Crate size and SUVs

Steve007

Crate size and SUVs

Post by Steve007 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:53 pm

I guess this is tthe first time I've started a thread here, as I am primarily a lurker (and very occasional "chattter") rather that an active poster, If this has been discussed before, just link me to the thread. This is a good board and I'm hoping for help.

Here's the story. My fine Jeep Cherokee is perfecly suitable for my dog and my partner's dog (GWP and ES). He usually drives(Expedition),but we can get by with my Cherokee if we need to . BUT I have a new dog comng in mid-Dec (adult male GWP;I am excited!) and my Jeep won't work for three crates. So I need a new SUV, though it won't be new. I have a regular good-milage car, so the SUV is a limited-purpose 5 K miles-per-year machine. I don't see any reason to spend big bucks for 5-6 K miles per year.

I do not want a great big SUV. My Jeep is only 166 inches long (67"wide) and I would kill myself (OK; not really) with an Expedition-sized or Tahoe-sized truck; it just isn't what I want. The problems is that my hardshell airlines crates are 23 1/2 wide (maybe 24, to be safe) and the distance between wheel wells in mid-sized SUVs is less than 47. (examples: Trailblazer/pre-2004 Durango 46"; Explorer 42"). The exception is the Honda Pilot which is 48.50". Here's a link with this info, by the way http://home.autos.msn.com/default.aspx

So..is there a hardshell crate suitable for a big GWP without a"lip" as with airline crates, as that's a problem? Without a lip, I'd save 2 inches. Wire crates are out, as are dog trailers. Or am I missing a possible non-superbig SUV? Pickups aren't an option.

I am strictly an upland birdhunter, by the way. Field trials, hunt tests, muddy or icy rutted back roads, but I don't have to climb the rockies. A Pilot has 8" of road clearance and would probably work, but it is really a "crossover" (imo). Might work. But if I could find a non-"lipped" crate 22'' wide, it would broaden my choices a lot.

JeremyS

Re: Crate size and SUVs

Post by JeremyS » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Ruff Tough Kennels would be the way to go imo. You can check them out at http://www.rufftoughkennels.com

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 pm

JeremyS wrote:Ruff Tough Kennels would be the way to go imo. You can check them out at http://www.rufftoughkennels.com
+1 very nice crate

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Love my ruff tough

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:48 pm

What size do you recommend for even long trips and, in the case of the new dog, sleeping in it at night? Will a 50# GWP bitch fit in the Intermediate and a 65# male fit in the larger one?

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm

I have never had a problem fitting 3 crates and myself and a buddy in a Jeep or Nissan Xterra. two crates in the back and one sideways to be accessed with the rear passenger door. Gotta pack smart but it shouldn't be a problem, just did it last weekend.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 am

I have intermediate sized crates and they are fine for a 60+ # pointer. The dogs can lay down and curl up or just lay out flat as they choose.

I know one pro who retrofitted his trailer with intermediate sized crates and he travels extensively. He said the original kennels were a bit too small for many of his dogs. His pointers and setters are not small dogs.

RayG

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 am

I have 2 ruff tough kennels. I like them a lot. They don't have that edge on the side that make them bigger like the varikennel. My Grif is only 18months old, but is 60+ lbs and 26" tall at the shoulder, My lab is 86 lbs. I can fit both the Intermediate size in my VW Golf. Both dogs do not have any issue with Intermediate size. I choose this size based upon the following video available at the Ruff Tough website: http://youtu.be/6iicVExEb6k

When I train with a friend and I drive, we have to take my Land cruiser. 2 Kennels in the back, 1 in the back seat sideways.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:18 am

Check out the Easy Loader crates. I have the Deuce and it's great. Google easy loader dog box. Good Luck.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:23 am

I prefer the intermediate sized crates as well. My 60lb shorthair fits in just fine and it isn't too big for my 35lb setter. Another option might be a custom sized box from Northstar Plastics. They are high quality and reasonably priced. http://northstarplasticsinc.com/

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:14 am

Is there a reason you don't want the wire style crates? If I lay the rear seats down, in my Ford Escape, I can fit 2 definitely and I'm fairly certain a third would fit as well.....It'd be cheaper to replace crates than a vehicle. Does Toyota make anything smaller than the Forerunner?

