Looking for an AA GSP breeding

Dirtysteve

Looking for an AA GSP breeding

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed May 17, 2006 10:40 am

If you were looking for an All Age GSP pup which current breeding sire or dam would you look at?
I understand getting a true AA dog is the exception not the rule but would like some opinions.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed May 17, 2006 11:36 am

actually, there are several good ones. there are several things to consider though. what is the breeding of your dog, and following from that, what kind of a ped would breed best to your dog. what are the characteristics of your dog and what do you want to add, or make sure you don't add, with the particular stud.

Lawdog

Post by Lawdog » Wed May 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Easy now Dirtysteve, what you got up your sleeve.
:D

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed May 17, 2006 12:57 pm

Lawdog
:D :D :D The Boss said I can get a new pup when we move !

Wagon
I'm not looking at breeding any of my dogs. I'm looking to add something new and was wondering if somebody could give me some names of some dogs to look into for a future pup pick.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Might try Dunfur Kennels in Cheney, WA

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed May 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Dan has some good dogs. www.dunfur.com

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed May 17, 2006 3:49 pm

Dirtysteve - I'm always curious when I hear people say they are looking for an AA dog as to what characteristics they are looking for. What are you looking or hoping for in your pup?

Doug Favor
www.hbv.netkennel.com

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed May 17, 2006 4:21 pm

Doug
I am looking for a pup to run some horseback trials. I have two young GSPs that will run a Gun Dog stake but would like something with some more run.
I was just putting out some feelers as to what lines are producing big running winners so I could do a little research.
The two GSPs I have all come from AA dogs (Sonny & Ricky) but have not developed the big run that I want. They are still young but I don't think they will have an AA range.

larue

Post by larue » Wed May 17, 2006 5:23 pm

I would also recommend dan hoke.I watched him hobble a year old
pup that was VERY BIG.
I hate to admit it,but I just sent my eva pup out to him to have him break her.
I was impressed with dan,renee,and his kennels,and his dogs.
I have said I would never have a pro train a dog I owned.Dans work ethic,and kennel conditions,along with his track record
changed my mind.
There is one word to describe what I saw,Class.
I would look at a bitch named scully,if you want a strong shooting dog.I do not know about an all age dog,that was the one thing dan could not show me,as he told me he didi not have one in for training at that time.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu May 18, 2006 3:01 am

Uodibar's Shoot the Moon

Dunfur's Where You Ben

Tonelli's Rising Sun

Shellshocked Frank

Sport's See That Spekk

Flash

In the young dog category, TruBlu's Hud's Kickin Up Dust

My dog, Willows on the Spot

Jerry Paddock has a very nice young dog, am not where I can find the name for you. Dennis Brath runs it.

This is just from memory, so am surely missing some.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu May 18, 2006 4:23 am

Steve - If it's mainly horseback AA field trials you're interested in, your odds of getting a true AA dog are probably better going with a pup out of a couple proven AA pointers. I know if all I wanted to do was win field trials that's what I would do. I'm not a diehard GSP guy because of their prowess at AA field trials.

In either case, there must be more desirable characteristics in a pup or breeding than just more range and more run. First thing I like to hear anybody say about their dog is "best bird dog ever". Just breeding a running machine that doesn't have first and foremost the finding and handling of game is of little use to you and the breed. (sorry, just a little soapboxing!)

If it were me looking, I'd look for an AA GSP that has won hour stakes on big, hot, tough courses, preferably on wild birds, at multiple venues and hopefully has thrown pups that are doing the same. Then when I found that dog, I'd go find his parents and have 'em produce another! I'd say the dog that catches my attn. right now would be that Strikes Flash of Gold dog with hour wins at the Sharptail, a couple Nat'l wins, a couple regional wins - don't know about performance of his pups. I would sure like to hear someone brag they shot a limit of chukars over him though and I'd be glad to give it a try if Eldon wants to send him up this winter! :P

