Lab Breeders in ND

Birddogz

Lab Breeders in ND

Post by Birddogz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:38 am

Have a friend that lost everything in a fire. House, 2 dogs, all his vehicles, etc. Very tough deal. I was wanting to surprise him in the future by getting him a pointing Lab. I live in ND. Any advice would be great. Thanks. :)
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Lab Breeders in ND

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:40 am

Sorry to hear that. Good luck finding a pup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 pm

A great act of friendship. Hope it works out. I have no suggestions except I know there are hundreds used by the locals in Iowa. If I can find anything I will let you know.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Good luck, just wanted to mention that to make sure they have health clearance for hips, elbows and eyes, that is the bare minimum clearances for labs.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:44 pm

nikegundog wrote:Good luck, just wanted to mention that to make sure they have health clearance for hips, elbows and eyes, that is the bare minimum clearances for labs.
And EIC.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:46 pm

ACooper wrote:
nikegundog wrote:Good luck, just wanted to mention that to make sure they have health clearance for hips, elbows and eyes, that is the bare minimum clearances for labs.
And EIC.
And CMN.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm

I understand that Labs have been over bred and have issues, anyone know of any reputable kennels in ND/MN/SD/MT?
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:17 pm

I can hook you up with the folks I got both my dogs from.
I have a 3 y/o lab that "points" kind of, when she wants to (provided that I'm not hunting with any other pointers).
I also just picked up a lab/German Wirehair cross. She's just 3 months old, so I can't tell you what she'll be like, but I'm hoping! Half sister to my lab.

I know she had one cross pup left, if you'd be interested in that. Not sure if/when they will be breeding again, and if it would be purebred or another cross.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:23 am

I can't really give you a lot of info., but I did find this on the net.

http://www.northernplainsretrievers.com ... glabs.html

just google pointing lab breeders.....make a few contacts and I'll bet you will find what you are looking for...good luck....and you are to be commended!!!

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 am

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 am

cutty72 wrote:I can hook you up with the folks I got both my dogs from.
I have a 3 y/o lab that "points" kind of, when she wants to (provided that I'm not hunting with any other pointers).
I also just picked up a lab/German Wirehair cross. She's just 3 months old, so I can't tell you what she'll be like, but I'm hoping! Half sister to my lab.

I know she had one cross pup left, if you'd be interested in that. Not sure if/when they will be breeding again, and if it would be purebred or another cross.
Have they crossed GWPs with Labs in the past? I think that would be an interesting cross. One would think that the dog would be a hunter for sure. It would be neat to see a dog get the pointing instinct of the GWP with ability to mark of the Lab. Both dogs retrieve well. For ND that could be a solid choice, I just wonder how the dogs turned out in the past.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 am

I have a guide friend that researched them and he came up with two breeders that he believes were the most advanced. One is in the northwest and one in Wisconsin...it ain't ND but I think it's still a roadie for you...nice gesture by the way.

http://www.almabottom.com/

Joe

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:05 am

Most advanced at what? Must've been some research project. :wink:

I gave NDD/birddogz a suggestion elsewhere - not for "pointing" Labs (though they just might), but for a responsible breeder who tests for all the prevalent issues.

And NDD/birddogz, per your misstatement of sorts, those issues aren't the result of "overbreeding" - performance Labs like those bred by the fellow up to Devils Lake are the most carefully and selectively bred gundogs on the planet. The "issues" only turned up because of the diligence of such breeders in advancing the breed in the first place.

MG

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 am

Most advanced at what? Must've been some research project
...most generations of pointing labs and most NPLA titles
It was quite a project he spent some time figuring out in a national consensus had the most natural point ...you see this is how genetics/evolution works
Therefore he wanted to know who had been at it the longest and what their reputation was...
Me I sort of thought he should buy a pointing dog, but it wasn't my money...and I will save you the winky smug icon...as cute and witty as they are

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:31 am

By your logic and his "research" he did a buying a "pointing" dog, Lord forgive him. Even if he - and you - believe in evolution... And that's not even touching on "their reputation."

MG

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:33 am

Birddogz wrote:I understand that Labs have been over bred and have issues, anyone know of any reputable kennels in ND/MN/SD/MT?

I know of a couple in MN and one in SD. Both are EIC/CMN clear. What are you looking for?? Trials or just a hunting dog?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:38 am

And that's not even touching on "their reputation."
By all means PM the man if you have an opinion on that ... as all I know is heresay, and of course when we speak of reputation it could range from a quirk in peronality, cultural differences or dog and health performance...couldn't it my good man?

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Birddogz wrote: Have they crossed GWPs with Labs in the past? I think that would be an interesting cross. One would think that the dog would be a hunter for sure. It would be neat to see a dog get the pointing instinct of the GWP with ability to mark of the Lab. Both dogs retrieve well. For ND that could be a solid choice, I just wonder how the dogs turned out in the past.
This is their second litter with the cross. The first was an oops, but turned out well. One of my buddies got a male from that litter and loves him. Excellent water dog (excels at muskrat hunting, lol), and has an awesome marking ability on waterfowl. He's not an upland hunter so I can't attest to that.
Turned out to be an 80ish lb male, black with a wirehair coat and body build.