Best NSTRA Britts?

CowboyBirdDogs

Best NSTRA Britts?

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Aside from NLB, who has some of the best NSTRA Brittanys from around the country? I'm starting to get into NSTRA and I've always liked Brittanys so I thought it'd be cool to see what different people from all over say.

Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Best NSTRA Britts?

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I think the best ones are the ones that someone runs in NSTRA. That sounds like a stupid answer but I really believe it to be true. Most dogs are pretty good at what you give them the opportunity to participate in. The Brit has a long background of being the type of dog that can excell in that type of format. Give them the chance and they will probably do well. Much of Buddy's success was that he was entered and run often and he had the natural abilities of most Brits to be quick and agile in the field.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:27 pm

I think it would be hard for me to say any one of any breed is best. Speeking of just Britt's, I would bet every pup out of NRB did not make a good field dog. Mostly I think the reason different dogs succede at it, the breeding gives the start but the handler makes the dog. I knew a guy in AKC that his dog to start with was a pound dog and the pound actually had the paper's. He got the dog and had to have it spayed. She turned into one of the biggest Gun Dog winner's at that time in the N.W.

Just pick a pup from lines that are being campainged in the format you like. Go to trials and watch the dog's and find one you like. Then check on pup's if they will have some. Don't believe that because a dog has a whole bunch of championships it a great dog. maybe and maybe not. Most dogs with a lot of championships have been heavily trialed. Doesn't make them bad or good, look for what you think you want. You watch enough and your gonna see one or two that really stand out in your mind, thats your blood line! Once you get your puppy, the job is your's to help it be all it can be. Have fun!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Mark Donavan lives in Montana, and runs Brits in the Big Sky and Mid North regions. He has some very nice dogs, including a couple that are 5 or 6x champions. Mark's a quality guy, on top of having good dogs.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:53 pm

"Aside from NLB, who has some of the best NSTRA Brittanys from around the country?"

Me!!!.......jk.....I'd look for something that is heavy in Ban-Dee lines, jmo. My dog Sandy, took a first place in Lubbock at 1 year and 10 months, her second placement, she got a 2nd at 1 year and 4 months last spring. She has some NLB, but her paternal grandfather opposite NLB is Tejas Iron Mike an AA two time runner up National Champ. I knew it was only a matter of time before you saw the light and moved to the brittanys. Get an American Brittany.

http://www.nstra.org/Members/trial.asp?idnum=23160

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:54 pm

McCandless Britts out of KY has a male that is tearing it up. I believe it is NLB bloodlines.

The guy in MT referenced has some nice dogs and one that is 6x champ, believe he is out of NLB too. You are gonna find out that NLB was a busy dog outside of running trials....;)

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:56 pm

"You are gonna find out that NLB was a busy dog outside of running trials...."

Understatement of the week.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:"Aside from NLB, who has some of the best NSTRA Brittanys from around the country?"

Me!!!.......jk.....I'd look for something that is heavy in Ban-Dee lines, jmo. My dog Sandy, took a first place in Lubbock at 1 year and 10 months, her second placement, she got a 2nd at 1 year and 4 months last spring. She has some NLB, but her paternal grandfather opposite NLB is Tejas Iron Mike an AA two time runner up National Champ. I knew it was only a matter of time before you saw the light and moved to the brittanys. Get an American Brittany.

Ban-Dee, Beans Blaze also. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Go to the source....Nolan Huffman is a class act. His Rusty dog is real nice, saw him run a few months ago.

http://www.beelinebrittanys.com/
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:58 am

birddog1968 wrote:Go to the source....Nolan Huffman is a class act. His Rusty dog is real nice, saw him run a few months ago.

http://www.beelinebrittanys.com/
I've heard a ton of good things about Rusty. Wish he'd run closer to the Lone Star Region!

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 am

Redfishkilla wrote:"Aside from NLB, who has some of the best NSTRA Brittanys from around the country?"

The little French Britt I'm running has a lot Iron Mike in him, from Ms. Bunny Brown. I've thought about looking at her stuff a little more.

Sunny1160

Post by Sunny1160 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Go to a son of Nolan's Last Bullett. With out a doubt.

