the off days
In this amount of time , you can train a bird dog.

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm

There is some good advice and insights on this thread. Digest what has been posted and ask yourself if you will have time to work with the dog. Birddogs are great family companions, but they are energetic, inquisitive beasts. You will need to spend time with that dog daily. You will need to get it out in field conditions regularly if you want a competent hunting companion. This might sound daunting, but you'll be surprised how much you and your family will enjoy getting outside.

If you are looking to produce a good trial dog, then I would say it's a lifestyle. If you want a competent field companion, then it can be a hobby.

Don't skimp on the genetics. Amortized over the life of the animal, extra cost up front is money well spent. Also research the breed/line characteristics. A dog coming out of high-test trial stock is not going to be happy getting out a couple of times a month.

Also consider what you will be realistically be hunting.

Good luck on your search.

Bluestem
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Just remember, a dog is a commitment for the next 12-15 yrs. They grow out of that cute puppy stage quickly and become work! Yes, work.
They don't come trained to not jump on you or your neighbors. They don't come trained not to eat your couch or shoes. They don't come housebroken, know not to bark, or to eat the neighbors kids.

All of those things you need to teach them, and it's work! For most of us, it's enjoyable work, but for others it's a royal pain in the butt and not something they really want to deal with.

Do you want to deal with it? Do you want to spend your free time walking a dog, training a dog, taking it out to run? If so..... we're right there with you and will help answer any questions you have. If not... don't get a dog, any dog, no matter the breed. English Setter or Britt.. they are dogs, and each needs training, commitment and time!

You and the family need to sit and have a really serious conversation. I'm glad you came here and asked the questions~!!!! Most don't and the poor dog ends up being hauled to the local pound through no fault of his.

Good luck with your decision....
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I think this article was well done. It incorporates what most of the dog people on this thread have said. Buying a gun dog is a major committment.

http://vommoorehaus.com/how_to_buy_a_gun_dog.php

Excerpt:
How to Buy a Gun Dog
by W. G. Griswold, DVM

© 2003 W. G. Griswold, DVM

"It was hardly a casual thing, picking a pup. Here was a creature with whom I would share the next fifth of my life: a housemate, family member, hunting partner, friend. One does not pick children, one is given them; but with dogs one assumes the burden of choice."

—Charles Fergus, in A Rough Shooting Dog

As a veterinarian, I'm frequently asked how I would select a puppy if I were looking for one. More often than not, the question is posed by a disappointed pet owner whose new puppy has failed to live up to expectations: the pup may have a congenital (birth) defect or genetic disease, be ill, difficult to train, or have any number of other problems, both real and perceived. Usually, however, the problems I see could have been avoided with a little consideration, research, and preparation prior to bringing the dog home.

Two years ago, I became the proud owner of a Deutsch Drahthaar or DD, a German wirehaired pointer bred and registered in the German registry maintained and supervised by the Verein Deutsch Drahthaar/Group North America (VDD/GNA). The search leading up to "Rana's" arrival at my home was born of a newfound interest in wingshooting and the desire to own and train a working gun dog. The entire selection and purchasing process spanned a period of several months. During this time, I evaluated many factors, including the motivation behind my decision to get a dog, my family's lifestyle, what I desired in a dog, what I expected from a kennel or breeder, and how I would house, care for, and train my new companion. This personal journey now serves as my answer to "How would you pick a puppy?"

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Buy a fully trained dog. You won't be sorry. You'll skip the puppy stage (which takes more time than any other stage) and you'll have a 2-4 year old dog that is housebroken and trained to hunt. You will just need to keep up with the dog's training in the field when you hunt or work with a trainer and send him/her in for tuneups. You can have a great family dog and not have to invest the time into training that most people on here really enjoy. There is nothing wrong with workign with a good reputable breeder/trainer that has a finished dog that would work for you. It would be worth the money to get one that is ready to go.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:37 pm

mykp13 -

Owning a dog...any dog... is a definite lifestyle decision. You will need to mess with the dog every morning and every evening. You will need to clean up after the dog, feed it water it, and providxe it an exercise outlet. And that is ANY dog. it will and must become part of the fabric of your life. It is every day.

That being said,it does not have to consume your life. Fifteen minutes in the morning and fifteen minutes in the evening can do what you need, during the week.

I had trial bred pointers and they did fine in a fgenced in backyard that was about 35X50. Of course the edge of the yard next to the fence looked like a motocross track, because the dogs would tear out from their kennels and do about three or four laps around the perimeter before anything else. Momma did was not happy with the the look of the back yard, but she adored the dogs, so it was OK...BARELY. :lol: :lol:

I would road them, on foot, through the subdivision, after supper about twice a week. I used a leather weightlifter's belt to spread the pressure on my back. At least one day on most weekends we would be at a WMA and they would get a good run.

It certainly helps to have a spouse who understands your particular affliction. :lol: :lol:

The short answer is : Yes it can be done without sacrificing the rest of your life.

Do what you enjoy...and enjoy what you do.
RayG