Breed help?

deke

Breed help?

Post by deke » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:11 pm

In about two years I will be retireing one of my dogs (Lab) and am thinking about picking up a pointer. Now i have narrowed my search down to either a GSP or a Vizsla. In all my searching I have found that GSP's are generally better hunters, well lets say more natural hunters. Where as the Vizsla's are a more hit and miss breed. I already own two labs, and they are great dogs. But like many of you on here know they hunt close and are really only usefull if you are hunting heavy cover, otherwise a pointer would be a better idea. What I am looking for is a pointing breed, works semi close, smart, and from a line of dogs that are just bird crazy. If any one has any suggestions, or would like to recommend a breeder for either dog, or even another dog for that matter ( except Brittanys ), something to point me in the right direction would be helpful. Like I said I have two years, but a direction would be nice. Pros and Cons of each dog?

deke

Re: Breed help?

Post by deke » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I should say, Im not set on only those two. Other suggestions are welcome

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm

what kind of birds do you hunt?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 pm

A vizsla bred right can be every bit the dog that a GSP( or other breed) is, with that said you will find excellent v's in smaller numbers than you generally will gsps, based purely on number of dogs available. Regardless of breed it is no less important to do your homework and buy from a reputable breeder.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 am

Its very easy to find a bird crazy english pointer,nearly all of them are. Where the pointers get the bad rap is they are rumored to be wild self hunters. Ferrel Millers common sense dog training video shows you how to get the pup to look to you for guidance and want to be with you and hunt for you. Immense amounts of talent are bred into these pointers just not everyone knows how to harness it like Mr Miller does. As far as house pets there are none better in my opinion. Its better to train to handle than train a dog to point and hunt. :D

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:32 am

A vizsla bred right can be every bit the dog that a GSP( or other breed) is, with that said you will find excellent v's in smaller numbers than you generally will gsps, based purely on number of dogs available. Regardless of breed it is no less important to do your homework and buy from a reputable breeder.
Agree 100%. A good V is going to take a little more leg work. Get in contact with josh Mcpherson{spelling?} he is out in Utah I beleive. He knows the whos who out in your country. If you can`t find him let me know I could, if I take the time. The V is going to cost about twice as much as the GSP so be ready. But well worth it.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:49 am

I have gunned for a good visla at a akc event, they are out there! But like Vman said do your homework. Have the breeder demo the parents at the least.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 am

I would go with a GSP out of proven NAVHDA lines. Thunderhead is the kennel that I would go with if I were getting a GSP.

I can tell you that a PP from a NAPPA breeder would be my first suggestion. Great personalities, phenomenal hunters, the best NAVHDA record of any breed. Especially those out of Cedarwood kennels. I don't see any downside to a PP.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:46 am

I had always owned labs myself, until I picked up an english setter. And Ill never go back. My dog is an absolute bird finding machine, and she is young. Plus, in the house, a perfect citizen. A lot of it, IMO, is what a person likes appearance wise, as if a person does his/her homework, and finds a breeder who does their job and takes pride in their breedings, every breed has great dogs. Initially pointer and setters worried me, as I always heard how big they run. My setter definately isnt a bootlicker (at least not in my opinion) but its not a problem as I thought it would be prior to actually hunting with her. Im bias, but I think a setter would be a great choice. Of course I dont know what/where you hunt. JM2C. Good luck in your search.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 am

Gsp, French Brittany, Puddel Pointer. Thats it. :mrgreen:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:23 am

Dan Hoke is over near Spokane, really good GSP's. Gene Mahoney has some really nice E. Setter's over there also. They are smaller than a lot of the setters, good house dog's too. Gene used to do a lot of NSTRA. Quicksilver GSP's is around Moses lake, good stuff. There used to be a woman from up by you somewhere that trialed in AKC some really nice Vizlas, Jackolin De Rue. No idea where shes at now. Down near Portland is Brian Hill. He and his wife are putting out some nice shorthairs.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:29 am

Said it before: it's much more about the breed-er and the breed-ing than the breed.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:13 am

Wow, lots of opinions covering lots of breeds. I can see i need to be more specific. This dog would be strictly an upland dog, as i have labs. I have looked at setters but i just dont find them to be pleasant to look at, i dont like long haired dogs. All we do is foot hunt, so big ranging dogs are not an option. Mostly what we hunt now is cover, whether it be cattails or tree lines. I have been looking into GSPs the most out of all breeds, but have been looking at wirehairs also lately. Is there such thing as a GSP that is birdy at birth that does NOT want to run into the next county? Also, looked at a PP, I saw one out of Oregon a few years back and liked it, but looking more, most of them are flat out bad looking dogs. And we all know, the best looking dog finds the most birds. :lol:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:25 am

Pudel Pointers cedarwoodgundogs.com

GSP's Walnut creek. Shooting Star, Thunderhead kennels, Most Dogs adapt to cover.