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 pm

First trial, 5th place wih my female. She has Ban Dee, Beans Blaze, Microdot, and her sire was BBB's Lucky Strike.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Birddawg wrote:First trial, 5th place wih my female. She has Ban Dee, Beans Blaze, Microdot, and her sire was BBB's Lucky Strike.
Wow! Congrats!! Are you hooked yet?

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:32 pm

http://www.carterbrittanykennels.com/NG ... XJudi.html

Im not a brit guy but this would be a good place to look.IMHO

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:34 pm

ElectricGunDogs wrote:
Birddawg wrote:First trial, 5th place wih my female. She has Ban Dee, Beans Blaze, Microdot, and her sire was BBB's Lucky Strike.
Wow! Congrats!! Are you hooked yet?
Oh I was hooked already,,,,,,,,,then I got my dogs. Had been thinking about what kind of dog i wanted at the time I went to my first NSTRA trial. That was 2 and a half years ago. My son just passed his hunters safety and got him a new shotgun. So I took him out today. Here is a pic of my female on point for him today.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn26 ... er2011.jpg

And another of her retrieving for him.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn26 ... G_0706.jpg

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:07 pm

There is a line that everyone is missing. I was curious if anybody else would bring it up, since they didn't I'll stoke the fire. Up here in the North West there has been a well kept secret of Britts for many years. The first Regional Championship for the NW was won buy a Britt back in 81 I think, and every single Brittany that has won a Regional Championship or Region High Point can all trace themselves back to the same kennel. In 2005 a young dog handled by an old man got 8th in Purina High Point, with limited trialing. This dog was Lonestar Fudge out of Guntrader Choclit Demon and Magnum Mark Kaycee. Fudge only ran once a year after about 5, when he was in his prime, due to poor health from his master. Fudge easily could have been a 12+ Champion, but he wasn't the exception. Every pup out of that breeding was an exceptional dog, but almost all of them went to hunters, not trialers. One brother become an AFC, FC. Another brother, Magnum Max Power is currently running, and arguably the top dog running in the North West. He is the first dog to EVER win the Regional Championship more then once. (he has won twice) Again limited trialing. Another brother was the sire to 2010 Regional Champ, Lonestar Duke. These dogs are scattered all over, from California, to Wyoming up to Canada. All of it was spread word of mouth, no internet advertising, no ads in magazines, just hunters seeing others hunters haul out limits of birds. Of course these dog were no Buddy, but neither is any other dog. And these dogs did not have the promotion or field trial exposure. Depends on your definition of success, but if I was looking for an outcross of a proven NSTRA line outside the norm. I'd be taking a trip up North to meet Magnum Max Power.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:52 pm

jeff gamble has nice ones. look at the nstra national championship winners on the nstra site. that should say enough

I'm sure there is some nlb in them

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Knine has produced some nice britts .... saw one run this weekend and it put down a nice run.

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Out of the Virginia region is a dog named Zip that is Ban Dee bred that is the best I have seen personally. He is one heck of a nice dog.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 am

southernblues wrote:McCandless Britts out of KY has a male that is tearing it up. I believe it is NLB bloodlines.
Ty is a very nice dog, his dame was direct from NLB.
http://www.nstra.org/Members/trial.asp?idnum=15036

There are some other very nice Britts coming out of the DX region.

GAMBLE'S LITTLE JOE
http://www.nstra.org/Members/trial.asp?idnum=15255

QUAIL RIDGE RANGER
http://www.nstra.org/Members/trial.asp?idnum=20305

I'm courting the notion to take my female down there for a breeding to one of these fine specimens in the spring.. she's doing well and I'd like to get her paired up with a good male to see what comes out of it.

http://www.nstra.org/Members/trial.asp?idnum=23252
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3485

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 am

smokinsam wrote:http://www.carterbrittanykennels.com/NG ... XJudi.html

Im not a brit guy but this would be a good place to look.IMHO
That's one of the most decorated Brittany pedigrees I think I have ever seen. I'd love to see a dog from that breeding work.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:01 am

