How Long....

Ahumphers91a

How Long....

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:21 pm

on average, how long does it take to get a field trial title on your dog?

Elroy's Bandit

Re: How Long....

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:35 pm

It's not a simple answer, with all sorts of variables to consider. I would say to get an FC on a dog that is run often could take about 2-3 years, but could be shorter or much longer. Depends on the dog, how many trials per year entered, types of trials, etc. JMO
Bill L

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 pm

A lot of people try and some good dogs never get finished. Nothing is guaranteed and you really can't average it out.

LBH

Post by LBH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Some dogs are 8 years old before they get it done, or others like ultracarry who have dogs with a FC title at 18 months old. I don't know if there is a solid answer to your question...too many variables.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 pm

One season in American Field, if your luck holds. I think two to four years is a fair average, though, in any venue. You can finish an AKC dog in weekend trials if you play it right.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:on average, how long does it take to get a field trial title on your dog?
Most dogs will never get a field trial title no matter how long or often they are trialed.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Chief_dog wrote:
Ahumphers91a wrote:on average, how long does it take to get a field trial title on your dog?
Most dogs will never get a field trial title no matter how long or often they are trialed.
Chief PM Sent.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Back at ya...

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:48 am

How much money you willing to spend?
Send the dog to a pro and put him on the circut and you have a better chance at getting it done faster if your dog has what it takes.
Do it yourself and go buy a horse and trailer and all the the tack needed. Trial equipment and training equip. birds and more birds and then don't forget the hours it takes to train . Then enter all the trials you can afford to find out if your dog is good enough to win consistantly.
Oh ya I almost forgot. If you do it here in Utah you only have 3 trials a year so plan on traveling.

Alot never get it done

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:38 am

Dirtysteve wrote:How much money you willing to spend?
Send the dog to a pro and put him on the circut and you have a better chance at getting it done faster if your dog has what it takes.
Do it yourself and go buy a horse and trailer and all the the tack needed. Trial equipment and training equip. birds and more birds and then don't forget the hours it takes to train . Then enter all the trials you can afford to find out if your dog is good enough to win consistantly.
Oh ya I almost forgot. If you do it here in Utah you only have 3 trials a year so plan on traveling.

Alot never get it done
Three trials a year, why so little? I did plan to travel to nevada, arizona and idaho if I could. But is three trials about the norm for any club?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:02 am

Chief_dog wrote:Most dogs will never get a field trial title no matter how long or often they are trialed.
ding, ding, ding...welcome to the American Field. Different venue here...MUST win a Championship trial to secure a title of CH. No RUCH titles appear on pedigrees either. Must be a CH. The recent Missouri SD CH had over 70 entries...can be a lifetime of chasin :) But that is the fun.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 am

Three trials a year, why so little? I did plan to travel to nevada, arizona and idaho if I could. But is three trials about the norm for any club
I'm only talking AKC trials here. There are other clubs that run Af trials around.
The GSPCU usually puts on 3. The VCOU sometimes holds 1 a year. Thats the only clubs around, but the wirehair club just reformed and is talking of holding a trial in the spring.
Why so little?...lack of help. In our club there are 3 of us that do every bit of the trials and we get tired.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 am

Dirtysteve wrote:
Three trials a year, why so little? I did plan to travel to nevada, arizona and idaho if I could. But is three trials about the norm for any club
I'm only talking AKC trials here. There are other clubs that run Af trials around.
The GSPCU usually puts on 3. The VCOU sometimes holds 1 a year. Thats the only clubs around, but the wirehair club just reformed and is talking of holding a trial in the spring.
Why so little?...lack of help. In our club there are 3 of us that do every bit of the trials and we get tired.
An AKC club can hold four trials a year, I believe. It's hard to keep that many
masochists together for that long. We are working on our spring trial, which will be our second. The club didn't do one this year because we had licensing details to iron out. It's a lot of work delegated among too few people. Our preliminary slate for next year is spring walking trial, spring double hunt test, fall horseback (!?!) trial. I'm only in charge of grounds, and I'm already dizzy.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:
kinda figured about the little help. Well, once I get some priorities lined up, im re-joining and I already said I would join the wirehair club since the membership will be free :mrgreen:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Don't bother going to Nevada if your trying to finish a dog. Dirty Steve, highland gun dogs, brad27, LBH, and I will be there. Haven't heard of them giving a JAM . Competition is rough.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm

ultracarry wrote:Don't bother going to Nevada if your trying to finish a dog. Dirty Steve, highland gun dogs, brad27, LBH, and I will be there. Haven't heard of them giving a JAM . Competition is rough.
:lol: :lol:

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm

ultracarry wrote:Don't bother going to Nevada if your trying to finish a dog. Dirty Steve, highland gun dogs, brad27, LBH, and I will be there. Haven't heard of them giving a JAM . Competition is rough.
I would rather show up and possibly get my butt kicked, then not go at all. But I'm looking for more walking trials anyhow, I don't own a horse like many people wanting to play the game.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:
I would rather show up and possibly get my butt kicked, then not go at all. But I'm looking for more walking trials anyhow, I don't own a horse like many people wanting to play the game.
You guys need to put together an NBHA or ABHA club out there.