Dennis - you're as bad as me. I hate sending my dogs away, even to Dan's. Taking my Bugsy pup (and maybe my Trixie pup too but I'm afraid I'll cry) up there in June. I'll check on Eva for you...make sure he's taking the hobbles off her now and then.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu May 18, 2006 5:55 am

If it were me looking, I'd look for an AA GSP that has won hour stakes on big, hot, tough courses, preferably on wild birds, at multiple venues
I agree completely in principle, however, there are only two wild bird trials in the GSP world, the Sharptail, and the Reg. 17. All the other "specie" trials are planted and/or stocked birds. And the Reg. 17 is so hot most of the time, it is really not a fair test. the point being there is so little opportunity in the GSP world on wild birds, it is probably not a good criterion to rely on.

Haile

Post by Haile » Thu May 18, 2006 10:11 am

You might want to contact Charles Rose with WildRose GSP's. He has a litter due from his Dora dog bred to a tight bred Dixieland Rusty male.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu May 18, 2006 12:34 pm

"I agree completely in principle, however, there are only two wild bird trials in the GSP world, the Sharptail, and the Reg. 17. All the other "specie" trials are planted and/or stocked birds. And the Reg. 17 is so hot most of the time, it is really not a fair test. the point being there is so little opportunity in the GSP world on wild birds, it is probably not a good criterion to rely on.[/quote]"

Yah, I know John- I'm a dreamer!. That's why it's so important to me that the owner/breeder hunt the dog and be very impressed with his native bird hunting ablilities. I know Queez's first brag about Benny is he is the best hunting dog he's ever had. That's just me though, I'm a hunting guy first and foremost. I may feel differently if all I did was field trials.

Many of the fall trials are so hot that the trial for many dogs is over at the drawing. But "that's field trialing".

More importantly - how do you guys get those quotes to come up in those nice little blue boxes???

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu May 18, 2006 12:43 pm

DGFavor wrote: More importantly - how do you guys get those quotes to come up in those nice little blue boxes???
There is a "Quote" button in the top right of the box for the post.

Best,

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Copy what you want to include as a quote. Go to your message and click quote then paste what you copied and then click quote again. Try it, I think it will work.
More importantly - how do you guys get those quotes to come up in those nice little blue boxes???
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu May 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Copy what you want to include as a quote. Go to your message and click quote then paste what you copied and then click quote again. Try it, I think it will work.
Alrighty then! :D

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Thu May 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Dirty Where abouts are you moving to? Staying in Utah?
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 pm

Yah, I know John- I'm a dreamer!. That's why it's so important to me that the owner/breeder hunt the dog and be very impressed with his native bird hunting ablilities. I know Queez's first brag about Benny is he is the best hunting dog he's ever had. That's just me though, I'm a hunting guy first and foremost. I may feel differently if all I did was field trials.
Doug, I totally agree with you, and do hunt mine to, my trial dogs as well as the "home" dogs out of trial stock.

Just wish there were more of those wild bird trials in the GSP world. Really like em. Seems a little hard to get GSP type people to adjust to the fact that whether there are birds on the course how many and how skittish, is not going to be determined by a bird planters bag. There may be some luck of the draw as well as skill of the dog involved. That is just the way it is.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu May 18, 2006 5:57 pm

John

This last walking field trial we made contact with a guy in ND that has ample land available for a trial. He and the neighboring towns would love to have 1-2 weeks of field trialing in the area.

Dan E spent some time talking with him about the logistics. I am on a self imposed 2 yr sabitacal from chairing or secretarying any events, but would lend a hand in the planning if you guys wanted to get the ball rolling.

As we have mentioned before I would love to see us, GSPC of MN, get a wild bird trial going via the NGSPA. Give it some thought and if you would like to get involved lets all talk pruior to the July 11th meeting and see if we can come up with a proposal for the July meeting.

bruin

?

Post by bruin » Thu May 18, 2006 6:12 pm

Stephen,

Sale me CRASH and then you can get 2 new dogs.

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Fri May 19, 2006 7:10 am

How do you get a picture under your name??