French Brits: Mark Dinsmore on here has great dogs. http://www.frenchbrittany.org/
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 am

deke wrote: Is there such thing as a GSP that is birdy at birth that does NOT want to run into the next county? :
Never heard of such a thing! :roll:
Where as the Vizsla's are a more hit and miss breed
OUCH!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :P :D
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:05 am

In the PNW here we have some of the best kennels in the US for Pudelpointers,Wirehairs and Drahthaars....Some great Navdha GSP kennels as well. Those are the breeds i would look at first....if you want a list of recommended kennels to talk to pm me and i'll send you a list.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:07 am

Plenty of GSPS that will fit what ever your looking for from the so called runoffs to tripping over range !! :D

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 am

You might also consider the Wirehaired Vizsla. If you are a duck hunter now, it would be hard to pass up the mudholes. I have smooth Vizslas and a wirehair Vizsla. The WHV is able to handle the cold just as well if not better. Look at what you want, I think you will be happy with whatever you choose. The GSP, vizsla and others that have been suggested are all good dogs and their owners or fanciers would not tell you otherwise. Find a breed that you like, then look for a good breeder. Ask around and make sure that the breeder is not just telling you what you want to hear but the dogs can back it up.

Good luck

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 am

I have owned labs for 30 years, wanted a pointingt dog and got a gsp 25 yrs ago, the disposition and perswonality with family are much like a lab. Good bird dogs that will fill ur coat.

PM sent

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

deke

Post by deke » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 pm

That is why i am leaning towards a GSP. everyone that i have been around acts like a lab around the house, just acting like a 80 pound puppy. I have been looking at GSPs that were bred for the grouse woods and was wondering if these dogs would be better, or if i should stick with a field trial type line. For the more birdy dogs?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Pudel Pointers cedarwoodgundogs.com

GSP's Walnut creek. Shooting Star, Thunderhead kennels, Most Dogs adapt to cover.

French Brits: Mark Dinsmore on here has great dogs. http://www.frenchbrittany.org/
Now this is a great list. Pick any one of these, and you will be happy. :)
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 am

Where are you at in NW washington? I can show you a pair of birdcrazy setters that I bred together,and the product of what that breeding produced.I can also give you the name and number of a fellow who breeds some nice wirehairs that trace back to Helb and Cascade Steamer.Jennings is right pick the breeding and the breeder.It took me 10 years to find the right female worthy of breeding.Out of the 9 setters I've owned only 3 have made the cut to qualify for reproduction.30% were complete junk,30% were better than average but not worth the risk,and the last 30 were EXCELLENT.My pointer mentor on the breeding aspect told me " Kid ya ain't never going to get close to excellent with #%$*."

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:47 am

I would be checking out wildweeds setters if i were you. Its much better to see it firsthand.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:17 am

I am up in Bellingham, two hours north of Seattle.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I am in Ferndale,your close you know where Sandy point is?Intalco hunting area? You could hit my house with a slingshot from either.

As a note....................I let a guy try my old dog for stud some years back and had to call him to retrieve the dog back after 2 months,he told me....."I'd hoped you weren't going to call to get him back,he's great in the house and my kids and wife absolutley love him".That dog would lay around in the house and meld into the dog bed and act invisible.Get a shotgun out and he'd be 100% the other way...........on fire.One of his grandsons appears to have the same in the house M.O.,mellow and a snuggler.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

Sandy point Small world. I grew up in Ferndale , my girlfriends aunt and uncle live out there on the beach I was out there countless times this summer. Do you hunt out at lake Terrel very often?

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:13 am

If you want a good V check out Durite kennel. Carrie and Mike have some mighty fine dogs. I've watched several generations run.

If you would like a grey version you could look into a Weimaraner. :wink:
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH