Rehab for my gsp (broken leg) Ideas?

recon033

Rehab for my gsp (broken leg) Ideas?

Post by recon033 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:59 pm

A couple weeks ago I posted the story about how my pup broke his front right leg. Im sure the vet will give me ideas, but in about 2 or 3 weeks he goes back for xrays to just make sure everything has healed ok. They expect full use of his leg with no long term effects with this break and surgery, so if all is well what kind of activities should I do with him to get him back to running the uneven terrain of fields and woods? I was thinking just increased distance walks, and play time in the yard but Im not sure if there are other things that are good ideas to get him doing again. He is already pretty active on his leg, he runs in the house (against my wishes) and walks with a limp that is progressivly going away. Just want to make sure he has a speedy recovery.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Rehab for my gsp (broken leg) Ideas?

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:59 pm

My sis's little pup broke her back leg when she was 12 weeks old. It healed just fine, but the vet recommended leash walks to keep her from sharp turns and uneven terrain. She did a lot of walking and then we also swam the pup quite a bit - but it might be too cold for you to do that now. I'd try to keep her from sharp turns and quick starts and stops - which is hard to do if he's young.

Tissue mend - a herbal remedy was recommended by two vets to my sis and she used it faithfully on the pup. By the time she had her 3rd x-ray, you couldn't even see the break area. My sis swears by it on her horses.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Swimming is fantastic for rehab. Do you have any friend's with either an indoor pool, heated pool, or hot tub?
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:34 pm

The dog broke his leg just 2-3 wks ago? Don't push it! Fractures do not heal in 2-3 wks. That dog should be on crate rest.

Problems happen when owners allow too much freedom to dogs too early. You should consider your fall season as rehab. Dog should return to work next year. You usually start by walking and over time progress to controlled runs, then off leash. Treadmill is a wonderful exercise.

If you want good results for the future, take the time now to rest the dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:The dog broke his leg just 2-3 wks ago? Don't push it! Fractures do not heal in 2-3 wks. That dog should be on crate rest.

Problems happen when owners allow too much freedom to dogs too early. You should consider your fall season as rehab. Dog should return to work next year. You usually start by walking and over time progress to controlled runs, then off leash. Treadmill is a wonderful exercise.

If you want good results for the future, take the time now to rest the dog.
+1 on that! Talk to your vet.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

I agree with the others - there is ZERO benefit to rushing the rehab. Let the dog heal first.

This was on the internet in reference to greyhounds who break their legs.
The rehab process should not be started until the wounds have healed and usually start
after week 6. Six weeks is the standard time in which the bone has healed and the bone
“knitting” process has occurred.
Bottom line: don't rush.

There was a member last year that had a GSP yearling break his femur. You might search "broken femur" on the forum and get some idea on how to manage the dog in the crate for 6 weeks. It's not easy, but it is done all the time. Lot's of chew toys, kongs, etc..

Swimming is magical once the x-rays show that the bone is healed. No weight, yet great for building muscle.

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Be patient. Took my pup about 3 weeks to realize she could bend her leg once the splint was removed.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:02 pm

In no way am I rushing is rehab. I am following exactly what my vet has said, I guess I should be more specific next time, forums always convey wrong information. When I say he runs in the house he is doing this in the time I let him out of the crate to go outside, eat etc. I have followed the vets orders, and the surgeon there actually calls once a week to see how he is doing. I was asking about rehab to see how many people said water rehab. There is a vet right down the road from my college that offers water rehab and I was contemplating looking into this. The surgeon wants me to go back for xrays in 3 weeks (six weeks since the surgery) and if everything looks the way he is expecting wants me to start rehab at the six week mark. So with the change of seasons and it getting colder thats why I was asking for ideas on what I can do when the time comes, water training is something im going to call about tomorrow.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Also it was not a fracture, clean break in the ulna and radius on his front right leg. The radius was repaired with a plate and 9 screws, he was in a cast for two days after the surgery when they instructed to take his cast off. He is 7 months old, which makes this even more of a pain! Growth plate is fine and they expect full mobility. Just some more info.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:50 pm

Fracture=break. same thing.......