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri May 19, 2006 8:28 am

whiteruger wrote:How do you get a picture under your name??
You will have to go into your profile settings and add an avatar through the "Avatar Control Panel" at the bottom of your profile. If you want to upload a pic from your Computer you will have to resize it to 210 X 210 pixels. If you need help with the resizing, just email your pic to me and I'll resize it and send it back to you, so you can upload it.

Check your PM's
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Sun May 21, 2006 8:22 am

Richard I'm staying here. Just need some more room for kids and dogs.
Are you gonna come down for some Chukar hunting this year?

Bruin
You couldn't handle the Crash miester ! :wink: You would have to buy a horse to keep up with him :D

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sun May 21, 2006 8:02 pm

I am not sure how far along Cash is going to be this year but if you don't mind me tagging along, It's a plan! Next season I am planning a cheap hunting trip to Kansas, maybe I can return the favor :D
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Hotpepper

Allage Breeding

Post by Hotpepper » Mon May 22, 2006 4:28 pm

Right now, June 2006, it seems that everybody is going to the Nuke dog of Steve's. Saw him at the Can-Am from the road and he was lost to the front and from the car we could see he was hunting all of the spots that were ahead. He was not running off.

Dunfur's Latest Edition: (Hunter0

Dunfur's Where You Ben: (Ben)

Dunfur's Hoosier LB (Lil Bud)

Dunfur's Charlie Bailey Gates; (Hank)

Uodibar's hoot the Moon

What is the commonality of these dogs. All have been to the "Moon", that is they were trained, broke and ran through Dunfur Kennels.

If I were on mission to find a going allage dog I would try to find something out of Ramblin Witch Hazel as the foundation bitch. Her and her sisters produced winners, every dog out of those 3 girls, finished, won hour championships and nationals and were all bird dogs.

I would put the emphasis on the history of the producing female, I am going to breed Pepper in the very near future. She is a full sister to Ben, Dunfur's Y Fly, Dunfur's Blown Income, Jesse, and who did I miss.

Her 1st litter produced the only pup that was trialed LB, 2nd litter of Whipper and Sagen, derbies right now and the 3rd litter from last year, all 5 are in the Caden's truck and 3 of the 5 are allage. See anything there that you like, WINNERS.

I would look for a "going" bird dog that likes to point and has a keen nose. Going will come with the other.

LB has been bred to 2 very nice ladies as well, 1 is a proven bitch and the other is her 1st litter. Both should be very nice. Even though I own him and Hoke broke and trained him, Bud can and will roll and find birds. I do feel he is the "brokest" dog in the country at this point.

Just What I Know
:)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Hot pepper is it steve shorts dogs yopu are talking about?

larue

Post by larue » Tue May 23, 2006 4:59 am

jerry,how did you forget hunters brother simon?
Is winnnig the akc pointing dog championship,and being the number 1 limited gundog last year not enough?
I watched simon,hank,along with a few other of dans dogs this spring in the blm,if I was looking for a real bird dog,hank and simon
would be my pick.Now that scully bitch was flawless in her trial.
I look to see her do very well in eureka.
I just sent my eva out to dan,she is the little bitch you had to go get with the wheeler at eureka,when I was training with karen and brian.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Tue May 23, 2006 5:37 am

larue wrote:jerry,how did you forget hunters brother simon?
Is winnnig the akc pointing dog championship,and being the number 1 limited gundog last year not enough?
I thought Simon won the AKC Gun Dog Championship. Isn't Steve looking for an All Age GSP?
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Hotpepper

All Age Pup

Post by Hotpepper » Tue May 23, 2006 8:51 am

Because he was looking for an allage pup, I did not include Joe Obvious, Simon. He belongs in any group of movers, He should probably he in some of the allage stakes as well.

That whole litter of Buddy/Scampi dogs has been outstanding. The litter with Rexx/Scampi is rea good as well. Like some that I listed that I have the 3rd litter is just 9 months old and Brath is breaking them to get a better handle on them, AJ, Chili, Sassy, Jack and Joker are all doing it from the start.

LB goes through the country as well as anyone. He just goes forward and we find him up front "on point". It is amazing.

