Ryman Setter information/help

m2244

Ryman Setter information/help

Post by m2244 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello,

I am trying to convince my wife that our family needs a Ryman Setter instead of a lab.

Can someone give me a first hand account of how Rymans are with kids. I have an 8-yr-old son who is a bit hyper and has a slight sensory issue which cause him to want to squeeze tight when he hugs. My wife is concerned that a setter might bite him someday because of this. I am trying to find out from people, other than the breeder of the dog we are considering, if a Ryman would be less likely to bite.

Respectfully, I am not trying to start a conversation as to whether or not other English Setters are just as good in the home as a Ryman. I am simply looking for some information about Ryman Setters from people who have had them.

Thanks for the help.

pinebrookkennel

Re: Ryman Setter information/help

Post by pinebrookkennel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Sir
I do not have a ryman setter but I do have a 8 month old english setter. I think your asking a very general question
about a breed of dog. You may have too look into the ped to find if there's any agression.
As far as the biting our setter pup will play ruffhouse with our kids (nip bite jump on) but no
more than our last dog that was a lab. One point I would like to make is only a stong NO will settle the horseplay.
So to the piont, the setter we have now is no more agresssive than our last pup the lab.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 pm

its gonna be an issue of Working with your Son (not trying to be an @$$) and not worrying about what kind of dog you get, any dog can be pushed a little to far with a child hugging or playing a bit to rough, it may come down to you not being able to get a dog till your boy gets a bit more age or limiting his interactions with the dog to only when your right with him. JMO
Joe

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:03 am

I had a Ryman type as a kid and have been around many. I honestly cannot remember a situation where the dog was anything but docile and pleasant. I also had a Lab. They are both very docile and good with children. The Setters are less bouncy around kids and much more reserved. When it comes to being poked and pulled on by kids I would say it depends on the actual dog and the socializing it receives. With the longer hair and longer ears the Setter might feel a bit more of a kid. Of the all the dogs in this group, though, none is more tolerant of what a kid can do than a Spinone.