-John

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 am

mcclinj wrote:Is there a reason you don't want the wire style crates? If I lay the rear seats down, in my Ford Escape, I can fit 2 definitely and I'm fairly certain a third would fit as well.....It'd be cheaper to replace crates than a vehicle. Does Toyota make anything smaller than the Forerunner?

-John
I think Toyota still makes the Rav 4, but that would be about the same size if not a little smaller than an Escape and definitely smaller than a Cherokee. I don't want to sound like I'm second guessing you, but why is a pickup truck not an option. A nice mid-sized pickup would be able to handle 3-4 crates nicely in the bed and could put a cap on it.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:25 pm

BillGraves wrote: I don't want to sound like I'm second guessing you, but why is a pickup truck not an option. A nice mid-sized pickup would be able to handle 3-4 crates nicely in the bed and could put a cap on it.
I was thinking the same thing... Apart for not wanting a truck sounded to me like you are describing a Tacoma with a cap.

I've had to many nasty, smelly dogs to take home to want them in the passenger compartment with me.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:27 pm

I have a Honda Pilot and love it for the most part.
Can get 2 - 400 Vari Kennels in the back, (one of the few mid size SUV's that this can fit) and one behind the front seats with them laying down.
However... mine is a 2005 and the fold down seats don't lie flat! Can't believe I didn't check that out before I bought it.

An adult GWP can survive in a 400 for a night or two or three. The setter could go into a smaller crate, as could the GWP girl.

That set up works, but doesn't leave much room for anything else you gotta take with you. If I had to do it over again... believe it or not.. a Honda Mini Van! Seats fold down into the floor... nice room inside.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I know you mention the Expedition/Tahoe as being too big but I have tried about everything out there and if you go back several years, the old Tahoe, Yukon, and even the old full size Blazers in 4WD are hard to beat for a hunting SUV.

My preference is the 4door Yukon/Tahoe which was based on the short-bed truck platform as opposed to the Suburban which was full size.

Those vehicles are shorter wheelbase (very maneuverable) but wide enough for 3 vari-kennels across the back (on a platform raising them above the wheel wells).

Just something to consider.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 pm

We bought a Saturn Outlook/Traverse/Acadia. Reason? 3 vizslas and 1 baby.

I can fit 3 slim intermediate crates (not sure of brand but bought at PetSmart and are lipless as well) behind the 2nd row of seats and have some room for other bags and gear as well. With seats down I can get 4-400 varies in there. It gets OK fuel mileage with AWD. Highway is like 20-21 but you really got to feather it. 17mpg around town if lucky. Wife has heavy foot.

Good luck with that. At the time we looked there were only 2 vehicles we could pull this off with. The GM crossover and the Ford crossover.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Aha! I knew I could count on this board for approprate info.

To answer a minor question,I don't do pickups because under "normal" conditions (as in clean dogs) when we are just
driving somewhere and space amd unfamiliar dogs are not issues, I like my dog(s) in the back (not the front) seat. They usually sleep (or sightsee), but it's nice to feel a fuzzy head on your shoulder sometimes and I do talk to them sometimes as we drive. If I had a destructive dog,it would be different, but mine are house dogs.

My partner has 24" crates wth side "lips", and I can't very well ask him to buy a new crate to fit in my Jeep. So the Cherokee has got to go,and Jeep-sized SUVs or crossovers wouln't work.