The pups out of Simon are outstanding as well. Bred to Renee's dog Kelly, I think the pup's name is So Obvious and that one is wonderful and the litter with Simon/Total Bliss has been winning all spring. Really good stuff.

Looking forward to the future here as it will be very good for all of the young dogs that are coming on. Might want to use some frozen Hoosier Buddy stuff here in the near future.

Pepper

larue

Post by larue » Tue May 23, 2006 5:08 pm

jerry I asked dan about buying a simon/bliss pup he ran in training,the pup was not for sale,I was ready to write a big check for the pup.
You and wannabe are forgeting that simon's littermate hunter
is one of if the not the biggest running gsp that dan has ran,if what I was told is correct,and his af pointer all age championship seems to prove this out.
so it seems to me that scampi seems to be the common dog
as ben came from buddy,while hunter came from rex.
if you want a possible all age dog.
I am looking foward to watching your dogs that are with dennis brath,hopefully I can train with dennis some sat.I hear he might be running at pine island on saturdays,so I hope to run with him,but evil eva is out in the big country with dan.
I have been running into "bleep" walters at alot of trials lately,we put up a young bitch in the puppy that is a real nice young bitch,that he owns,she can really move out.Look for her to do very well
in the future,we lost her at the end and she showed forward after time,to put the final note down.
I think he knows all age dogs,as he owns frank.

Hotpepper

Simon/Bliss

Post by Hotpepper » Wed May 24, 2006 7:21 am

I think that pup belongs to Jer's brother in AZ and has been tearing up the country. Jer's pup from that litter Ed is pretty nice and I have a real interest in Seth's pup Whiskey, she is really nice as well and won the puppy at the classic.

Glad to see you have Eva with Dan, he is a very good trainer and she should do OK with him. Very Happy with Brath at this point as well. The new litter he has out of Pepper is really on fire, 4 of the 5 are already tearing up the country and the other one is the best on its game of the group.

All he has to do is take her to the moon enough and she will go around with you. Special place the moon.

How did you like the Eskew ranch.? :shock:

My next litter should be really good out of Pepper as I think we are going to use Ruger, Heller's dog.

Pepper

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed May 24, 2006 8:30 am

i had lunch with "bleep" a couple of weeks ago. he is a character. he does know AA dogs. he should, he has been at it long enough.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 pm

This year is the first year I had done any extensive visiting with "bleep", lots of knowledge and plenty of good stories. Ezpecially some of his scouting stories, he can scout my dog any day!!!

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed May 24, 2006 2:56 pm

This last walking field trial we made contact with a guy in ND that has ample land available for a trial. He and the neighboring towns would love to have 1-2 weeks of field trialing in the area.

Dan E spent some time talking with him about the logistics. I am on a self imposed 2 yr sabitacal from chairing or secretarying any events, but would lend a hand in the planning if you guys wanted to get the ball rolling.

As we have mentioned before I would love to see us, GSPC of MN, get a wild bird trial going via the NGSPA. Give it some thought and if you would like to get involved lets all talk pruior to the July 11th meeting and see if we can come up with a proposal for the July meeting.
There's guy trying to get a GSP club started up here. I think he goes by Double A and lurks on this site once in a while. He might be a good point of contact. I know he visits the nodak.com site. Maybe he's reading now.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm

thanks tom, i got his email from "original mngsp" and also the email for another fella out in the "bleep" area that was interested in setting up a club as I understand it. I have sent them an email and we will see what happens. If you are interested, will let you know what transpires. My understanding is that there is some interest in setting up a "bookend" trial, which is a weekend AKC trial before or after the Ch. That would, in all likelihood, be an "open" trial if it were run by a GSP club, cause GSP AKC stakes are just never closed to other breeds. So there would be an opportunity for a Gordon to run in ND.

Better get yer dawgs ready.