LBH

Post by LBH » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Mesquite is called "Dirtysteve Town" now! He runs that place!
Ahumphers91a wrote:
That's the spirit...come out to the November trial. I will see if you cant take old Marc out and ride a few braces, he doesn't give anybody any crap. He had a bird flush and hit him right between the eyes last fall and I don't even know if he blinked.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Man I need to put my waders on, Its getting deep in here now!
The only truth in the last few posts is ultra's last sentence
Competition is rough.
The Nov and Dec trial we are holding a walking derby (which is new for us) as a stake in our HB trial for those that want to play but don't want to get a horse.
At our next meeting I will see if we can talk anybody into holding a spring walking trial.
Lantz is going to put on a Hunt test this spring and thats a good way to get started in the dog games.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Ha ha it can get a whole lot deeper Steve.

In all honesty go out, well all try to find you a horse and we won't laugh at you more then we would laugh out our own stupid mistakes. It should be a good time if I can make it. If I can't and I like the judges my dog will be there.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 pm

my dog got enough points for fc in one spring trial season. but the darn retrieving points are killing me.

5 point major in Ohio. 3rd at the badger 1000. 1st in Michigan. 1st and 4th in ilinois. I started field trailing him last fall he ran In 3 last fall and then the spring. bad luck in eureka. non productive point. pheasant championship in nov. and then getting ready for boonsville and all breed

not bad for a nstra bred dog

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:15 pm

nstra bred ? I see a whole lot of fc and afc in that ped for it to be a nstra bred dog

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
Chief_dog wrote:Most dogs will never get a field trial title no matter how long or often they are trialed.
ding, ding, ding...welcome to the American Field. Different venue here...MUST win a Championship trial to secure a title of CH. No RUCH titles appear on pedigrees either. Must be a CH. The recent Missouri SD CH had over 70 entries...can be a lifetime of chasin :) But that is the fun.
That Championship was proof that the shooting dog standard is dead in AF.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:41 pm

I think everyone should get involved. The trials around here are getting tougher to manuever around. Trying to figure out when your dog will run?? Everyone running is Judging. This brace can't go off for thirty minutes because the handler is judging that brace over there. This handler is running the gundog and can't run this dog in the AA. We need more judges. To get more judges you must have experience. Come one come all and bring three friends.

Joe

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:17 pm

That's just poor scheduling....

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 pm

LBH wrote:Mesquite is called "Dirtysteve Town" now! He runs that place!
Ahumphers91a wrote:
That's the spirit...come out to the November trial. I will see if you cant take old Marc out and ride a few braces, he doesn't give anybody any crap. He had a bird flush and hit him right between the eyes last fall and I don't even know if he blinked.
I will either come to the November or December trial, to help though, my pup wont be 6 months til the 20th of December, and my other dog's aren't even close to being ready.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:
nstra bred ? I see a whole lot of fc and afc in that ped for it to be a nstra bred dog
look at his sire his sire is one of the winningest shorthairs In nstra history his litter mate won a national nstra championship. he was bred by a nstra guy. so yes he is a nstra bred dog.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm

NSTRA breeding maybe, but you can't deny all the field trial stock in that dog.... I would say it could prob be good in both venues..

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 pm

I won't argue that but I will say that the fc are way way back. and a good nstra dog is bred with horseback stuff. the one thing that I always hear is a nstra bred dog won't conpete in horseback stuff. but my dog is nstra bred and he competes very well.

I guess the definition of nstra bred would have to be clarified. but I have seen several horseback guys type on here that a nstra dog will never compete in horseback trials.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Well, looks like I will be there for the November ft. If I were only to be able to make one day, which would you choose lantz, brandon....? I'm not brining any dogs, just coming to watch and learn.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Well, looks like I will be there for the November ft. If I were only to be able to make one day, which would you choose lantz, brandon....? I'm not brining any dogs, just coming to watch and learn.
What level of dog are you going to starting your FT addiction with? If you're starting with puppy I'd come out when they are running puppy so you can see what is expected at the start. Most of the time they'll run puppy on the same day as a broke dog stake so you'll be able to see the start and the finished product. Also, ride/walk as many braces as you can. Watch the dogs run, but also watch the handlers "handle" dogs.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Both. Also thinking of hunt tests for one of my males.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:25 pm

took a fall season to get over the greenie syndrome,dog got a couple of fourths,then the next spring..................blueapalooza,#1 breed dog the year he got his FC,ended up #3 all breed led the all breed at #1 until Dec 1 when the Brittany closed stakes palooza started in texas.My dog ran 10 trials in non retrieving only.But as allready mentioned I've hadmy hands on plenty of collars of 10 year old... 9 point dogs as a dog wagon driver