Knowing my bitch will fit in a 20" wide Intermediate crate gives me a lot of flexibility. Kmack may be right; I looked up the older Tahoes and they, like the older Durangos, are not as large and cumbersome as I thought. The RuffTough crates give me a lot of options I didn't think I had. Thanks!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Mine are house dogs as well, but they are still dogs. They roll in stinky stuff and get sprayed by skunks...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am

Our Outlook has more room than a Tahoe. Just saying.

The new Durango's I think are more like a crossover.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:20 am

Buckeye_V wrote:Our Outlook has more room than a Tahoe. Just saying.

The new Durango's I think are more like a crossover.
When I look up the inside wall width in the cargo area fro a '97 Tahoe it shows 64.3" (enough for (3) 20" wide crates) whereas the Outlook shows to be 50.2" which is less than enough. You may be correct that there is more room somewhere, but not in the rear opening where it counts in this instance.

Just Sayin...

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Go look for yourself my friend. I rented a 2009 Tahoe and tried to put 3 crates behind the second row of seats. It would not work. I can do it in Outlook. I cannot fold the 3rd row of seats down in a Tahoe and put crates on top of them. i can in my Outlook, take crates out at destination and then have an 8 passenger vehicle.

Go look in the back of a Tahoe and look in the back of a Otlook/Acadia or Traverse. See for yourself.

I aint callin you a liar, I'm just saying I did my homework VERY well before I plunked down $30K

Justin

SCBoykin

Post by SCBoykin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:11 am

So maybe I am over simplifying.......but why don't you cut a couple of 2x10's the length of one crate and sit one crate 2" higher than the other (pad woth non slip rug underlay). If your crate is like mine, this will allow them to overlap and solve your problem for the cost of scrap 2x10x8. Whole lot cheaper than a new SUV or even a new Box or two.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:42 am

I tried that solution as well for a while and it worked OK. I used the insulation sheet so it did not weight that much.

Good call!

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:Go look for yourself my friend. I rented a 2009 Tahoe and tried to put 3 crates behind the second row of seats. It would not work. I can do it in Outlook. I cannot fold the 3rd row of seats down in a Tahoe and put crates on top of them. i can in my Outlook, take crates out at destination and then have an 8 passenger vehicle.

Go look in the back of a Tahoe and look in the back of a Otlook/Acadia or Traverse. See for yourself.

I aint callin you a liar, I'm just saying I did my homework VERY well before I plunked down $30K

Justin
The newer model Tahoes/Yukons (like the 2009) have only 48 inches of width at the cargo area which I agree is 1" narrower than the Outlook.

But I said to go back to the older style (1997 or thereabouts) which are roughly 63" inches wide or roughly a foot wider than either the newer Tahoe/Yukon or your Outlook..

Plus, mine didn't have the 3rd row seat.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 pm

I missed that. I was not looking at the older models because this is my wife's vehicle and she wanted a "newer" vehicle. :lol:

Anyhow, we also liked the Toyote Sequoia but had problems finding a good used one.

I have thought about making a custom dog box with 3 modular compartments for my needs, but time and money are always in such short supply.

Justin

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 pm

well, gentlemen, a Saturn crossover is not in my future, but it is 50.20" wide AT WALL (no information disclosed between wheel wells) whereas a 2000-2006 Tahoe is 59.80" at wall and 49.10"' between wheelwells. Newer Tahoes are precisely the same at wheelwell. Length of cargo is similarly significant.

Link to source stated in original post. A Tahoe is a big machine. I think a GMC Envoy or Chev. Trailblazer (46.10 between wheelwells) would work for me with some new crates. So would a Tahoe, of course, but it is pretty big compared to what I've been driving.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 am

OK. Just know that every Tahoe owner that has looked at my machine is envious of the useable room and functionality - and the improved fuel economy. The ride is much nicer too. I can walk up our gravel driveway that is snow and ice covered, cruise down a highway at 55 in the same nasty crap and it handles with ease. Just know that I had the very same intentions you had and the Tahoe would not work. See if you rent one for a day and try it. That is what changed our mind.

Good luck.