GSP Bloodlines

Greek

GSP Bloodlines

Post by Greek » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am

Was hoping to get some general knowledge on GSP Bloodlines.. Now I am a greenhorn so I have no clue what so ever on bloodlines for the GSP. What are the most popular lines? - Which ones are best known for high prey drive, birdiness? - Do any lines produce a larger dog or thicker bones? Are their lines more geared toward field work compared to hunting?

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Bloodlines

Post by snips » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 pm

If learning about bloodlines and what they produce, you can't beat the GSP Yearbooks..Dogs and pedigrees are there and what they have produced...
brenda

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Man start reading :) whele has a great book, H F Seger has a great book from the early days. There is a couple more that are around give the history and such. Lots to learn out there.

as for me I like the ones that dont bark a lot and hunt like its the only thing in the world to do.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Vision

Post by Vision » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:04 pm

There are very few bloodlines(families) left, they have mostly been homogenized into one now.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Take a look at my web-page. Here's a link called,"dogs of the past", this has some of the most popular lines since the late 30's in some of the dog's cases I have listed.
http://nextgenerationgermanshorthairs.n ... The%20Past
let me know if you have any questions on lines, I can help you the best I can.

Edit, also, get the book from Robert H. McKowen called, "The New Compete German Shorthair". This book is probably the best with the history of the breed and why we are where we are today.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:44 pm

There are very few bloodlines(families) left, they have mostly been homogenized into one now.
WOW must be looking at different GSP's then i see .....

There is a ton of differences in GSP's today especially when it comes to size and function would suggest you go to hunt tests /nahvda events /field trials / conformation shows/ the hunting fields to see the different gsps in action and see what you like and dislike and when you see some you dislike ask what blood is behind them when you see what you like ask as well what blood is behind them .....
thats how you learn bloodlines ...

sure lots of times you will get I dont know or old blue from down the street answers but you will quickly discover the differences some lines have..

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:50 pm

briarpatch wrote:
WOW must be looking at different GSP's then i see .....

There is a ton of differences in GSP's today especially when it comes to size and function would suggest you go to hunt tests /nahvda events /field trials / conformation shows/ the hunting fields to see the different gsps in action and see what you like and dislike and when you see some you dislike ask what blood is behind them when you see what you like ask as well what blood is behind them .....
thats how you learn bloodlines ...

sure lots of times you will get I dont know or old blue from down the street answers but you will quickly discover the differences some lines have..
I was thinking the same thing.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way