(Of course, much to be worked out, including whether it happens at all.)

larue

Post by larue » Wed May 24, 2006 5:21 pm

john,richard was able to get my run off boise dog around three of the 4 corners at crow haskins,as he was scouting for me,I was impressed.He also liked scouting for my old gundog at the min walking trial,he told me max was a neat dog,and that he had alot of fun scouting for him.
I really liked talking to richard ,he is a fun guy,I hope to be able to
judge a few stakes with him,someday.
I looked for you at the trial,I thought you might show up.
I see we have to call him richard or the program will bleep it.
I liked the look of his pup,I might have to get in the line early as he is going to breed her after the futurity,to one of his all age dogs.
I have been seeing some outstanding young dogs coming up.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm

i figured that was where the "bleep" came from. D-i-c-k. i do know a few people who have called him "bleep", but that is probably true of all of us.

he has mellowed over the years.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

An everything dog

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu May 25, 2006 6:52 pm

How would you like a dog that can run all types of events? I am currently looking for a stud for my female. Engelhardts have Mercy. She is not known much. But she excells at everything we try. I am about to try some United field trial and American field trial. There isn't much to run around here. I would love to try the Horse stuff. It would be interesting to see if she would take to that also. She is so competitive I think just running with a coupel of big runners would be all it takes. She runs as big as the land is. and can find birds in a dust storm.

She is a NAVHDA dog. At 15 months old she got a prize 1 Utility score. Then she got her Master Hunter title while we were waiting for the VC Then in 2004 She became a VC. Since then we have been playing the NSTRA game. I think she is the only steady dog in NSTRA. She has a 1st, 2nd and two 3rds. It should be three 1st but my shooting isn't so great. She runs as big and bigger than most of the Pointers and Setters. More importantly she is a great hunter and great retriever. It takes her a few bumped birds to settle down when we head out in the ruff woods. but after a couple bumped birds she is great. She is 48 pounds solid liver, Penn HIP .30 and .28 scores. She loves to go.

her Dad is Engelhardts Ben Von Seiger Boss VC, Dam is Moseggards Trachadie MH

I have only done one litter with her so far. Unfourtunately only one pup was produced. We will be training that pup this summer. Can't tell much from just one pup. But she seems like her mother (MERCY). and she likes to go. She will be bred next winter or so.

Just a thought. I don't know much about Horse trials.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

wannabe

Re: An everything dog

Post by wannabe » Thu May 25, 2006 9:52 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:How would you like a dog that can run all types of events? I am currently looking for a stud for my female. Engelhardts have Mercy. She is not known much. But she excells at everything we try. I am about to try some United field trial and American field trial. There isn't much to run around here. I would love to try the Horse stuff. It would be interesting to see if she would take to that also. She is so competitive I think just running with a coupel of big runners would be all it takes. She runs as big as the land is. and can find birds in a dust storm.

She is a NAVHDA dog. At 15 months old she got a prize 1 Utility score. Then she got her Master Hunter title while we were waiting for the VC Then in 2004 She became a VC. Since then we have been playing the NSTRA game. I think she is the only steady dog in NSTRA. She has a 1st, 2nd and two 3rds. It should be three 1st but my shooting isn't so great. She runs as big and bigger than most of the Pointers and Setters. More importantly she is a great hunter and great retriever. It takes her a few bumped birds to settle down when we head out in the ruff woods. but after a couple bumped birds she is great. She is 48 pounds solid liver, Penn HIP .30 and .28 scores. She loves to go.

her Dad is Engelhardts Ben Von Seiger Boss VC, Dam is Moseggards Trachadie MH
What does she look like on point?
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri May 26, 2006 5:44 am

I think she is the only steady dog in NSTRA.
There's a shock for you :lol:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Not bad point

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri May 26, 2006 7:35 pm

She is very staunch about a 1 or 2 clock tail head might be a little low for your game (looking at these photos). She quivers when on point. sometimes a leg up. I am kind of biased but she is a great dog. and her sire and dam are great also. I don't know if I have any photos of her on point. I don't think I can figure out how to get it on here any way.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri May 26, 2006 7:40 pm

Ricks 3 x NSTRA Ch that finished his FC this yr is pretty broke too. He ran and placed at the DOY Trial one weekend and won his 1st broke stake the next. He will go for his MH this yr.
brenda