New Jersey Youth Pheasant Hunt-2011

jcbuttry8

New Jersey Youth Pheasant Hunt-2011

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Well, today was a great day full of young men and thankfully even more young women than last year. So, I decided to share a few photos as I sit here and enjoy a few freshly cooked pheasant tenders. I hope you all enjoy and maybe just maybe this will put a fire in a few of you to start your own youth hunt.

Here is what the morning started off like as we all signed in and sorted out who went with which dog handler. I should add there were several dog owners that showed up with their dogs and had no kid of their own. Thanks to all of them. They really made the day go well.

Here is a picture of my son and his friends waiting to go out. Mine is the goofy one in the front.

We each took 5 youth hunters and a box with 10 birds. Here is the boys getting set to hunt. We had just put out 3 birds.

So here we are lining up for our second go round. I got to watch my son shoot his first bird. I have no pictures of the shot because instead of picturing it I was in awe watching it. Nothing could make you more proud.

So we had 5 young men and 10 birds. As you can see in this picture 5 young men, two fantastic bird dogs, and 6 birds in the bag. Each of the boys shot at least one bird. That my friends is what you call a great day in the field. I hope you enjoyed. My son actually shot two birds today. There were leftover birds so we took two and ran Kona and her litter mate Ace each on the birds. Kona did great on her first pheasant and my son has been bragging all day that he is the first to ever shoot a pheasant over Kona. She pointed the bird in great style and gave hime one awesome shot at his second pheasant. I forgot the camara at the car. Sure wish I had a shot of that.

And as par with this area of the country, the boys cannot take a picture into school with guns, so to show what they did we had to take pics without the guns.

Hope you enjoyed,

Joe

Greek

Re: New Jersey Youth Pheasant Hunt-2011

Post by Greek » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:37 pm

WOW now thats what I call a big turnout. Sounds like a great time!!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeah, it really was an awesome time. We turned out over 120 birds today and still had 20 leftovers that we released for the few who still wanted to shoot more birds. Nothing better than to watch a kid carry his first bird around in the field. Really no way to wipe off that smile.

Joe

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:34 am

Greek wrote:WOW now thats what I call a big turnout. Sounds like a great time!!
And that is only one of 9 WMA'S! The one I was at had a similar turnout as well. There was 30 or so dog handlers and probably around 50% didn't have a kid, myself included. We were divided up into groups with 6 kids and ended up having almost as many dogs as kids. :lol: Was a good day, although my group didn't have the same harvest ratio as the OP's.

BabyColt207

Post by BabyColt207 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:50 am

Great to see such a turnout. I just returned from a local WMA which also held a NJ youth pheasant hunt event yesterday. Was hoping we could come across a leftover bird or two. It was pup's first time on anything other than planted quail. Some good dog work with 2 solid points and one runner he couldn't quite figure out and ended up bumping. Very pleased for only an hour or so. Thanks to the young guns for leaving me a few.

bwire

Post by bwire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:50 am

Looks like a great day. Glad the kids had a good time.