Kind of interesting and follows what most of us have said, there are good dogs from most any line you want to look at and the best onesare the ones that are winning. In this thread there are top of the line field trial breeding, top of the line netra breeding, top of the line just plain hunting dog lines and the best all win. I think you will find the best Nstra lines are the dogs that have been run in Nstra the most. The dogs that just get run a few times aren't going to win as much as those that are running every week. Nolans dogs have great records in Nstra and it isn't because they were in the upland fields with an occasional trip to a Nstra weekend.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 pm

To bad Nolan did have all the etc time to run NLB in other venues but there is No doubt in my mind that NLB aka Buddy would have gotten an AKC title to go along with his NSTRA wins but had he split Buddys time then he would have never been a 32x Champion at the one venue..

Buddy also goes back to Scipio Spinx Pacolet Cheyenne Sam Ban Dee ( but then it is hard pressed to find to many brittanys that don't have Ban Dee in them some where) and Bullet Proof II ( was Rick Smiths Stud dog After he got out of trialing BPII produced HOF Hi-Proof Rum Runner), NLB also has Perry's Rustic Prince ... But then as I have said before a good NSTRA dog should make minimum a solid gundog in HB venues.
To bad people look for ways to pick apart each venue rather then look at the good points they have. Many when they deal with NLB bred dogs say they sure can pick up a scent from a distance...But ask the hundreds of people breeding pups out there who have NLB in their lines gotta be something there besides just a name

Lobo's Mahogany Blaze aka Woody he was the first Brittany we know that started in NSTRA got his NSTRA CH and then won his region and went on to get an FC AFC Woody was Lobo's Blazin Candy man to Lobo's Blazn Gypsy girl line breeding of Beans Blaze this same Breeding also produced Lobo's Klickitat County Line and Lobo's Rebel Dogg

a good dog is a good dog.... Trial dogs learn the game we want to play...

All Age is not the end all gun dog FC AFC NSTRA AF Navhda ETC ETC none of them are the end all on the perfect dog...The perfect dog is the one sitting in your kennel or at your feet that makes YOU happy

I have also learned a dog that won't place in one venue many times will not do well in another...I had a couple Paul Doiron trial flunkies come my way as the owner thought maybe the dogs would make a good NSTRA dog also watched another guy bring an AF reject boasting how he was gonna clean clock...Only clock that got cleaned was his as his dog was not a competitive dog circled around him made tiny casts that my Silky could out do and left the field open for the other dog to get all the birds and get a placement...

There is some Ajax and Time Machine bred dogs that are doing pretty good ..Just takes a dog with desire to find birds the run to get around the field to beat the other dog and the trainabilty
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 pm

hustonmc wrote:There is a line that everyone is missing. I was curious if anybody else would bring it up, since they didn't I'll stoke the fire. Up here in the North West there has been a well kept secret of Britts for many years. The first Regional Championship for the NW was won buy a Britt back in 81 I think, and every single Brittany that has won a Regional Championship or Region High Point can all trace themselves back to the same kennel. In 2005 a young dog handled by an old man got 8th in Purina High Point, with limited trialing. This dog was Lonestar Fudge out of Guntrader Choclit Demon and Magnum Mark Kaycee. Fudge only ran once a year after about 5, when he was in his prime, due to poor health from his master. Fudge easily could have been a 12+ Champion, but he wasn't the exception. Every pup out of that breeding was an exceptional dog, but almost all of them went to hunters, not trialers. One brother become an AFC, FC. Another brother, Magnum Max Power is currently running, and arguably the top dog running in the North West. He is the first dog to EVER win the Regional Championship more then once. (he has won twice) Again limited trialing. Another brother was the sire to 2010 Regional Champ, Lonestar Duke. These dogs are scattered all over, from California, to Wyoming up to Canada. All of it was spread word of mouth, no internet advertising, no ads in magazines, just hunters seeing others hunters haul out limits of birds. Of course these dog were no Buddy, but neither is any other dog. And these dogs did not have the promotion or field trial exposure. Depends on your definition of success, but if I was looking for an outcross of a proven NSTRA line outside the norm. I'd be taking a trip up North to meet Magnum Max Power.
I've judge Fudge... Very nice liver and white dog... I think I have ran against one of his get, or sibling at the Endurance...